Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Alinco DX-SR9T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR9T
Alinco DX-SR9T Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $799.00
Description: Alinco DX-SR9T 1.9 - 29 Mhz 100 W All Mode + SDR Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-SR9/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR9T.

K2SOG Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2016 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Basic HF SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Alinco DX-SR9T knowing what it is. A budget HF amateur/general coverage radio with the opportunity to experiment with SDR. I picked this over the Icom 718 due to FM operation capabilities and SDR. I do not expect Lamborghini performance from a Hyundai. I ordered the radio from HRO on line and was dismayed to learn they shipped the radio from HRO Phoenix, not the nearby New Castle, DE store (8 day arrival). Once received, setup was without issues. I tuned to 10M (my preferred band) and made a quick contact to AZ from NJ. Audio report was good with stock mic. Freeware programming software and freeware SDR software are a definite plus. I purchased two 6 foot 3.5mm stereo cables from K-Mart (Radio Shack had none, LOL). My trusty old Yaesu VX5 serial programming cable works fine with this radio. The SDR software (KG-TRX)is NOT plug and play. I purchased a new Sound Blaster ZX sound card, installed in my Dell XPS desktop with Windows 7 and spent a few hours tweaking settings. After a full weekend, I must say I really enjoy the SDR features of the radio and software for MW/SW/Amateur frequency hunting. On MW AM, I logged Chicago, Canada, and Boston stations from my location in NJ in between local NYC powerhouse stations. SW/Utility/Amateur HF had similar results on receive. I have not tried SDR transmit (no microphone yet). Cons have already been noted on this radio. No variable power, tuning dial on SSB limited to 10hz on SSB. Mic gain, beep volume, side tone volume, and QRP power adjustments require removing the cover and turning a pot. I find no need to make adjustments at this time. High power SSB PEP 120 watts, Low power 8 Watts, Super low 1.8 Watts.

Summary: I think I found the perfect radio for my needs and budget which are MW/SW/Utility/Amateur frequency hunting via SDR and casual HF Amateur transmit operations. Your results may vary. Thank you Alinco.

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great find  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I was in Tokyo a few months ago I bought one. It cost $500.00 new It is a Japanese domestic radio so I had to "modify" it for USA use. It two jumpers to do that

All I can say good receiver, a 150 watt transmitter, and great audio reports. I use a Kenwood 60 desk mic with no mods

I am happy with radio

de
George, W6GF

AE5YJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 15, 2014 21:15 Send this review to a friend
my final review after extensive use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to like this rig, I really did. The SDR shortcomings are likely not ever going to be addressed as it seems Alinco is pushing HRD's latest buggy support of this radio as it's recommended option.

SDR aspect is great for receive only. As stated before this does not merit the significant price increase over the SR8. It's bandwidth is narrow and software is buggy. Using it with other 3rd party SDR programs is cobbled and problematic at best.

Alinco really pushed the SDR aspect of this radio, and when it fell short, they seemed all too happy to abandon it to third party developers, none of which seem interested in producing a working solution.

I tried, I really tried to work digital with this rig using the DVOX option. Since this basic rig has no method of measuring or adjusting ALC, you are forced to do the soundcard "slider dance" in an attempt to be a considerate operator and emit a clean signal. After way too long trying to get everything to play nice together, click on another spot in the waterfall and you must do the slider dance again. I am done. This could be fixed if RF power could be adjusted incrementally instead of Alinco's arbitrary three settings. It could also be fixed with ALC metering. No dice.

This rig seems fine for casual SSB or CW operation at the arbitrary power settings that it has. That's it. The SDR was a disappointment, working digital as advertised with DVOX is impossible (if you don't want to emit a splattery signal) and lack of any real serious filtering leaves you with a basic rig, voice only. If that's what you want, please purchase the SR8 and save the cash. I am dumping this at the first opportunity, hopefully recouping enough to get something with variable RF out and ALC metering.

KT9O Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2014 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Look for the secret "Menu 24" option !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 3rd review on this radio. By now, if you have read the October 2014 ARRL review on this radio, you know that the rig has an extra menu that is NOT listed in the ops manual. It is Menu 24. (This means that the radio has 26 Menus in the parameter setting menus, rather than 25). This unlisted menu defaults to "S-RT-IF". What it means in not known to me at this time, but it absolutely changes the audio output characteristics. The ARRL review found good success when the setting was left at default. I found the muddy audio became full spectrum with the setting at "S-IF-RT". Experiment with it and see what it does for you. I now get good audio reports using my computer desk mic that failed to perform using the default settings. I hope this will be of value to those who are experimenting with the Alinco SDR.
73 and good luck.
Ted

VU2JE Rating: 3/5 Aug 14, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
SDR Settings Tricky  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SDR needed some effort.. budget priced usb sound card did not work.. had to buy an expensive creative usb sound card.
Had to set a port setting through device manager in windows 7 to the port indicated (port2 in my case).. till this was done it showed "com fail"
The reception is still intermittent and will have to figure it out (now there is a general band hiss, but no stations are shown in the water fall)

THIS IS AN UNACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF PRODUCT TO BE RELEASED ON THE MARKET WITHOUT THE SETTINGS AND SOFTWARE BEING ADEQUATELY TESTED, WORKED OUT AND MADE USER FRIENDLY

W9NMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Surpring results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a new DX-SR9T while at the Dayton show and took delivery a week later. This is a "first impression" review, which I intend to follow up later after I've had more experience with it. I have not enabled the SDR elements, as I'm still waiting for a new audio card to come in.

I have only used the xcvr on 40m, as that's all I have up right now: a 40m dipole at about 25' feeding the Alinco's 100W to it. I'm using the standard mic, too, and powering it with a Jetstream JTPS31MB power supply, which also seems to do a great job.

As a rule, if I can hear 'em, I can work 'em. A few weeks ago 40m opened up and there was a huge pileup on I2VRN in Italy. He came back with 58 on the second call. I also worked a little on Field Day and rarely had to make a second call. There were pile ups on several W1AW/? stations and I usually got through on the first call.

I'm still learning the all of the features the rig has, but so far, so good. The rig is larger than many similar units from Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood, but I find these fat old finger work better with the Alinco. People sometimes ding it because of the front-facing speaker, but I think it is perfectly acceptable. Transmit audio is very good.

I'll be back after I get the SDR component working, as that's a major reason why I bought the rig. I should also know more about its many features at that time, too.

KK4OWL Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been searching for a radio that would do stand alone analog and sdr, wow this radio fits the bill. I've recieved signal reports from all over the world at a 5 9 plus 20 over in the continental United States and usually 5/4 to 5/6 into European Russia and Asiatic Russia. What a great performer! Pairing this with the Carolina curtain beam I've got a good match. SWR is usually 1.1 and 1.3 to 1. Reception is clear (even with the little speaker on the front). My only beef with the radio is that little speaker. Other than that an excellent choice for the. The guy at Ham Radio Outlet in Atlanta matched Giga parts on the price so I'm not complaining there either. If you want a good radio that won't burn a deep hole in your pocket I recommend this one.

KF5WKL Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the radio. Set up was easy. SDR was easy to get setup.
Only problem I have is the software will not tx in SDR mod. It gives me an error "TX frq out of range.

If anyone knows how to fix this please email me paul@kf5wkl.com