Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

K1FT Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2017 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 15 years ago I suddenly had S9+10 noise that I could not locate. After 2 years of fruitless search, I bought and hooked up a used ANC-4 and bingo, almost no noise, and me back on the air having missed a few dx-peditions for countries I needed. A few years later, Cox, one of two ISP's in this area replaced an amplifier one house away, and the noise disappeared, so I sold the ANC-4. Fast forward 10 years and the noise is back. After a week of checking my house, I bought another ANC-4, and the S9+10 hash is down in the

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Works here!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I borrowed a Timewave ANC-4 to get rid of some persistent low band noise from the neighborhood (S9+), and I will say that IT WORKS! I worked a record (for me) number of stations in the WPX contest because I could now hear them on 40 and 80 meters. The noise antenna is a Hygain 14AVQ vertical mounted on a fencepost, nearest the local power lines. 100 feet of RG-58 into the shack (to lose some signal), and no radials used.
I recently purchased a used MFJ-1026, and while it also seems to do its job, it requires a better (higher gain) noise antenna to be effective, and is more "fiddly".
I had to give the Timewave unit back so I also purchased an older JPS ANC-4 (pre-Timewave), and the MFJ units. I'll say for now that the ANC-4 unit has my vote. Easier to use, and can make better use of a lower gain noise antenna. Maybe more later when I do a review of the MFJ noise unit.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2017 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Noise Killer when installed correctly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At this QTH, I often have S9+ power line noise. I had to do something, so finally decided to try a noise canceller. Wasn't expecting much, but WOW! On 80m, I'm able to go from S9+ of nasty buzzing power line noise to S1 of sweet HF static. The secret is the noise antenna. The 6 foot wire included is not long enough and the 12 foot dipole they suggested didn't work either. I used 24 feet some horizontal and some vertical. The noise from the noise antenna and noise gain control must be the same as the noise level from the antenna. You can check by disconnecting the main antenna and adjusting the noise gain. Making the noise antenna longer to increase the noise gain enabled me to get the deep null. If you don't get a null, the noise antenna is too short. Truly amazing when you set it up and adjust it correctly.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2017 11:49 Send this review to a friend
A life saver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I moved to a new QTH in the middle of the city with an awful level of noise. 80m and 40m being the worst bands. Just got my hands on a used ANC-4. It work fantastic a my location. I am able to null out most of the electrical noise and plasma tv's around. My best "noise" antenna so far is actually the common electrical ground of the house. The unit is actually a little tricky to tune but that's minor compared to the relief.
Solidly built, it's probably the most useful accessory in the shack.

AA0MV Rating: 3/5 Apr 3, 2017 09:30 Send this review to a friend
It's possible to make the ANC-4 noise cancellor work.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a great deal of electrical noise in my neighbor. I purchased the ANC4 with the hope that
I could cancel out the noise as advertised. I used an outdoor wire antenna that is parallel to my main antenna. The two antennas are separated by several feet. I had No success using this arrangement for 40 thru 80 meters. It worked OK on 20 meters.

I experimented and found that a vertical amplified loop antenna proved to be a great sense antenna for the ANC4.

The ANC4 now has enough noise available for the front panel controls to actually cancel or greatly reduce the noise.

An amplified loop was the key to make the ANC4
a valuable accessory for my shack.

I have not tried transmitting with anything more
than 100 watts

The ANC-4 appears to be of good quality. From my experience an external amplified antenna brings the ANC-4 to life.

Steve
AA0MV

PA0RCL Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2016 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Gave me back my radio fun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having moved to an appartment building I found out that there was a lot of QRM coming from various sources in and around the building. The 20m band proved the worst of all with a 5kHz wide S9+ "hiss" every 70 kHz. As 20m is my favourite band I was desperate; should I give up ham radio alltogether?
Fortunately I found the ANC-4. With the aid of a 7 meters long noise antenna I can now null out most of the local QRM.
I'm a happy ham again!

BTW the build quality of the ANC-4 is exemplary: built like a tank. MFJ could take lessons from Timewave.....

K7TAA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the ANC-4 with an outside amplified receiving loop as the noise antenna, in an urban location with overhead electrical power wires. There is a very strong broadband noise signal completely covering 75 meters at this location, 24 hrs/day. It measures S9+10 dB with the Elecraft KX3 and halfwave dipole connected, making 75 meter SSB unusable without the ANC-4. With the ANC-4 connected to an SDR receiver, the noise reduction is quite dramatic visually. On a net at 3.975, the Net Control station was S9+10 on peaks on the QS1R, only 5 dB above the noise, and not audible. With the phasing control of the ANC-4, the noise level was reduced to S6-S7, while the NC station was still peaking S9+10 dB. On the QS1R the broadband noise level dropped from -69 dBm to -87 dBm. That meant plenty of SNR to hear Net Control and numerous other stations as weak as S8. For this location, and this noise, 75 meters went from completely unusable to a noise level that is not bad for an urban environment.

K5APL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using my ANC-4 for about 6 months. My neighbor has a TV (plasma) that tears up the 20M band with my vertical antenna. Many signals go under the noise when she watches TV. I installed the ANC-4 and tried several Noise Antennae. A short dipole, oriented for vertical polarization mounted at eye level outside my shack turned out to be the best configuration. It eliminates the TV
noise so I can have QSOs with weak signals. Without it, I would be dead in the water. It does attenuate the signal, sometimes more than others, but the good news I can actually make a contact. Thats the bottom line for me. I do have to tune the null in different parts of the band for greatest attenuation, but the null is quite broad. My
unit also works on rain static and lighting crashes. It is not plug and play for best noise reduction, but a little trial and error will give wonderful results (Noise Antenna type, configuration, and tuning the controls). I recommend it.

K4KD Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Best noise limiter I have ever used  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my ANC-4 for about 8 months. I have a S9 noise when I point my 6 meter beam to the north. The power company has tried to locate the noise but to no avail.
The Anc-4 takes the noise out completely. I only use the wire antenna that came with the unit. I have it in the shack. The receive signal drops too when the unit is on but I am still able to copy 100%.
Any ham should be able to tune noise gain and noise phase controls. Once tuned I have never had to re-tune.
One of the best purchases I have made in my 48 years as a ham.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 14:08 Send this review to a friend
This thing WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered my ANC-4 and attached a Sony "spool" SWL antenna as the receiving antenna. After moving the receiving antenna around, extending it, etc (in my room) I was able to turn a S-9+12 noise on 40 meter down to an S-7/8!

I'm still attempting to get AT&T to investigate the phone line buried in my back yard, close to my vertical/grounding system.

Yes, you have to twiddle knobs but if you will RTFM and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS then it'll work to help eliminate noise that's interference. A+, I'm very happy to be able to talk with my friends now on 40M.