Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Loop 10-40 meters & 40-80 Meters Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Loop 10-40 meters & 40-80 Meters
 Alpha Loop 10-40 meters & 40-80 Meters Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Alpha Loop offers you a light 10-40 Meter transmit/receive magnetic loop antenna that is quick to deploy. An optional 40-80 Booster Cable makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling TX/RX on 40-80 meters, which also improves efficiency on 40 meters over the standard 10-40 meter configuration. To use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.
More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Loop 10-40 meters & 40-80 Meters.

AB7MP Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2015 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The loop works great. I was "motel mobile" for the IARU 2015 contest and worked LU4AA/F on 5 watts with the loop in our 2nd floor motel room (north/west side of the building) in Ritzville, WA. That's 1325 miles / watt (your mileage may vary).

The 1st time I keyed up, I had too much RF into the keyer, so I moved the antenna about 3 feet and the problem went away.

One thing that helped me was a long cord on the straight key. I could key the transmitter while I was close enough to the antenna to tune it.

This was my first use of the antenna and am looking forward to using it again.

K8HGY Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2015 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Works good if outside  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had problems making contacts but after Steve looked at the antenna at The Dayton Hamvention he found a minor problem with the cap box. I now have had good results on 20 mtrs using a KX3 working from a portable location in Az. SWR is easy to adjust by tuning for MAX noise, then fine tuning with the SWR indicator on the KX3.The antenna tuned ok on 40 mtrs but not much luck with contacts.

HB3YPG Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2015 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Le CV très sensible  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tout d'abord, je tiens à vous transmettre mes premières impressions sur 15m. Plusieurs QSO entre 1'500 et 3'000 km avec une puissance affichée sur mon FT-857D de 15W. Très surprenant cette boucle magnétique avec peu de QRM et une excellente réception des signaux. Il a été relativement facile, à l'aide du Micro Tune de pouvoir calibrer et obtenir le meilleur SWR sur les bandes de 40, 20 et 15m. Toutefois, la bande des 10m me donne du souci pour accorder l'antenne dans les meilleurs conditions avec un SWR minimum. rapport prix qualité très bon. Service après vente très bon. Steve répond à nos courriers électroniques le jour même ou le jour suivant. Excellent compromis pour une taille de un peu plus de 80 cm de diamètre. Thank's Steve for your product. Patrik, HB3YPG

KE0CZJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alpha Loop Jr is a great portable QRP antenna! I bought this antenna for use with my FT 817ND. I needed an HF antenna that would fit into my checked luggage, is easy to use, and works as many bands as possible. The Alpha Loop Jr meets all my requirements. I bought the Alpha Loop Jr at the Kansas City Ham Bash. The antenna is extremely portable and comes in its own bag with a 3 foot tripod. I took the antenna home and easily tuned 10 -40. From inside my second floor office in Kansas I made a 1200 mile QSO into Canada with VE6AO on 20 meter using just 5 watts. (Just above the noise level but he heard me) The antenna hears great also! Buy with confidence from Alpha antenna. The antennas are made by hand on site. I liked the Alpha Loop JR so much I drove to the Alpha work shop and purchased the 10-80 vertical.

DL2AKV Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2015 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Good performance. Workmanship: meh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the Alpha Loop as an indoor and portable antenna. I had a week of heavy use to get to know it.

Before buying it I experimented with various indoor wire antennas, such as random wires and dipoles. My apartment is pretty long, so I can fit a full size 30m dipole in it.

After assembling the Alpha Loop I compared it with said dipole on the 30-meter band and was very surprised to hear a significant difference on receive. With the loop the band positively came to life and I started logging contacts, many of them on the first call and, more surprisingly, I often received better signal reports than I gave to the other stations. This was all done with a Yaesu FT 450D and 10 watts out in CW. I have also tried 40, 20, 17 and 15m with similar success. So far, the furthest "dx" was about 3000 miles on 15 meters. In terms of performance my first impression of the antenna is very good indeed, bearing in mind that I use it indoors.

That being said, I was disappointed by the workmanship of the antenna itself. For 400 euros (approx. 420 US dollars at today’s exchange rate) I expected a more, shall we say, refined package. It seems to me that none of the metal parts are machined, except for the tripod, which is apparently supplied by a third party manufacturer. The antenna elements look handmade to me – not in a good way. The capacitor box looks equally dodgy, the TX-lamp sticking out at a weird angle, the useless and illegible tuning indicator scale (sticker) about to peel off.

At a significantly lower price point I would have chalked it up to economics, but for 400 bucks you can do a lot better and you should, particularly when you sell into a market like Germany, where quality expectations are very high. The Buddipole, for example, is in the same price range as the Alpha Loop and made to a much higher standard. I would hope that the Alpha Loop gets to a similar level of quality in the future.

