Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2
Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A Superb portable MW receiver

You can write your own review of the Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2.

VK2GJF Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Great MW radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just recently purchased the Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2 portable radio. The main features are that it has Synchronous detection and an linear analogue dial. How does it perform? Firstly don't buy this radio if you are looking for a shortwave portable receiver as it only has 6 crystal locked Nikkei frequencies, so if you don't want to restrain your listening to those frequencies, choose another portable! On FM, the radio handles itself pretty well, nothing spectacular here so as an FM DXer, look elsewhere too. Ok so why did I buy it? I've read many reports of its ability to pick up MW stations and as I enjoy high performing MW radios, I took the plunge. What an excellent radio it has turned out to be for MW! Excellent sensitivity and outstanding selectivity especially when the Synch detector is employed. Having a linear dial made tuning easy. Pitting it against my Sangean PR-D5 found the Sony with equal sensitivity but slightly better selectivity. Audio was weak and thin compared to the PR-D5 but adequate. The Sony heard everything my Sangean heard. The only advantage the Sangean had was the digital display and stronger audio. I put it up against my Sony ICF 2001D with the EX5 Mk2 being far superior on MW. I will test it against my National Panasonic DR22 as well. One annoying thing was an image of my local AM broadcaster on around 594 khz. The Sangean had no images at all. I suspect the Sony isn't double superheterodyne on MW. Can I recommend buying it? A definite yes! Depending on your listening preferences on MW, either the Sony ICF-EX5 Mk2 or the Sangean PR-D5 will satisfy most. Having Japanese characters on the radio is no problem, the radio is self explanatory in operation and besides, you could make up a card and insert behind the pointer with more accurate calibrations and local MW station call signs if needed. A worthy radio in anyone's collection.