Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 06:43 Send this review to a friend
It simply works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It simply works! I've been plagued by S9+ noise for the last two weeks from what I believe is a neighbors plasma television set. 160, 80 and 40 were a total loss, and 20 usable but very noisy.

My "noise" antenna is an end-fed wire, 66' long, fed through a 9:1 balun and RG212 coax. It runs parallel to my low band sloper about 2' below. It hears EXACTLY the same noise the sloper hears and this is key. If your sensing antenna doesn't hear the same noise as your main antenna, it won't work.

I am able to reduce an S9+10 buzz down to about S3 or so. I am hearing stations you couldn't even tell were there. I don't get the same null on 20 as my beam does not hear the noise the same as the sloper, but the unit is still effective.

Be patient with the tuning, if I tune the NOISE PHASE control too fast, I'll tune right through the null. Alternately adjusting the NOISE PHASE and NOISE GAIN I am able to achieve a deep null.

In my setup I have the ANC-4 connected in the external RX antenna line, so no RF passes through the unit itself. I simply push the RX ANT button on the FT990 and the ANC-4 is on line. I did install a small DPDT relay inside the unit, that is switched when I key the radio. This relay performs two functions. One set of contacts open the NOISE antenna input, isolating it from the unit. The second set of contacts shorts the NOISE input pad on the ANC-4 board to ground. This prevents any RF during TX to get into the ANC-4 and possibly damage components with RF overload. I was concerned about this due to the proximity of the NOISE antenna and the sloper. I sometimes run my FL2100B on the low bands.

This little unit has saved my HF operating. If you decide to try one, remember to be patient and work with a suitable sensing antenna. It will make or break your success.

KI4VH Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Can be a life saver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the original JPS ANC-4 version many years ago. This little unit will do the the job. It takes time to adjust and requires a good "listening" antenna. It is very important to follow instructions. It greatly reduces electronic noise originating from inside my home to even local power line interference. The unit will not reduce general atmospheric noise. I never have regretted purchasing this little gem.

WP3HW Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back many years ago I gave it a 5 review but somewhere along the line it didn't seem to do the job so I replaced it with a BHI in line module which I put away rather quickly because in my QTH it simply didn't help much at all.

After n number of years in storage I took the dust off my Timewave ANC-4 and noticed that it was doing a rather nice job of reducing QRM. Tonight on 40 M SSB I couldn't read the signals buried under the noise. Decided to turn on the unit, fiddle with the settings and to my surprise voices just popped up and became fully legible. NR on my radio just didn't cut it. Was pleasantly surprised and was able to establish a number of contacts. Worked admirably well after bringing it out after many years of storage. Evidently it aged excellently well. Had similar experience with some wines...

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 08:07 Send this review to a friend
The ANC-4 vs. “Godzilla”  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a detailed and cautionary tale about the ANC-4 and what it can and cannot do.

I suffer from a severe and possibly unique power line noise problem at my QTH. I have a Mosley HF Yagi at 45 feet atop a lattice tower which is located near a portion of the neighborhood electrical power utility distribution system. The power system is constructed overhead on wooden poles, with its metallic conductors at nearly the same height as the Yagi, and the distribution hardware is almost 60 years old. As part of the power system, a pair of 12 kV, single phase, energized conductors passes along an adjacent street at antenna height and within about 30 feet of the Yagi.

This configuration was noise-free for many years. Several years ago I began receiving random RF noise from the power lines that greatly increased the ambient RF noise level. It wasn’t difficult to characterize the source of the noise as an electrical arc located somewhere in the overhead 12 kV distribution system. The transfer of the RF noise from the arc into the receiver is definitely by radiation; the receivers (and ANC-4) are powered from station batteries and there is no (line) conducted noise in evidence when the antennas are removed.

The recovered audio noise characteristics (with AM mode receiver detection) are: very heavy buzzing at 60 Hz and its harmonics, which is overlaid with a bacon-sizzling type of noise. In the RF, the noise spectrum peaks at 18 MHz, drops off but is still problematic at 14 and 21 MHz, and is generally not observed on the other bands. At its maximum, the ambient RF noise level reaches S9 + 20 dB, at which level on-air operation is impossible.

The occurrence of the arcing follows a characteristic weather profile: the arcing begins when the local weather’s relative humidity drops below 50% and then reaches a maximum whenever the RH falls to as low as 10%. The arc is quenched when the RH begins to rise above 50% and is absent during ground fog and rain. Typically on dry days the arc begins a few hours after sunrise, as the local RH drops in the warmer air, and ends a few hours after sunset. It may not occur at all on moist days.

The local power company has been highly cooperative in trying to locate and remove the source of the arc. Their staff RFI troubleshooter and line crews have made four consecutive attempts to do so, but so far they have been unsuccessful. It now appears that there may be multiple arc sources on various poles, with the RF coupled through the HV conductors and radiating omnidirectionally throughout the neighborhood. There is no “single source” arc that can be located by conventional methods.

At a friend’s suggestion I bought an ANC-4 and spent much time experimenting with it, with only limited success. I constructed and used the recommended outdoor noise antenna. I tried the ANC-4 with other HF receiving antennas which are more distant from the power lines. I tried the suggested “tricks” contained in the manual, including using AM broadcast band overload suppression. Nothing solved the problem.

