Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten Tec Centurion Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Centurion
Ten Tec Centurion Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1895.00
Description: Full QSK, a pair of 3-500Z tubes for 1300 watts PEP on SSB.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Amplifiers/TT422

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Centurion.

W6IZT Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 05:04 Send this review to a friend
A great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a very early model 422. It is so old that it doesn't have a serial number! I beleive that I am the 3rd owner. It was not operating when I bought it and I had originally intented to convert it to 6 meters. These amps are very well engineered and it would have been a shame to modify it, so it is now paired with my K2 and works extremely well, putting out in excess of 1300 watts on all HF bands. Tuning is extremely smooth, the QSK is excellent and it has never missed a beat! I would recommend this amp to anyone who is looking for a solid performer that can last for many years.

K5HSV Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 22:00 Send this review to a friend
5.0/5.0 After 1 Year of Use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Once again, I have to say that Ten Tec has produced a Great amp with the 422B CENTURION. One thing I've understood is that after 600 watts with any amp, it's all about what you have up in the air. The model 422B CENTURION uses the classic pair of 3-500Z tubes, available and reasonable at this time. The power supply features a tape wound Hypersil transformer for minimum weight and size. I won't go into the specs that you can read off of the website, however, will say that I can easily run 1kw without sweating the tubes. That makes for an amp that will increases expected overall tube life and decreases the potential for tube failure. I'm still in love with this amp and the design of it.

73s,
K5HSV

N5FXV Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality Construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The quality construction of the Centurion Amplifier is what convinced me to buy it over a less expensive alternative. It would be replacing my Alpha 374A,which was a lightning strike victim earlier this year. I wanted to have the Alpha quality, without the Alpha price tag. I have to say I made the right choice! The Centurion is very easy to tune, and will put out 1300 WATTS under contest conditions without missing a beat. The Centurion's foot print is small enough to fit most average sized desk tops with out any problems. The fan is much quieter than the Alpha 374A, and the metering is just as good. I have to say it looks better than the old Alpha too! Thanks TEN-TEC for a sure to be Classic Amp.

K5HSV Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2008 00:18 Send this review to a friend
American Made & Built Like a Tank...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ten Tec does it right. The 422B CENTURION uses the classic pair of 3-500Z tubes and has no problem putting out 1300 watts of clean RF power for SSB and CW with 100 watts from the exciter. This a "honeymoon review", however, I'd have no problem revising it should nothing change.

I called to talk to tech support before it arrived and they were great to explain the over all operation. Great Amp, Great Service and American Made. That's a real plus for me.

73's,
Paul - K5HSV

K0ZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2007 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Take all the positive comments from previous reviewers - this is my experience as well. I have had my Centurion only a week + so far, but after about 20 hours of operation I can offer only praise for the product. Tuning repeatability is outstanding.

W4WST Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 08:17 Send this review to a friend
SUPER SMOOTH AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE SMOOTHEST, EASIEST TUNING AND MOST FORGIVING AMP I HAVE EVER OWNED. I HAVE IT MATED TO A TENTEC ORION ll AND IT'S A PLEASURE TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THIS SET-UP AND ENJOY YOURSELF.
IF YOU WANT A NICE OPERATING AMP, GET YOURSELF A CENTURION. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.
W4WST

W1FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2007 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Centurion a little more than a year. The current price in 2007 is quite a bit higher than the price shown in the box for this website, but given the competition (both higher and lower in price) its still a good value. I wired my shack for 220VAC thirty years ago, so there's no line voltage problems here. It's smart to run the 3-500s easy as does Ten-Tec; a fraction of a db gain isnt worth the shortened tube life. The diode bar graph readout on the Centurion is handy for estimating power output, but I recently purchased the Array Solutions 3KW Power Master swr/wattmeter which is a gem of an instrument. I use the Centurion with an Orion II and the whole thing works very smoothly. I have the Ten-Tec 238B tuner, but dont use it much with my long terminated Vees on some bands since the SWR is so low and constant from band to band. Not a whimper from the Centurion. In amateur usage, I've never owned one of the 2.5 KW amps, but don't see why I need more than the 1.2 KW or so from this one. The little circuit board plug-in for 12/10 meters didnt quite fit but went into its slots anyway and has given no trouble. Ten-Tec support for my other gear has been very good, but since I've had no trouble with the Centurion, I can't comment on any repairs to it.

KB3IFH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2007 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. Purchased amp in 10/02. Has been a solid performer. My only regret is that I wish I had purchased the TITAN so I could have 1500 watts. The amp did have to go back to the shop recently due to an issue that was my fault. Repair costs was $275.00 . Service was handled well.

K5SL Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first amp to own in 34 years of hamming. I have used others. Being a CW op I am very impressed with the full qsk of this amp. So far- SSB reports have also been good. Checked with a Bird wattmeter-it can put out well over 1kw output with the graphite finals in it. The LED power scale is only accurate at 40/20m. I can drive it with 80w and get almost 1 kw out. Thats good enough. It has a small small foot print and sits up about the size of my HF rigs. If you can find one in good shape for under 1k$ you better buy it.

AB3CX Rating: 3/5 Dec 23, 2006 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although this amp is a fine performer, Hams should be aware of a quality issue that exists with the power transformers for the Centurion 422B made 2004-2006. The long term in house transformer winder left thecompany sometime within the past 3 years, after which transformer making was outsourced. A number of Centurions from the past few years then had transformers go bad with shorts. Ten Tec just began replacing these with new units last week. Mine was a 2004 Centurion in which the power transformer shorted for no apparent reason. Because I am a second owner, so the cost to me was over $500 in repairs. Paul Clinton at Ten Tec was not very helpful, and blamed this problem on anything and everything(arc, power line surge, lightening) except the ongoing quality issue. Other people in the service department were more honest with me about the issues, and gave me the full explanation. Although I was initially told the company would not charge me full replacement cost, eventually they did. The replacement took 3 months to get, during which time I was amp-less. I suggest that if you are considering buying a recent 422B, that you find out from Ten Tec if the power transformer is from one of the questionable lots according to the serial number. I'm done with Ten tec after this experience.