Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

WD9GNG Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2018 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Product for Reducing Noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my Timewave ANC-4 for about a month now. I have been very impressed with how well it reduces noise using different antennas. Initially I used it with my Carolina Windom with the short provided wire. It worked OK against electrical noise in the house but didn't help that much with the power line noise. I put in a decent 12 ft noise dipole antenna at about 3 ft above the ground directly beneath the power lines and that made all the difference in the world. Major reduction in noise!

Next I bought a W6LVP Magnetic Loop antenna and put it up at 20 ft and it alone has done an incredible job nulling noise with a tight null of only a few degrees. Interesting that the noise null direction is different at different frequencies.

Those times that I want to pick up different hams, BCB stations, and beacons on the same frequency I will point the loop directly toward the station I want to hear and then allow the Timewave ANC-4 get rid of the noise that creeps in when I am not at a noise null with the loop.

The combination of the Timewave ANC-4 and the W6LVP Magnetic Loop antenna has eliminated all my electrical noise I was experiencing. It reminds me of SWLing back in the 50's and 60's before I became a Ham when there was relatively little electrical noise in the environment.

The key to good performance with the ANC-4 is the noise antenna being installed in an area and fashion to pick up maximum noise and as little of the signal you want to pull out of the noise.

The nice thing with the ANC-4 is that it automatically switches off to protect itself when you transmit with a 100 watt rig without any special connection needed to flip it off.

The W6LVP Magnetic Loop has a connection point to switch it off from a keying relay point on your rig with an interface cable.

I recommend you go to YouTube to listen to demonstrations of how well the Timewave ANC-4 virtually eliminates all electrical noise with an appropriate noise antenna.

The ANC-4 can also be used as an active antenna or diversity combiner! Pretty cool what all it can do for you in your shack! I had considered the MFJ version but was concerned about its quality based on reviews of MFJ products. I liked the technical specs on the DX Engineering version but is much much more expensive although has great capabilities based upon its reviews.

All in all, the Timewave ANC-4 is a great product and does exactly what I wanted and needed it to do when I purchased it!
N8OPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2017 11:58 Send this review to a friend
OH. MY. GOSH.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been struggling with noise since I put up a Hustler 4BTV in the back yard and got back on the HF bands with an Icom 7410. My issues are now resolved.

I guess flabbergasted would be the right word- this thing works so incredibly well. I have a 40 meter NVIS antenna low to the ground along the side of the house, and I plugged the stock short black wire antenna that comes with the unit into the noise antenna socket. Then I took the end of that antenna and stripped the wire a bit, dabbled some copper grease on it, and put a short piece of shrink-wrap over the center conductor of the PL259 that goes to the 40 meter dipole. I slid the greased noise antenna wire into the space between the shrink-wrap and the center pin and blew on it with my heat gun. It shrunk down and held the exposed end of the wire antenna tightly to the center conductor. I folded a few inches of the noise antenna back over the coax and zip-tied it together.

I figured that this would give me the best of both worlds- I would have an antenna wire in the shack, and I would have the dipole working outside for noise there.

The net result is hard to believe- 3.5 S-units reduction in noise instantly. I haven't tried other bands but on 40 meters where I am most of the time this thing is just a dream. I can't recommend it enough. Also, the tiny little thing is HEAVY. It is so refreshing to see over-engineered equipment of obvious quality in our throwaway world.

