Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | Timewave ANC-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave ANC-4
Timewave ANC-4 Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Antenna Noise Canceller
More info: http://www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the Timewave ANC-4.

WB9KPT Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great - now I can hear more signals!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all the reviews, and other articles online, before I purchased the ANC-4 via an eBay auction. My problem is that I live adjacent to one of the regional rail lines in the Philadelphia suburbs. I can see the electrical lines behind my house when I look out the window. I have a high noise level all the time (S9 or greater on many of the HF bands). So I took the plunge to see if this would help my receive situation.

I use an ICOM AH-4 antenna tuner on a 100 foot long wire with my ICOM IC-7000. I mostly operate digital modes, with some SSB during contests.

I was completely surprised when I was able to notch out a substantial amount of noise with an indoor 4 foot long piece of wire as the noise antenna... on several bands (20, 30 and 40 meters). In some cases it made the difference between being able to decode a PSK31 signal without errors, compared to not getting any copy at all. I have worked many weak stations, and increased my country count since getting the device.

All the other reviewers are correct, you must be patient and try all the controls in various positions to find the best notch.

When the weather improves, I will be putting up an external noise antenna - and hope to do even better.

N3LCW Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2010 10:19 Send this review to a friend
An amazing device.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this for years now and it still handles new noise problems that keep popping up.

I think many miss the instructions' suggestion of noting the S meter level with the noise problem on the main antenna, switching to no antenna (or grounded) then turning up the noise gain until the S meter reads the same level of the main antenna with the noise, and then adjusting the phase control trying both phase ranges switch positions, and even the freq. range. Using this method I have been able to eliminate ALL noise problems at this QTH using a 20 ft noise sensing antenna.

It is amazing to hear weak signals buried under noise. If you use indoor antennas this can be especially useful to wipeout locally generated noise from TV LO's, computers, etc.

It's an amazing device.

Andrew
N3LCW

W6OP Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2009 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a new energy efficient furnace that makes a terrible buzzing noise at any frequency a DX station is on. I had the dealer add an RFI kit to it which helped a lot. I can always turn it off for awhile anyway if it bothers me. However, several neighbors have now upgraded their furnaces. I really don't want to hunt them all down and convince them they need an RFI kit so I decided to try the ANC-4.
Initially I connected it to my 2m/440 vertical on the roof without much effect. Then I disconnected my transmit antenna and listened to just the ANC-4. I couldn't hear much. So I connected just the inner conductor on the coax to the VHF antenna. Now I could hear the buzzing. Once I did that I reconnected everything and was able to eliminate the noise in my receiver. I have done further experimenting and basically you need to first listen to the ANC-4 with your main antenna disconnected. If you can't hear the noise, it either isn't a local noise or you need to move the ANC-4 antenna. I use two antennas right now. One is the VHF antenna, just the inner conductor for neighborhood noise and the other is a wire in the shack that picks up my own furnace noise. Since I need my VHF sometimes I am going to add a loop around my yard connected to a spare coax I already have out there.

Pete W6OP

KC9NUE Rating: 0/5 Dec 27, 2008 06:46 Send this review to a friend
pretty pass-through paperweight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have constant electrical noise 7-9 under 10mhz and below 5mhz forget it at my house. I guessed since the noise lessened quickly a couple blocks away and was gone at about a quarter mile away with my portable and was still there after killing my breaker box that it was electrical lines behind the neighbor house or one of those green electrical boxes seen in yards every 5 houses. I tried the ANC4 with my outdoor vertical and every noise antenna from a 1 to 50 foot wire, small dipole, 50 foot across dipole, inside, outside, N-S, E-W, vertical, horizontal...with absolutely zero change in amount/quality of the noise no matter what settings tried. It passed the signal apparently intact every time. I fiddled with it for three days before contacting the good folks I bought it from who took it back minus a 10% restock fee. They said it worked fine on the bench so no point in sending me a replacement to try like I said I would. I guess there is no hope for certain types of noise.

