Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Brown Brothers -all OTHER models (btl,etc). Help

Reviews Summary for Brown Brothers -all OTHER models (btl,etc).
Brown Brothers -all OTHER models (btl,etc). Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $30.00
Description: Brown Brothers-all OTHER models (btl,etc).

You can write your own review of the Brown Brothers -all OTHER models (btl,etc)..

GU4CHY Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2002 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Very happy 25 year ownership  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was recommended a BTL A by the late GU5CIA/K5MM. I have recently become QRV after a 15 year lay off. The BTL A needed no adjustment at all - unlike my CW! I have used other keys but none comes close to ease of sending. If you see one for sale don't hesitate. But don't ask me for mine!

WD9GCO Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2002 13:37 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back when I was in High School in the late '70's, my Elmer had a BTL-A in his shack. That's what I learned to send on. So, naturally, when I got my ticket I asked for one for Christmas.

Still have it.

I took mine off the factory base, though. I was given a 4" diameter by 1" thick steel puck that I had machined smooth for me, and also had a depression in the bottom cut in so I could mount a small terminal strip. Also had it drilled and tapped to match the mounting holes and paddle wires, then had it painted black crinkle to match the paddle frame.

It sits on a small piece of non-skid shelf liner, and nothing short of an earthquake will move it.

Still the smoothest paddle I've used. And, judging from the fact that I've seen a grand total of ONE at hamfests over the years, there must be a bunch of other guys who won't let go of theirs, either. And I've turned down a couple of offers to buy mine.

I love that little jewel. Since I grew up about an hour from St. Louis, I also felt an affinity for the "hometown guys".

Paul WD9GCO

K0CBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2002 11:17 Send this review to a friend
The best; bar none.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a small collection of BB keys and paddles; a BTL-A, a CTL-A and two BTL-B's. When I was active they all got used. I am absolutely convinced that as long as one Brown Brothers key is left in the world no one else can rightly claim to have the 'best' key going. That flat spring steel hinge design was/is a stroke of genius. Ultimately simple and stops all side slop.

W4YA Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2002 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Reliable key  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 30 years I've had to adjust my Brown Bros key once. I wish they were still being made.

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2002 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Durable & reliable key  Time owned: more than 12 months
My son and I shared his single-lever Vibroplex key paddle for over ten years. When he grew up and moved out, I needed a keyer paddle. When I found the Brown Bros. BTL-A iambic paddle for sale at a local ham store, I scooped it up right away. Even though I still use single-lever techniques, this iambic paddle feels right to me. Being a native St. Louisan, I am partial to this one!