Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFengUV-82L Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFengUV-82L
BaoFengUV-82L Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $55.99
Description: this is the 2013 Newest BaoFeng UV-82L dual band radio. It is a micro-miniature multiband FM transceiver with extensive receive frequency coverage, providing local-area two-way amateur communications along with unmatched monitoring capability.Upgrade the battery capacity.18cm high performance booster antenna, support longer distance and receive signal more stable. The more human-friendly thing is it with two signal indicators, one is for send signal and one for receive signal, it use newest focusing lens design and higher brightness. 3000mAh super capacity battery has longer battery life.
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/

You can write your own review of the BaoFengUV-82L.

N7IBC Rating: 3/5 Oct 4, 2014 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Okay right now  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received one of these UV-82L's to try out. I have previously had Yeasu, Kenwood, Icom and Motorola HT's. All worked fine, and was reluctant to switch to a Baofeng, but the local SAR unit uses the UV5R, so I figured why not.
I bought 2, one UV5R and one BF-F8+,which was a complete mistake. Both failed,one did not program as the firmware was toast, and then the very next day, with a UV5R, it's receiver was dead as a rock.So, a local had the UV-82L. I went ahead and got it from him, and so far, it seems to be "ok".
I work with the local FD and the local SAR group, and need something to get by with since I can't use my VX-6R there. It seems okay, but I will reserve my judgements for later.

KK4JUG Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 19:53 Send this review to a friend
So good I got two  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my first UV-82L about 6 or eight months ago. I was so impressed, I bought a second one a couple of weeks ago. The last one came with a programming cable (Kenwood style) and a mini-CD with programming software. The cable is nice but the software left a lot to be desired. It never would recognize the proper port for the cable. I fell back to the Chirp software and, as usual, it works like a charm. I love the two channel monitoring and the rocker-type transmit switch.

Actually, there's nothing about the radio I don't like.

I work with a state search and rescue organization. I handle communications in the mobile command post. (This is a 40-foot bus with satellite phones and internet, programmable UHF/VHF public safety radios and marine, aircraft and low band FM radios. On the ham side, it has UHF, VHF and HF.) We have a collection of Kenwood handheld radios that are used for communications in and around a venue. I'm considering changing over to the UV-82L radios because of the ease of programming and versatility.

All in all, the radio is an excellent performer at a bargain price.

KK6CXA Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2014 08:24 Send this review to a friend
I like the UV-82 a lot. Good feel and nice audio, but poor batt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the UV-82L for 4 days now. It is a nice radio and has good audio in both the receive and the transmission end. It has a full 5 watts of power over the UV-5r's 4 watt max. The keys have changed a bit, but it's not a big issue for me.
I always install a BNC adapter on the antenna SMA connector to make it easier to swap between antennas. Using an 18 inch dual band antenna dose makes a big difference in performance.
Really the only down side to it is the battery issue.
The 82L's are suppose to be shipped with a 3000ma li-po battery, but this isn't the case.
After reading several reviews on the radio which say the battery is only an 1800ma li-po I decided to contact Baofeng directly.
They confirm through direct e-mails to me that they DO NOT MAKE A 3000ma BATTERY FOR THE UV-82 and that QUOTE, "UV82 and UV82L are actually a same radio. UV-82L is labeled according to our customer's requirement."
This is a little upsetting as I could have bought a new UV-82 for $39.00 but instead I fell for the $49.00 UV-82L to get the 3000ma battery.
I think this is a bit of price gouging on the part of some dishonest re-sellers. I think that if I pay for a 3000ma battery I expect to get one.

On a good note, Baofeng did also say that they are aware of the fact that the 1800ma battery is a bit too small and are currently developing a real 3000ma battery for the UV82.

Still a great little radio for the price.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 06:48 Send this review to a friend
For the price of dinner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
$39.95 delivered. For the price of a nice dinner for two. Worth the price, and a little more. Programming software if free, about what it is worth. But is does work. USB programming cable has the same fake Prolific chip, so you have to fake the USB driver in Windows.
Has a bigger speaker and more audio than the 5. Battery marked 2800mah. But read this is a mismark and it is only 1800mah. The battery did work for two whole days tho. You have to turn on TDR if you want Dual Watch.

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2013 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the uv82L yesterady. After doing some operation, I found something interesting on this radio with my baofeng uv5r.
I think everyone can try to do this like me.
First I set the uv5r 136.330 in A band and 470.630 in B band. And then as for the uv82L, I set its A band 137.000 and B band 470.630,which it is the same B band with the uv5r.

The two radios are using the A band at the same time. Everybody may know the two radios cannot communicate because they are in the difference frequency. But it is at this time that I used the uv82L, push its down PTT key, and then I found the band of the uv5r was forced to turn to B band automatically( remember, it is in A band in the very beginning). And without doubt, this time , the two radios can communicate because they are in the same frequency 470.630.

I found it interesting to achieve this. And I found if I don't set their B band(UHF band)the same, I cannot make this. So I concluded it, the uv82L can force the uv5r to switch to B band if they have the same frequency in B band. And this might be a good thing for some secret chat. For example, I tell one of my friends to set the same frequency in B band with me, and we can communicate with each other without noticing by other friends. Really cool!

I don't know the reason why the radio can do this, maybe because they have the same firmware, whatever.I think this radio is a perfect match with uv5r.

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2013 14:43 Send this review to a friend
The Best Baofeng ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The UV-82 (I actually have a UV-82L) is by far the very best Baofeng radio I have ever used, and I own several different models. It's the first Baofeng that feels like a serious HT, kinda reminding me (ok, a little) of my Yaesu FT-60R. It's a little larger, a little heavier, with larger keys (making it harder to fat-finger, unlike the B6), a more rugged exterior, and feels more professional, IMO. I don't like that you can't switch between Frequency Mode and Channel Mode with the push of a button like the 5RA.

Performance is fantastic, over and above the B5 or B6. From my favorite (146.76 and 147.08) local repeaters people report full quieting from me at 32 miles line-of-site, where the B6 is reported snowy and on the 5RA people say they have a difficult time making out what I'm saying, all using the same 1/4-wave whip. When I use my home-made four-radial ground plane, they all sound the same until I get about 41 miles from the same repeaters, then ditto.

The manual stinks, but on one hand don't all Baofeng manuals stink? and on the other hand, if you've programmed one Baofeng, pretty much you've programmed them all. Also, I own both the UV-82 and the UV-82L, but I can't tell the two apart, except for the stick-on label.

BH1OHK Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2013 02:34 Send this review to a friend
comfortable to hold  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the uv5r for a long time. When i saw this uv82L, I just thought it was time to play another type radio.
The radio is good. It is not so small as the uv5r. And the appearance is cool. Nice 18cm long antenna, convenient PTT key. It is not hard for me to use it.
And i am pleased with this price. Kind of quirky but easy to setup with your favorite repeaters and simplex channels with a programming cable.