KC2QFF Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2008 22:10 Send this review to a friend
It Works!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I might never again be able to listen or talk on 80 meters due to what I think is high power electrical lines running behind my property. The buzzing sound was s-9 to s-10 most of the time drowning out everyone who was at or below that level. Enter the ANC-4. Forget the supplied antenna. Useless for me. I tried a 6ft dipole next, NG. Next, a 20 meter dipole, outside the house, same as before, NG. Refusing to give up, I made a duplicate 80 meter dipole, same as my TX antenna, installed it parallel to the powerlines about 15-20 ft up, turned on the ANC-4, fiddled with the knobs, and got the noise down to s-4. having the right "noise" antenna made all the difference. Thats why Im writing this review. Dont give up too quickly by taking the easy way out. Make and install the "correct" noise antenna before you quit.
Thanks Timewave, I have 80 meters back again.

W2HLD Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Performed better than my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The most significant noise issue I have experienced since moving to this location four years ago has been the pick up of the horizontal oscillator noise from my neighbors TV. The noise signal is spaced out on the spectrum every 16 KHz.. and as luck would have it, lands right on 7.238 MHz, a frequency that I spend more than 90% of my operating time on with nets and long time friends. Bottom line is that the unit does the job of removing the unwanted noise signal and does it extremely well. To get it to work correctly requires that you spend some time in the correct positioning of the "noise pickup antenna", or "noise probe". This is well documented in the technical material that is sent with the unit. The time was well spent and after a few hours of experimenting, I was able to find the "sweet spot" that effectively nulled out the noise. Would I suggest you run out and buy this product? .. from what I have experienced... YES!

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Electronic Fly Swatter  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my residential lot of 35 by 120 I have every type of RFI radiation from plasma displays to lighting units. Rather than modifying the neighbours equipment and be blamed/liable for any subsequent failure I opted for the ANC-4.

Here is a link to my online demo:

As you can see the buzzing noise is killed totally. This is done as instructed by Timewave, the critical point is adjusting the noise Gain.

I do this by:
1. Noting the noise level on the S-meter.
2. Setting my antenna switch to the grounded position (disables the main antenna)
3. Turn on the ANC-4 and set the noise gain on the to the same as step 1.
4. Set the antenna switch back to my antenna.
5. Set the phase control for best noise reduction.
6. Go back and forth between phase and noise gain get the best noise reduction.

My setup is an ICOM 746pro and a full wave 80m horizontal loop. The Timewave ANC-4 noise canceller fits between the rig and the antenna using pl-259 patch cables. The remote noise sense antenna is a piece of 18 gauge speaker wire strung out to the back yard, which is fed to the ANC-4 via a home brew attenuator.

Bottom line, take your time and it will work fine.

KI4RHC Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2007 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Can Help at Times  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'd like to give this device a 3.5, actually.
The two previous reviewers before me got it right, the ANC-4 can help AT TIMES, making signals usable but definitely with noticable insertion loss (better to lower the signal level and hear it than just listen to overriding noise). I'm using it with a 15' "noise antenna" and sometimes it helps after some knob fiddling. Once its set it doesn't wander, this is also true, until you make a drastic frequency change. If you can't kill the source this is the way to go. Adding an AC line filter to the mix for all equipment should cover the bases.
I tried the MFJ-1026 years ago but can't say I got any help with it like this one.

WE1X Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2007 13:10 Send this review to a friend
A Whole Lot Better Than Nuttin'  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just a note per the previous review. The manual states 6 dB attenuation when the ANC-4 is kicked in. Also regardless of the device, be it the ANC-4, the MFJ, or even the DX Engineering unit....they all treat the symptoms, not the disease. Finding the noise source and correcting the problem is the answer. However, such is not always possible, and the ANC-4 allows you to make a intolerable situation tolerable.

K4GUN Rating: 3/5 Aug 6, 2007 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Decent but no substitute  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been deluged by RFI at my house. I have a constant S7 to S9 noise floor on 20 meters. It makes the band almost unusable. I bought the ANC4 in hopes of being able to hear better. Well, it does reduce the noise. Its not even across the band, but I can get the bulk of 20 down to an S3 to S4 and the rest is S6.

The sounds great, right? Well, kind of. I swear it also attenuates the modulated signals I'm trying to hear. Those DX stations that are probably at an S6 drop to a level just above the noise with the machine on. I can hear them, but not very well. It wasn't until I installed a mobile rig in my truck that I even realized how much this was happening.

It is better than not having it. What would be best is to track down the actual source of the noise. Sometimes, after 2 in the morning, the noise just stops and I can hear the world without the ANC4. I'm sure it a powerline issue and I'm working to get the power company involved. If I can get it knocked out, there will be another ANC4 up for sale.