Finally, using a spectrum analyzer I determined the exact nature of the local operating conditions. The external noise antenna could not deliver to the ANC-4 noise input port the same high level of arc-produced RF noise that the resonant Yagi delivered to the antenna input port. Because of its proximity to the power lines the Yagi is being swamped by the arc noise signal. No simple external noise antenna would be able to match the noise level that the Yagi is receiving. And without equal noise amplitudes in both ANC-4 channels, there is no phase cancellation of the noise to be had.

I have successfully used the ANC-4 for ambient noise reduction during those times when the arc is not present, and it does work well when the unwanted noise signals are not local and dominating. I have obtained reductions of ambient (non-arcing) noise on 40 and 80 meters ranging from three to six S-units. To obtain this, both phase and amplitude tuning via the front panel controls must be precise. The tuning method, while watching the S-meter, is analogous to “dipping” the plate current in a vacuum tube Class C transmitter. Very small and precise adjustments are necessary to yield the maximum results.

Before buying an ANC-4, one should examine the local noise situation and see whether it is possible to meet the “equal noise signal levels in both channels” requirement. If it can be done, then the ANC-4 and some practiced tuning should produce the desired results.

Clearly the ANC-4 cannot solve my problem, with local noise signals exceeding the range that it can process. A solution may finally occur in a few years, when replacement underground utility distribution systems are scheduled to be built in my area. Until then, I will suffer “radio silence” for much of the time.

The ANC-4 is well constructed from quality parts, and the instruction manual is extensive, well written, and very usable. It could be improved a bit by some reorganization of the material. I do not at all regret purchasing this product despite its not having fully solved my noise problem.

W7THM Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Works as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before the ANC-4, noise at S-9; WITH the ANC-4, noise at S-4. That's just with the inside noise antenna. It cancelled out noise emitted by nearby halogen desk lamp with dimmer and fluorescent lighting. At certain times of the day there are atmospheric noises that push up the QRM, but I plan to install an outside noise antenna recommended by Timewave, which I hope will deal with those. I hear net participants and pick up signals I previously could not hear. I installed the unit first in line from the antenna followed by the tuner, SWR/PWR meter and my TS-870. The ANC-4 is worth the $189.00.

KK9D Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 23:59 Send this review to a friend
Finally something that works on my Noise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been living with terrible noise mostly on 80 meters but sometimes on 40 as well. Tried many things (will not go into detail but I did try the MFJ 1026 as well). The ANC-4 works, it is the first time I was able to really enjoy the 80 meter CW traffic nets I check into for months. Follow the manual and then just play around with it as you will and it has the ability to create very sharp nulls, I am impressed. Plus it is well built and an attractive little unit on the desk. Cheers!

WB1CQW Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 11:51 Send this review to a friend
VERY EFFECTIVE  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I introduced the Timewave ANC-4 noise reducer into my station, I wasn't at first impressed with the performance. In rereading the instructions, however, I soon realized that the problem wasn't with the device itself, but that I was simply going to have to run some coax and feed it with much better noise-sampling antenna. My big broadcast band FM antenna in the attic proved to be the perfect "noise antenna." With this improved setup now I am able to knock down QRN noise by typically 2-5 S-units. Of course this won't make bad propagation good, but combined with a set of headphones and a GAP Hear-It DSP speaker, I believe I've reached the limit in pulling out marginal signals in less than perfect conditions.

KD7CJO Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
good unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this to fix some very bad noise problems here at my apt. QTH. Works very well, but dose take some time to learn what setting to use for what bands. My QRM is close and loud so the supplied noise ant. worked fine for me. Took most of the noise down on most hf bands + mf and lf bands as well.

These devices ARE NOT cure alls, but they do work if used correctly and by folks that READ AND FALLOW the instructions!(had an s-8 level, now down to about s-4) Good unit over all and well built. If you have high noise levels, try one. It is now a very important part of this station. 73 and vry good dx, kd7cjo in dn51

W2JEM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
It's all about the antenna...period.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device has saved me much heartache and headache, but not without some experimentation and a somewhat-frustrating trial-and-error learning process.

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV two floors up and I can always tell when my wife has gone to bed and turned on the TV because any sense of clarity and coherency that emanated from my IC-7700 gets completely squashed in a most horrible, deafening pool of the worst QRM you have ever heard!

I purchased the ANC-4 mostly out of desperation, because I did not want to either replace the TV or disallow my wife her quality time (not that I would even have a chance of succeeding at that!). I'm so glad that I did it, because I have this thing working well on all bands now for all sorts of noise sources, some of which I didn't even realize were local. Now I'm very happy:)

I cannot stress enough, however, that the device itself is only half the solution - without the complimentary, unique-design noise antenna that I "conjured" up, you wouldn't be reading this. I tried different lengths of wire routed many different ways until I finally settled on a 15' piece of AWG 16 stranded strung across the ceiling. It seems to work well on all bands, so far. You will have to perform the same steps, using experimental configurations until you hit upon it. But that's what it's all about anyway, right?

The other little caveat is that I had to arrange the switch settings contrary to the recommendations presented in the ANC-4 manual.

If you have the patience and desire, this will be worth a try for you to rid yourself of noise.

Good luck and enjoy your new-found peace and quiet!

Jim

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Awesome! The key is the noise antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great product that works as advertised. If you struggle with it, my guess is your noise antenna is not correct for your situation. Check the manual and try different noise antenna configurations as suggested.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I can now take S9+ noise to nearly zero. Amazing product!

73, Brent