Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng/Pofung UV-82L Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng/Pofung UV-82L
BaoFeng/Pofung UV-82L Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $55.99
Description: this is the 2013 Newest BaoFeng UV-82L dual band radio. It is a micro-miniature multiband FM transceiver with extensive receive frequency coverage, providing local-area two-way amateur communications along with unmatched monitoring capability.Upgrade the battery capacity.18cm high performance booster antenna, support longer distance and receive signal more stable. The more human- friendly thing is it with two signal indicators, one is for send signal and one for receive signal, it use newest focusing lens design and higher brightness. 3000mAh super capacity battery has longer battery life.

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng/Pofung UV-82L.

VE7RJZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2016 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, but don't buy it from Radioddity  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Baofeng UV-82L radio exceeded my expectations for a Chinese built 2-way radio and I would recommend it as a good value for the money. They are not manufactured to the standards of Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu, but the price is right and you definitely get what you pay for. I do have an issue with Radioddity, the supplier that sold me my UV-82L radios. Avoid these guys like the plague. I tried to order some programming cables from them back in mid-January and now it is March and still nothing. Oh, you can bet they took my paypal payment, but the bogus tracking number they provided didn't see the package leaving China and my attempts to resolve this issue with Radioddity have been futile.

The Baofeng UV-82L is a really nice radio... Avoid Radioddity at all costs and find a more reputable supplier for your purchases.
N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2015 00:17 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
N8FVJ Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2015 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Avoid.....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The handheld failed within a month- tone board issue. Also, unfriendly to program. I also lost even more money buying an extra battery.

I recommend buying a good used ICOM, Yaesu or Kenwood HT. May cost $100 more than the BaoFeng, but you will receive user friendly high quality HT vs throwing your money away like I did.
W4JPS Rating: 3/5 Aug 23, 2015 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Same rig as a UV-82  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the same radio as the UV-82 (non-L variant). These appear to be sold as having a longer lasting battery in some cases. ALL batteries currently available for the 82 are the 1800mAh regardless of their markings or price.

With respect to all the UV-82s (X, HP, and Std/L) they are all ok if you get one from I have purchased 5x 82s from 3 different vendors on Amazon of all variants. The non-us warrantied units generally have firmware marked as N822411 but this version of that firmware is different than that same version released a few mo ths ago. It is missing RX roger beep for second vfo and do NOT work with CHIRP even though supportfor the original N822411 was added mo ths ago...
NO6I Rating: 2/5 Dec 18, 2014 07:02 Send this review to a friend
I have to yell in it to be listened.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The only remarkable problem I have with this radio: poor modulation. I have to talk very loud to be heard, something unpleasant for rag chewing on the local rpt. I tried also with 2 different external microphones with no luck.
The lack of a memory/vfo switch is an annoyance, but the dual ptt is nice once you get used at it. I guess that for less than $50 you can't ask much.

N7IBC Rating: 3/5 Oct 4, 2014 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Okay right now  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received one of these UV-82L's to try out. I have previously had Yeasu, Kenwood, Icom and Motorola HT's. All worked fine, and was reluctant to switch to a Baofeng, but the local SAR unit uses the UV5R, so I figured why not.
I bought 2, one UV5R and one BF-F8+,which was a complete mistake. Both failed,one did not program as the firmware was toast, and then the very next day, with a UV5R, it's receiver was dead as a rock.So, a local had the UV-82L. I went ahead and got it from him, and so far, it seems to be "ok".
I work with the local FD and the local SAR group, and need something to get by with since I can't use my VX-6R there. It seems okay, but I will reserve my judgements for later.
KK4JUG Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 19:53 Send this review to a friend
So good I got two  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my first UV-82L about 6 or eight months ago. I was so impressed, I bought a second one a couple of weeks ago. The last one came with a programming cable (Kenwood style) and a mini-CD with programming software. The cable is nice but the software left a lot to be desired. It never would recognize the proper port for the cable. I fell back to the Chirp software and, as usual, it works like a charm. I love the two channel monitoring and the rocker-type transmit switch.

Actually, there's nothing about the radio I don't like.

I work with a state search and rescue organization. I handle communications in the mobile command post. (This is a 40-foot bus with satellite phones and internet, programmable UHF/VHF public safety radios and marine, aircraft and low band FM radios. On the ham side, it has UHF, VHF and HF.) We have a collection of Kenwood handheld radios that are used for communications in and around a venue. I'm considering changing over to the UV-82L radios because of the ease of programming and versatility.

All in all, the radio is an excellent performer at a bargain price.
KK6CXA Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2014 08:24 Send this review to a friend
I like the UV-82 a lot. Good feel and nice audio, but poor batt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the UV-82L for 4 days now. It is a nice radio and has good audio in both the receive and the transmission end. It has a full 5 watts of power over the UV-5r's 4 watt max. The keys have changed a bit, but it's not a big issue for me.
I always install a BNC adapter on the antenna SMA connector to make it easier to swap between antennas. Using an 18 inch dual band antenna dose makes a big difference in performance.
Really the only down side to it is the battery issue.
The 82L's are suppose to be shipped with a 3000ma li-po battery, but this isn't the case.
After reading several reviews on the radio which say the battery is only an 1800ma li-po I decided to contact Baofeng directly.
They confirm through direct e-mails to me that they DO NOT MAKE A 3000ma BATTERY FOR THE UV-82 and that QUOTE, "UV82 and UV82L are actually a same radio. UV-82L is labeled according to our customer's requirement."
This is a little upsetting as I could have bought a new UV-82 for $39.00 but instead I fell for the $49.00 UV-82L to get the 3000ma battery.
I think this is a bit of price gouging on the part of some dishonest re-sellers. I think that if I pay for a 3000ma battery I expect to get one.

On a good note, Baofeng did also say that they are aware of the fact that the 1800ma battery is a bit too small and are currently developing a real 3000ma battery for the UV82.

Still a great little radio for the price.
KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 06:48 Send this review to a friend
For the price of dinner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
$39.95 delivered. For the price of a nice dinner for two. Worth the price, and a little more. Programming software if free, about what it is worth. But is does work. USB programming cable has the same fake Prolific chip, so you have to fake the USB driver in Windows.
Has a bigger speaker and more audio than the 5. Battery marked 2800mah. But read this is a mismark and it is only 1800mah. The battery did work for two whole days tho. You have to turn on TDR if you want Dual Watch.
BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2013 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the uv82L yesterady. After doing some operation, I found something interesting on this radio with my baofeng uv5r.
I think everyone can try to do this like me.
First I set the uv5r 136.330 in A band and 470.630 in B band. And then as for the uv82L, I set its A band 137.000 and B band 470.630,which it is the same B band with the uv5r.

The two radios are using the A band at the same time. Everybody may know the two radios cannot communicate because they are in the difference frequency. But it is at this time that I used the uv82L, push its down PTT key, and then I found the band of the uv5r was forced to turn to B band automatically( remember, it is in A band in the very beginning). And without doubt, this time , the two radios can communicate because they are in the same frequency 470.630.

I found it interesting to achieve this. And I found if I don't set their B band(UHF band)the same, I cannot make this. So I concluded it, the uv82L can force the uv5r to switch to B band if they have the same frequency in B band. And this might be a good thing for some secret chat. For example, I tell one of my friends to set the same frequency in B band with me, and we can communicate with each other without noticing by other friends. Really cool!

I don't know the reason why the radio can do this, maybe because they have the same firmware, whatever.I think this radio is a perfect match with uv5r.