Timewave you have completely transformed my enjoyment of ham radio. Frankly this thing is just too cheap. When MFJ units cost $170-$200 this unit would be a steal at $299. I paid $189 at HRO for a brand new ANC-4.
K1FT Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2017 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 15 years ago I suddenly had S9+10 noise that I could not locate. After 2 years of fruitless search, I bought and hooked up a used ANC-4 and bingo, almost no noise, and me back on the air having missed a few dx-peditions for countries I needed. A few years later, Cox, one of two ISP's in this area replaced an amplifier one house away, and the noise disappeared, so I sold the ANC-4. Fast forward 10 years and the noise is back. After a week of checking my house, I bought another ANC-4, and the S9+10 hash is down in the
W7VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Works here!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I borrowed a Timewave ANC-4 to get rid of some persistent low band noise from the neighborhood (S9+), and I will say that IT WORKS! I worked a record (for me) number of stations in the WPX contest because I could now hear them on 40 and 80 meters. The noise antenna is a Hygain 14AVQ vertical mounted on a fencepost, nearest the local power lines. 100 feet of RG-58 into the shack (to lose some signal), and no radials used.
I recently purchased a used MFJ-1026, and while it also seems to do its job, it requires a better (higher gain) noise antenna to be effective, and is more "fiddly".
I had to give the Timewave unit back so I also purchased an older JPS ANC-4 (pre-Timewave), and the MFJ units. I'll say for now that the ANC-4 unit has my vote. Easier to use, and can make better use of a lower gain noise antenna. Maybe more later when I do a review of the MFJ noise unit.
KV4AN Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2017 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Noise Killer when installed correctly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At this QTH, I often have S9+ power line noise. I had to do something, so finally decided to try a noise canceller. Wasn't expecting much, but WOW! On 80m, I'm able to go from S9+ of nasty buzzing power line noise to S1 of sweet HF static. The secret is the noise antenna. The 6 foot wire included is not long enough and the 12 foot dipole they suggested didn't work either. I used 24 feet some horizontal and some vertical. The noise from the noise antenna and noise gain control must be the same as the noise level from the antenna. You can check by disconnecting the main antenna and adjusting the noise gain. Making the noise antenna longer to increase the noise gain enabled me to get the deep null. If you don't get a null, the noise antenna is too short. Truly amazing when you set it up and adjust it correctly.
VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2017 11:49 Send this review to a friend
A life saver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I moved to a new QTH in the middle of the city with an awful level of noise. 80m and 40m being the worst bands. Just got my hands on a used ANC-4. It work fantastic a my location. I am able to null out most of the electrical noise and plasma tv's around. My best "noise" antenna so far is actually the common electrical ground of the house. The unit is actually a little tricky to tune but that's minor compared to the relief.
Solidly built, it's probably the most useful accessory in the shack.
AA0MV Rating: 3/5 Apr 3, 2017 09:30 Send this review to a friend
It's possible to make the ANC-4 noise cancellor work.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a great deal of electrical noise in my neighbor. I purchased the ANC4 with the hope that
I could cancel out the noise as advertised. I used an outdoor wire antenna that is parallel to my main antenna. The two antennas are separated by several feet. I had No success using this arrangement for 40 thru 80 meters. It worked OK on 20 meters.

I experimented and found that a vertical amplified loop antenna proved to be a great sense antenna for the ANC4.

The ANC4 now has enough noise available for the front panel controls to actually cancel or greatly reduce the noise.

An amplified loop was the key to make the ANC4
a valuable accessory for my shack.

I have not tried transmitting with anything more
than 100 watts

The ANC-4 appears to be of good quality. From my experience an external amplified antenna brings the ANC-4 to life.

PA0RCL Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2016 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Gave me back my radio fun  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having moved to an appartment building I found out that there was a lot of QRM coming from various sources in and around the building. The 20m band proved the worst of all with a 5kHz wide S9+ "hiss" every 70 kHz. As 20m is my favourite band I was desperate; should I give up ham radio alltogether?
Fortunately I found the ANC-4. With the aid of a 7 meters long noise antenna I can now null out most of the local QRM.
I'm a happy ham again!

BTW the build quality of the ANC-4 is exemplary: built like a tank. MFJ could take lessons from Timewave.....
K7TAA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the ANC-4 with an outside amplified receiving loop as the noise antenna, in an urban location with overhead electrical power wires. There is a very strong broadband noise signal completely covering 75 meters at this location, 24 hrs/day. It measures S9+10 dB with the Elecraft KX3 and halfwave dipole connected, making 75 meter SSB unusable without the ANC-4. With the ANC-4 connected to an SDR receiver, the noise reduction is quite dramatic visually. On a net at 3.975, the Net Control station was S9+10 on peaks on the QS1R, only 5 dB above the noise, and not audible. With the phasing control of the ANC-4, the noise level was reduced to S6-S7, while the NC station was still peaking S9+10 dB. On the QS1R the broadband noise level dropped from -69 dBm to -87 dBm. That meant plenty of SNR to hear Net Control and numerous other stations as weak as S8. For this location, and this noise, 75 meters went from completely unusable to a noise level that is not bad for an urban environment.
K5APL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using my ANC-4 for about 6 months. My neighbor has a TV (plasma) that tears up the 20M band with my vertical antenna. Many signals go under the noise when she watches TV. I installed the ANC-4 and tried several Noise Antennae. A short dipole, oriented for vertical polarization mounted at eye level outside my shack turned out to be the best configuration. It eliminates the TV
noise so I can have QSOs with weak signals. Without it, I would be dead in the water. It does attenuate the signal, sometimes more than others, but the good news I can actually make a contact. Thats the bottom line for me. I do have to tune the null in different parts of the band for greatest attenuation, but the null is quite broad. My
unit also works on rain static and lighting crashes. It is not plug and play for best noise reduction, but a little trial and error will give wonderful results (Noise Antenna type, configuration, and tuning the controls). I recommend it.