Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

KK9D Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Finally something that works on my Noise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been living with terrible noise mostly on 80 meters but sometimes on 40 as well. Tried many things (will not go into detail but I did try the MFJ 1026 as well). The ANC-4 works, it is the first time I was able to really enjoy the 80 meter CW traffic nets I check into for months. Follow the manual and then just play around with it as you will and it has the ability to create very sharp nulls, I am impressed. Plus it is well built and an attractive little unit on the desk. Cheers!

WB1CQW Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 11:51 Send this review to a friend
VERY EFFECTIVE  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I introduced the Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer into my station, I wasn't at first impressed with the performance. In rereading the instructions, however, I soon realized that the problem wasn't with the device itself, but that I was simply going to have to run some coax and feed it with much better noise-sampling antenna. My big broadcast band FM antenna in the attic proved to be the perfect "noise antenna." With this improved setup now I am able to knock down QRN noise by typically 2-5 S-units. Of course this won't make bad propagation good, but combined with a set of headphones and a GAP Hear-It DSP speaker, I believe I've reached the limit in pulling out marginal signals in less than perfect conditions.

KD7CJO Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
good unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this to fix some very bad noise problems here at my apt. QTH. Works very well, but dose take some time to learn what setting to use for what bands. My QRM is close and loud so the supplied noise ant. worked fine for me. Took most of the noise down on most hf bands + mf and lf bands as well.

These devices ARE NOT cure alls, but they do work if used correctly and by folks that READ AND FALLOW the instructions!(had an s-8 level, now down to about s-4) Good unit over all and well built. If you have high noise levels, try one. It is now a very important part of this station. 73 and vry good dx, kd7cjo in dn51

W2JEM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
It's all about the antenna...period.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device has saved me much heartache and headache, but not without some experimentation and a somewhat-frustrating trial-and-error learning process.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV two floors up and I can always tell when my wife has gone to bed and turned on the TV because any sense of clarity and coherency that emanated from my IC-7700 gets completely squashed in a most horrible, deafening pool of the worst QRM you have ever heard!

I purchased the ANC-4 mostly out of desperation, because I did not want to either replace the TV or disallow my wife her quality time (not that I would even have a chance of succeeding at that!). I'm so glad that I did it, because I have this thing working well on all bands now for all sorts of noise sources, some of which I didn't even realize were local. Now I'm very happy:)

I cannot stress enough, however, that the device itself is only half the solution - without the complimentary, unique-design noise antenna that I "conjured" up, you wouldn't be reading this. I tried different lengths of wire routed many different ways until I finally settled on a 15' piece of AWG 16 stranded strung across the ceiling. It seems to work well on all bands, so far. You will have to perform the same steps, using experimental configurations until you hit upon it. But that's what it's all about anyway, right?

The other little caveat is that I had to arrange the switch settings contrary to the recommendations presented in the ANC-4 manual.

If you have the patience and desire, this will be worth a try for you to rid yourself of noise.

Good luck and enjoy your new-found peace and quiet!

Jim

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Awesome! The key is the noise antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great product that works as advertised. If you struggle with it, my guess is your noise antenna is not correct for your situation. Check the manual and try different noise antenna configurations as suggested.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I can now take S9+ noise to nearly zero. Amazing product!

73, Brent

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Did not think it worked well untill I expermented with the noise antenna.Getting this right is a must. I have a plasma tv that just destroys 160m. With the timewave it fixes the problem..There is a definate sweet spot. Its a lot like adjusting a manual antenna tunner on a finicky antenna.This Product has solved my noise issues. Do not think this is plug and play you will have to experment to get it right..great product

KD5VC Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2011 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Helps in Some Cases  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the ANC-4 used a couple of years ago. Mine came with a vertical whip. I have used it with the whip as an active antenna. You can set it up without the main antenna and experiment with wires and verticals to increase the noise level. Then using gain and phasing you can improve the S/N ratio. If you can't hear the noise with the main antenna disconnected, then you need to do some antenna work to get any performance.

K3DOS Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Indispensable Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
My QTH is a 1/8 acre suburban property. There are close in neighbors on all sides and they are all electrically noisy. I'm also within 200 meters of the Amtrak electric line between Washington and Boston but thanks to the ANC-4, none of that prevents me from copying weak signals.

The ANC-4 does require careful tuning however. You can't just take it out of the box, turn it on and expect the noise to go away. A proper noise capture antenna is a must too. Outside, end fed with coax, close to the noise sources works best for me. There's a learning curve associated with its use too, but once the unit is set up right and you gain experience tuning it, the ANC-4 is indispensable in high noise areas.

A note on tuning. The noise gain adjustment is critical. Start with minimum gain and increase slowly while adjusting the phase controls until you find the best null. With experience you'll be able to eliminate the offending noise completely.

KM6CZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2011 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Not the best solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
The unit does work if the noise is captured by the receive antenna is close the same level of noise seen on the main antenna. I mounted a vertical element (1/2 element of TA-33 driven element) above the TA-33 and am able to tune out a lot of noise. There is a 1-2S penalty insertion loss though. I don't believe the range on this unit is sufficient. A much better implementation is offered by DX-Engineering (at a much higher price, of course). The internal antenna is useless unless it is right next to a noise source (e.g., PC). Its not junk, but could use significant improvement in phase range.

G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2010 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had the ANC-4 for some months now and have at last got the pick-up antenna the right size and in a convenient place. I have a nasty noise/buzz on 20 m at about S8/9 that moves around a bit day to day but is stable minute to minute. 20 m noise here is usually about S3 without it and bearable but set the ANC-4 up correctly and it just disappears. Occasionally I switch the ANC-4 off to see if the noise is still there and it often is. I can well recommend this bit of kit.