N5MQK Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2015 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Ease of use while sitting down empowers a disabled ham.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Physically unable to install or maintain an outdoor antenna,I was fortunate to discover the Alpha 10-40 Meter Magnetic Loop Antenna.Not only is it lightweight and portable,but,it works well indoors: I worked Ca,Id,Mi,Ma,Cuba,Mexico,Brazil,and Aruba using 5 watts output.Tuning the Alpha Loop is critical but easy.I can obtain under 1.5 to 1 SWR while sitting.I just turned 75 and the Alpha Loop has provided me a unique opportunity to continue to enjoy Ham Radio.

KW7FX Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2015 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great antenna for traveling. It all fits into its own custom bag. Easy to set up and operate. I was Working in Quincy MA when I ordered the loop antenna from Steve. I set the antenna up in my second floor apartment. My farthest contacts were on 15 meters. One afternoon I made contact with Luxembourg over 3500 miles at 5 Watts! The following day France again 5 watts. I was very impressed. The Loop is well made and right here in the good old U.S.A. The support at Alpha Antenna can not be beat. It rates higher than a 5

KG7NWC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for my Elecrart KX3!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Alpha Loop for a simple and portable antenna for my KX3. I had talked to Steve (N0TES), before buying this antenna, and he satisfied all my questions. He even installed a BNC antenna connector on my loop at no extea charge, to match my cable too. I received the antenna, and had it unpacked, assembled, and set up in my dining room next to the window in about 10 minutes. Nice sturdy carrying case, along with a tripod, came with the setup. I could not tune better than a SWR of 8:1 on any of the bands! I called Steve, and told me to move it at least 5 foot away from any wall, windows, or solid parts of the house, and to use at least 3 watts for tuning. I moved the antenna, and was able to tune a SWR of 1.1:1 on all bands! I tried the antenna out in the evenings on 20 and 40 meter bands, and the reception is outstanding, and can turn the loop to maximize the reception, and null out QRM from other directions. I recommend that you bypass your installed ATU and tune the loop with its tuning capacitor light, and fine tune for minimum SWR off your rigs SWR meter. You do not need an ATU for this antenna! The bandwidth of the loop antenna is very narrow, and you need to retune when you change frequency, in order to have optimum performance. After you get used to the loop, it can be retuned in about 30 second, at your new frequency. The loop has given me clear reception of stations in the US, Alaska, and Israel, all from a 34" diameter loop in my living room! Waiting for my electrical contractor to replaced some faulty circuit breakers, and have not tried a formal transmit test. Highly recommended as an optimized QRP antenna, working indoors, or with restricted space available. I would have to say from my experience, that customer support is exceptional! Thank you Steve.

W5GZT Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I finally got a chance to put it together Friday, and set it up on my Sun-Porch with the top of the loop about 6 inches below the ceiling.
The loop was vertical, and the direction ( looking through the loop ) was basically east-west. I used the KX3 on internal batteries for
this test, and it performed very well. My worst case SWR at various frequencies/bands I tried was 1.54 with careful tuning and using
the KX3 metering circuit. I used a 12' RG-58A/U cble and no counterplise.

I made a few contacts with no problem, and encountered very little noise with the setup. During the day, I tried different bands
between working in the yard, and found that the operation was very consistent. During the early afternoon, W1AW code practice
on 7.0475 was running S9+. Yesterday ( Sunday ), I took the loop outside and set up using a 25' cable to allow me to sit in the swing
with the loop out in the open. Signals were good, and a few contacts made on 40 and 20. My operation is about 90% CW, and I just
didn't try any other modes.

Great operation, and easy setup. My only complaint(?) is that the tuning box just barely fits in the canvas bag and it is slightly difficult
to get it zipped up. I suspect that the case will stretch a bit with use and that won't be a problem.

I also have the MOTO and whip, and think I will try a shock-cord whip with it when I get a chance. I have heard of some users working
with some of their Budipole parts using the MOTO. Since I have a good assortment of their stuff, I may do some experimenting as the
weather changes and I don't have to do so much yard work.

I did have a question about using the loop in a horizontal mounting arrangement. I sent an email to Alpha support and got a fast response
to my question. Good support from them for their products.

KA6UTD Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded to 10-40M Alpha Loop with SWR Indicator & Micro Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got to update you on my upgrade to the latest version of the Alpha Loop. Simple micro tuning with 6:1 reduction drive allows me to easily 1) Tune to loudest noise floor & 2) Transmit with a few watts and tune till the Built-In SWR Indicator is brightest. Sets up in 5 minutes and is so small I usually just leave it assembled. Easily handles 30 watts PEP SSB (far above QRP) and it even tunes to a SWR less than 1.2:1 on 10 through 40 Meters (with its' internal tuner). DX is no problem at all and I frankly couldn't be happier with this 100% American Made product, including their raw materials!