Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten Tec Centurion Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Centurion
Ten Tec Centurion Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1895.00
Description: Full QSK, a pair of 3-500Z tubes for 1300 watts PEP on SSB.

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Centurion.

N1DZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this pre-owned amp. It is the earlier light gray front panel version and likely built in 1995. This amp replaces a Ten Tec Centaur to give me a little more headroom.
Even after 15 years of use this amp still performs as new. I had an Acom 1000 and PW-1 before. So why did I choose the Centurion?
-Instant on KW plus
-Easy to tune by numbers.
-Very quiet
-Desk top size
-Solidly built
-Legendary Ten Tec support
-Cheap tubes
-Does not self destruct due to operator error
-Easy serviceble
NI0C Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2010 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Quiet and reliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There's nothing I dislike about this fine amplifer by Ten Tec.

It is just the right size to fit in my crowded shack. It sits on top of a two drawer steel file cabinet. I used it to complete 160m DXCC last season, so it has had a workout. The LED peak power meter allows me to leave the analog meter set to monitor grid current at all times. The fan is only slightly noisier than the one in my previous amplifier (a single 3-500Z AL80B).

I love the built-in QSK. The hidden power switch is appreciated by this grandfather who frequently has grandkids visit the shack.

The amplifier seems to tolerate mismatch conditions (SWR as high as 3.5:1) that occur with my narrow band lowband vertical antennas.
PA4F Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2010 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an outstanding performer not only named after a tank but built like it too. The amplifier delivers 1300 Watts, like it just left the TenTec store. In and outside are bright and shiny. I just run it with 80 watts from my Yeasu FT-950 and the amplifier puts a very fat 1000 Watts into my antenna. The amplifier Works on any modern transceiver and is very quiet. No hoovercraft fan or clattering from relays, I just love it. This is definily a keeper. If you can get your hands of one on these donít hesitate you wonít be disappointed.
Frans Ė PA4F
W6IZT Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 05:04 Send this review to a friend
A great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a very early model 422. It is so old that it doesn't have a serial number! I beleive that I am the 3rd owner. It was not operating when I bought it and I had originally intented to convert it to 6 meters. These amps are very well engineered and it would have been a shame to modify it, so it is now paired with my K2 and works extremely well, putting out in excess of 1300 watts on all HF bands. Tuning is extremely smooth, the QSK is excellent and it has never missed a beat! I would recommend this amp to anyone who is looking for a solid performer that can last for many years.
K5HSV Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 22:00 Send this review to a friend
5.0/5.0 After 1 Year of Use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Once again, I have to say that Ten Tec has produced a Great amp with the 422B CENTURION. One thing I've understood is that after 600 watts with any amp, it's all about what you have up in the air. The model 422B CENTURION uses the classic pair of 3-500Z tubes, available and reasonable at this time. The power supply features a tape wound Hypersil transformer for minimum weight and size. I won't go into the specs that you can read off of the website, however, will say that I can easily run 1kw without sweating the tubes. That makes for an amp that will increases expected overall tube life and decreases the potential for tube failure. I'm still in love with this amp and the design of it.

N5FXV Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality Construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The quality construction of the Centurion Amplifier is what convinced me to buy it over a less expensive alternative. It would be replacing my Alpha 374A,which was a lightning strike victim earlier this year. I wanted to have the Alpha quality, without the Alpha price tag. I have to say I made the right choice! The Centurion is very easy to tune, and will put out 1300 WATTS under contest conditions without missing a beat. The Centurion's foot print is small enough to fit most average sized desk tops with out any problems. The fan is much quieter than the Alpha 374A, and the metering is just as good. I have to say it looks better than the old Alpha too! Thanks TEN-TEC for a sure to be Classic Amp.
W4WST Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 08:17 Send this review to a friend
SUPER SMOOTH AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
W1FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2007 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Centurion a little more than a year. The current price in 2007 is quite a bit higher than the price shown in the box for this website, but given the competition (both higher and lower in price) its still a good value. I wired my shack for 220VAC thirty years ago, so there's no line voltage problems here. It's smart to run the 3-500s easy as does Ten-Tec; a fraction of a db gain isnt worth the shortened tube life. The diode bar graph readout on the Centurion is handy for estimating power output, but I recently purchased the Array Solutions 3KW Power Master swr/wattmeter which is a gem of an instrument. I use the Centurion with an Orion II and the whole thing works very smoothly. I have the Ten-Tec 238B tuner, but dont use it much with my long terminated Vees on some bands since the SWR is so low and constant from band to band. Not a whimper from the Centurion. In amateur usage, I've never owned one of the 2.5 KW amps, but don't see why I need more than the 1.2 KW or so from this one. The little circuit board plug-in for 12/10 meters didnt quite fit but went into its slots anyway and has given no trouble. Ten-Tec support for my other gear has been very good, but since I've had no trouble with the Centurion, I can't comment on any repairs to it.
KB3IFH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2007 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Purchased amp in 10/02. Has been a solid performer. My only regret is that I wish I had purchased the TITAN so I could have 1500 watts. The amp did have to go back to the shop recently due to an issue that was my fault. Repair costs was $275.00 . Service was handled well.
K5SL Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first amp to own in 34 years of hamming. I have used others. Being a CW op I am very impressed with the full qsk of this amp. So far- SSB reports have also been good. Checked with a Bird wattmeter-it can put out well over 1kw output with the graphite finals in it. The LED power scale is only accurate at 40/20m. I can drive it with 80w and get almost 1 kw out. Thats good enough. It has a small small foot print and sits up about the size of my HF rigs. If you can find one in good shape for under 1k$ you better buy it.