Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

KD5VC Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2011 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Helps in Some Cases  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the ANC-4 used a couple of years ago. Mine came with a vertical whip. I have used it with the whip as an active antenna. You can set it up without the main antenna and experiment with wires and verticals to increase the noise level. Then using gain and phasing you can improve the S/N ratio. If you can't hear the noise with the main antenna disconnected, then you need to do some antenna work to get any performance.

K3DOS Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Indispensable Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
My QTH is a 1/8 acre suburban property. There are close in neighbors on all sides and they are all electrically noisy. I'm also within 200 meters of the Amtrak electric line between Washington and Boston but thanks to the ANC-4, none of that prevents me from copying weak signals.

The ANC-4 does require careful tuning however. You can't just take it out of the box, turn it on and expect the noise to go away. A proper noise capture antenna is a must too. Outside, end fed with coax, close to the noise sources works best for me. There's a learning curve associated with its use too, but once the unit is set up right and you gain experience tuning it, the ANC-4 is indispensable in high noise areas.

A note on tuning. The noise gain adjustment is critical. Start with minimum gain and increase slowly while adjusting the phase controls until you find the best null. With experience you'll be able to eliminate the offending noise completely.

KM6CZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2011 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Not the best solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
The unit does work if the noise is captured by the receive antenna is close the same level of noise seen on the main antenna. I mounted a vertical element (1/2 element of TA-33 driven element) above the TA-33 and am able to tune out a lot of noise. There is a 1-2S penalty insertion loss though. I don't believe the range on this unit is sufficient. A much better implementation is offered by DX-Engineering (at a much higher price, of course). The internal antenna is useless unless it is right next to a noise source (e.g., PC). Its not junk, but could use significant improvement in phase range.

G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2010 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had the ANC-4 for some months now and have at last got the pick-up antenna the right size and in a convenient place. I have a nasty noise/buzz on 20 m at about S8/9 that moves around a bit day to day but is stable minute to minute. 20 m noise here is usually about S3 without it and bearable but set the ANC-4 up correctly and it just disappears. Occasionally I switch the ANC-4 off to see if the noise is still there and it often is. I can well recommend this bit of kit.

KW6G Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but still learning how to use it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Christmas present this year. Have been plagued by what I believe is Plasma TV noise for over 2 years now. Needed to do something, so I opted for the Timewave ANC-4. I get 15-20 db max of noise reduction with the supplied wire noise antenna (as measured on my 756proII scope). It definitely performs as advertised. It will reduce the noise, but not eliminate it altogether. Still learning how to tweak the thing, though.

Manual is good with clear instructions. It would be cleaner, however, if it had a whip antenna. Pulled the cover and noted that the PC board has a pad for one, so if you wanted, you could solder a nut onto the board and get a whip from Radio Shack, drill a hole in the top and away you go.

I constructed a short dipole per the manual to see if I could get a more significant null. It did not work as well; not sure why. When I plugged in the dipole to the RCA jack a noticeable lack of gain happened when the plug was fully inserted, engaging the shield portion of the RG-58 Coax. Not sure what is happening with that! Checked the antenna with a ohm meter - no shorts, so I am still puzzled. Next step is to take the dipole outside and try again. I will update this review after that gets done.

K9OZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2010 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Works in my situation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been battling very bad line noise, and made the jump to buying a noise reduction device from Timewave, the model ANC-4. It uses a second antenna, picks up the noise, moves it 180 degrees out of phase, and removes the noise before it hits your radio.
It sounded too good to be true, but it does work.
It's not simple, and not 100 percent. After reading reviews, I saw a lot of positive, but also saw people who said it did nothing and they returned it.
For the first couple days I was in the did nothing category, but I kept experimenting with different receive antennas, until I found a combination that worked. If you aren't picking up the noise on the second antenna, you can't use it to phase out the other noise. So that's the key.
Now I'm using the dipole as my main antenna, and the vertical as the noise antenna. I have it set up so I can switch antennas quickly, using the vertical as main and dipole as receive.
Meanwhile, my noise has gotten worse, so this is the only thing keeping me on the air right now. A video is on my blog, at k9oz.blogspot.com, showing how it works.
I'm a cw operator, and I've been unable to detect any key clicks and have asked several people to listen for them, with no reports.

N4GG Rating: 1/5 Nov 19, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Not up to par  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No, no, no. As K9YC indicated these will add key clicks and have modest (at best) dynamic range. Do you really want a low dynamic range box in series with that nice new K3 or even FT-1000MP that can do 145 dB BDR? Worst problem is the phase shift control should only control phase shift, and over 180 degrees. In this very weak design the phase control only covers about 150 degrees, so with the two switch positions you can cover 300 degrees out of 360 degrees. hat's why you will often need to move the noise antenna - which should not be necessary - to get the phase angle you need because the ANC-4 can't. Next problem is the phase control severely changes gain at the same time. This is why it can take minutes instead of seconds to find a null - if you find one at all. Its a sloppy deign and performs as such. Buy the MFJ - much better for similar $$. Or break your piggy bank and buy the best - the DXE.

WB4BYQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 16:56 Send this review to a friend
All stations need one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Install a 40 foot dipole up the tower about 25 feet ran rg-58u coax into the shack connected the main antenna either a yagi or dipole, and adjusted the controls and the buzz, tones, will disapear. plan to purchase a second one. i also us the SGC ADSP2 DSP speaker and the station sounds great. I can live with the slight reduction in signal strength, most of the time the
difference is not even noticed. Get one.

WB4BYQ

KM3F Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2010 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Another use for the ANC-4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used one to see if it would be of benifit with powerline noise.

I work 2m SSB with a transverter, so wondered if this unit would be effective on the IF output of the transverter at 28.200 taking in the noise source for procesing at that freqency while the interference comes through at 144..
It works at this point in the circuit, as well.
Don't forget to read the manuel for the options of BC notching etc.
Also it has an RF sensing circuit to tranfer the transmitt path 'pass through'. The circuit holding time is adjustable as well so pay attention to this per the mode you are using.
It will make a difference in some applications.
The loss on recieve of signal strength is notable but not a big issue most of the time.
The coupling where interference cancellation is done is in a toriod, so has some loss.
It cannot lower the noise floor you would normally hear if the interference were not present.
Overall I would reccomend this unit for those who have a large enough issue with local noise.
Understanding what it does and how is key to your conclusion about the unit..

WB9KPT Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great - now I can hear more signals!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all the reviews, and other articles online, before I purchased the ANC-4 via an eBay auction. My problem is that I live adjacent to one of the regional rail lines in the Philadelphia suburbs. I can see the electrical lines behind my house when I look out the window. I have a high noise level all the time (S9 or greater on many of the HF bands). So I took the plunge to see if this would help my receive situation.

I use an ICOM AH-4 antenna tuner on a 100 foot long wire with my ICOM IC-7000. I mostly operate digital modes, with some SSB during contests.

I was completely surprised when I was able to notch out a substantial amount of noise with an indoor 4 foot long piece of wire as the noise antenna... on several bands (20, 30 and 40 meters). In some cases it made the difference between being able to decode a PSK31 signal without errors, compared to not getting any copy at all. I have worked many weak stations, and increased my country count since getting the device.

All the other reviewers are correct, you must be patient and try all the controls in various positions to find the best notch.

When the weather improves, I will be putting up an external noise antenna - and hope to do even better.