Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft AV-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AV-5R
Cushcraft AV-5R Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $?
Description: Multiband Vertical:80,40,20,15,10
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/pdffiles/av3482.pdf

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AV-5R.

2E0WET Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 15:18 Send this review to a friend
An oldie, but a goodie.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this as a used bargain.
Having previously used a full size G5RV & various other resonant single band dipoles and end fed wires.

The largest radials are just over 56 feet long so if you can't accommodate these, this probably isn't the antenna for you.

I've just compeated in the CQWW contest.
So how did it perform...
Well flawlessly. I made almost 400 QSO's with the furthest 7000 miles from the UK to Hawaii, using just 50w.

I live in a windy area and 70mph winds are common, but I've got 4 guy lines attached and its always perfectly straight.

Would i recommend the Av_5 vertical, well yes but only if you have the room for the radials.

W3SQE Rating: 4/5 Nov 5, 2013 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Great, especially for free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given this antenna a few years ago, thanks John and Billy. It sat around for a year or two before I decided to install it. It was missing one section and Cushcraft had it and sent it for a good price.
I have dipoles for each band and prefer monoband antennas and have the room for them. I wanted to try a vertical and use it on the higher bands especially.
I must say it works pretty well and tunes easily on all bands. I followed the instructions in the manual pdf link and put three radials ea for 10,15 and 20 as recommended. I didn't want to install the longer 40 and 80 radials.
It works well on those bands and easily tunes on 12 and 17 too. I always compare it to my other antennas when possible and it is often better on the high bands.
I'm glad I took the time to install it and enjoy the flexibility it added.