Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV-82
Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $ 49.95 retail from several deale
Description: Inexpensive Part 90 approved dual band HT from Baofeng / China.
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV-82.

KI7GXV Rating: 3/5 Nov 17, 2017 13:41 Send this review to a friend
UV-82HP - just ok  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought a UV-82HP through an authorized online retailer about a year ago.

Pluses: Inexpensive so if I lose or break it it's not a great loss. 8W tx. Standard features for a dual band HT. Will rx FM broadcasts ok. With CHIRP & the right cable it's easy to program. The manual is fairly well done. The rocker tx switch for 2 channel use is convenient. It's light and compact. The white LED is handy.

Negatives: Can't configure the LCD backlight to stay off - if you tx, it lights up and that's just the way it is. The earbud / mini-mic is junk - maybe it's just me but this design never fits or stays on/in my ear. After only a few uses the mic/spkr jacks failed which resulted in no tx with or without the ear/mic plugged in. So I got to experience their rude US support, but I did get a replacement in fairly short order once I confirmed where to send the failed HT for repair/replacement. Tx range even with an upgraded Nagoya antenna is not what I expected from an 8w HT. For reference, I have two sub-watt Alinco HTs that have similar range even without upgraded antennas. The worst thing is that I and others have received rf bites off one of the battery terminals when tx-ing - has happened on numerous occasions on both the original and replacement HT. The original battery needed some shaving in key locations & the electrical contacts of the battery & the charging dock needed some sandpaper to get the thing to fit into the dock properly and charge reliably.

Summary: It's inexpensive and you get what you pay for. Even at this price I would not buy another, I just can't trust it to last or perform when I might need it most.

WA7SGS Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2017 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna makes all the difference!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The stock antenna is not a very good one. I went with the RH-660S and it turned this HT into a decent performer.

How I rate my HT's:

ICOM V-80 with an RH-660S scores a 10.
ICOM V-80 with stock rubber duck scores a 9.
UV-82 with RH-660S scores an 8.
UV-82 with stock antenna scores a 6.

I discovered this telescopic antenna on the miklor website. It was the best one by far according to them. They were right!

Accessories: Tha handmike is junk. There is no AA battery pack available. At least a cigarette lighter adapter that replaces the rechargeable battery can be had.

Programming: I can manually program this HT but that is akin to mating elephants and herding cats...LOL! Get the cable and do it the easy way.

Bang for the buck, the Baofeng UV-82 delivers!

Rick

KD8VMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2017 14:38 Send this review to a friend
great little ht  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently own 2 UV 82 models. These are a great radio for the price. I also have 4 uv5r. I highly recommend the 82. Its is more rugged than the 5r. These are great. Audio performance is pretty good also.

W9JTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These are awesome little inexpensive radios. They can do so much more than 2 meter and 70 CM. You can also use them on FRMS and GMRS and monitor weather. You won't feel bad if you drop and break one at $29 dollars. Use Chirp and the Baofeng USB programming cable and it is real easy to program.

KM4HIL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2016 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for <$30 on Amazon  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio. It only does 5W unlike the newer HP running 8W. However you can find it for <$30 on Amazon. Using Chirp to freely program your radio you have a great low cost setup perfect for teaching new hams and boyscouts.

K7HZN Rating: 2/5 Sep 11, 2016 13:19 Send this review to a friend
A freebie update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Less than a month after receiving this radio, it developed a problem.

Memory will no longer store the offset direction. If I enter the info in frequency mode, it will transmit and receive just fine but if I shift to channel mode and call up the frequency, every thing is there except that one important bit of info.

Makes the radio of limited use.

WK3P Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2016 18:56 Send this review to a friend
For the price great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like that the transmit switch rocks up or down.
You can monitor two freq push up and talk on one or down to talk the other.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2016 03:33 Send this review to a friend
CHIRP secret   Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll give it a 5. It is a 5 watt dual band HT. What more do you expect or want?

If you have trouble with CHIRP, try this. There are many different versions of the firmware in the radio. The trick is to use CHIRP to download the radio contents onto the computer. This produces a spreadsheet. Copy and paste the data from your spreadsheet over it erasing what you downloaded. Then upload the result to the radio. That assures the compatible firmware goes back on the radio.

WB9CUX Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2016 17:43 Send this review to a friend
SMA to BNC antenna adapter note  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for about 2 weeks and haven't usd it much yet mainly because I couldn't find a decent Sma to Bnc Adapter. I tried a few like DHT and they fit fine but after close inspection of the radio antenna connector, I noticed scratches in the gold coating on the radio center pin. I think I have found the right combination now. I ordered an EXPERT POWER adapter on Amazon Prime and after inspecting the pin again, no damage was noted on the center pin. To stop the adapter from turning when disconnecting the BNC cable I bought a #9 O-ring from ACE Hardware and put it under the adapter. This worked great and I think it will work for you. WB9CUX.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 3/5 May 19, 2016 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Good toy for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a few of these cheapies to loan to friends when hiking, camping or kayaking.

The build quality is so-so, but they work well and are easy to program with CHIRP. There are 127 memories.

The UV-82 is worlds better than the common UV-5R in terms of quality and feel. The latter are like a cheap plastic toy.