Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung UV-82
Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $ 49.95 retail from several deale
Description: Inexpensive Part 90 approved dual band HT from Baofeng / China.
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung UV-82.

N7IGW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2015 15:37 Send this review to a friend
good ht  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the ones sold on Amazon for $29.95 and both programed with chirp no problem
I will add you need to have a good cable no a cheap Knock off With the good cable and chirp I moved the file for my UV5RV to the UV82 programing took less than a minute.
You can't beat these for bang for yer buck. they have great rx and tx audio much better than the Thf6 I sold
So quit yer belly achin about what it doesn't do and use it. you get what you pay for and in this case it is awesome.
Not every HT offers what everybody wants so we have to decide what is and what is not important when we buy these at $29.95 price must have been most important.
Oh well just my cent and a half
R- E -D (retired-extremely- dangerous )
73s

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Best HT So far !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great HT you do need buy cable to program this ht is not easy unless you know what you are doing ! FTDI cable is best way to program the HT !

Other then great HT for me, needed to replace uv-3R other reason I brought this uv-82 HP really love this HT !!!!

Jackie
N4MJG

KJ4DGE Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a bridge between buying a cheap mobile and a HT with extra power, this fits the bill.

AD0NP Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great radio for the price. I have had two for about 8 months with no problems. You give up some features, but they are made up by the price. You can't compare a $35 radio to a 2 or 3 hundred dollar radio. I've got better reception and better transmit than some of the high dollars stuff, always makes me smile.

W4JPS Rating: 3/5 Aug 22, 2015 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Firmware is everything.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, so this little rig is neat enough, but it largely depends on the firmware you get as to if it is a 4 or a 1 rating. I have purchased 4 over the last 2 weeks.

The units from baofengtech.com seem to all have firmware that is supported by CHIRP, making them enjoyable to own and operate. The others, although about 30% cheaper (under $30) on amazon are issued with a weird firmware version that isn't supported by the current daily build of CHIRP. Thus, they are not programmable unless you don't mind doing so manually. For my 127 memory "map", this process takes more time than I am willing to put into the little bugger. I am returning the non-US warrantied units and will be replacing them with ones from baofengtech. If anything changes I will post another review here.

It is essentially a repackaged UV-5R, but it fits in the hand better and has a better speaker by a marginal amount. The audio quality isn't 1W as I believe is advertised though.

I think I will order an easy to operate Kenwood 2m only rig as well. Being able to go to VFO mode and quickly program a memory without having to recall the radio's logic in my head is more important than I realized.

K0HWY Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2015 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Good transceiver for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned my Baofeng UV 82 for nearly a year now and I'm generally satisfied with its performance. As I read through these reviews, I see lots of individuals rating the product on features it doesn't but should have, comparing it to other transceivers made by other manufacturers, etc. My review is based upon the product described by the manufactured versus its performance based on those claims. The UV 82 delivers the goods for which it's billed and at a very reasonable price. This was particularly appealing to me because I use my portable radios a lot when working on my hiking trails, cutting firewood, etc. At less than $40 new, if I would happen to damage the radio, I could easily replace it for less than the cost of repairing it. Therefore, I figured if I get 2 years or more out of it, I've got my money's worth. In my opinion, if you want a good, dependable radio at a bargain price, you can't go wrong with the UV 82. By the way, listen for me on 29.60; I used this in conjunction with my Yaesu FT-8900R operating cross band from deep in the forest during the Fall and Winter.

N3RSJ Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2015 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Ok for the $ but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have baofeng uv-82 vhf uhf ht.
I had it for almost a year no failure.
The Bad # DTMF Buttons ABCD dtmf controllers cant hear them digits on 2 controllers this could be issue for some.
2# Programing a pain manually easy by PC
and don't quit like the uv5RA, R+ ect software does same cable uv 82 small software file goes in fast always works.
3# Battey capacity ok not as good as UV-5R
Ok for $40 amazon.RX TX ok on ht.

Needs improvment :Working S Meter, switchable single band display,Upgraded thicker optional battery 2500ma or higher.
Enough said" I like using this radio has a
nice feel and good spk audio,TX audio is clean and controlled talking the mic hole.
UV 82 better then (uv-5r its constant sq opening) & uv5r has funky TDRauto band exchange didnt like that best used TDR off
The UV 82 has 2 ptt 1 per band rocker ptt.
But not perfect works listening 2 bands aat once and thats awsome for monitoring.

Also UV 82X 2m/220mhz @ 3 months old LED flashlight quit,the duckie gives radio hi swr sqeals on tx "replace duckie (nagoyla 220 mono duck amazon)or find triband duck.
DTMF A B C D buttons controller cant here?
Good 4 programing it 220, replace antenna and use 220 ht on local repeater or talkaround! Ok,I miss my flashlight!

N8FVJ Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2015 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Terrible Programing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like convenience. Unfortunately the UV-82 is ridiculous to program. I sold mine due to being too inconvenient. I suggest buying a good used older HT from the 'big three'.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 20:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
MY FAVORITE OF THE 3 BAOFENGS I HAVE ...GREAT RX AND TX AUDIO ... A PAIN IN THE ARSE TO PROGRAM BUT FOR $30 A POP WHO CARES ... I GOT OVER IT ...
AND VLC NOBODY CARES

M0ODV Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second review of the UV-82 after using it hard for a week or so and it still works fine.no failures so far.

I peeled the Baofeng label (sticky back tape) off the front and it looks better,left no marks just like its unbranded.nice.

Manual programming took a while to get used to as its not clearly explained in the manual.infact i watched a youtube video on how to do it.
One thing i dont like that really spoils the radio and thats the ugly flashlight.

Front-end is not that bad,i hear a repeater 30miles away on its own SMA-F antenna whip.
I also have a POGSAG pager system near my QTH 400w output that occasionally breaks through,but it was the same on my Yaesu FT7800.bleed bleed bleed.
Yes glad i got this one and for 24 its a bargin,That impressed i ordered another UV-82 plus a programming cable.10/10 baofeng very well done,good product.