Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | FUNcube Dongle Pro+ Help

FUNcube Dongle Pro+ Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $£150
Description: 150kHz to 240MHz & 420MHz to 1.9GHz all mode Software Defined
Radio Receiver.
More info: http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=1073

You can write your own review of the FUNcube Dongle Pro+.

AF4RK Rating: 0/5 Jun 2, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm sure this is a great device when it works. Unfortunately I received one with no output other than static. i keyed up my HT on 446 and I saw some activity on the display when tuned the same freq, but no audio. I also have the Noolec dongle, which works really well with SDR# and HDSDR, so it's not user error. The RTL unit picks up all the local aircraft activity, this unit shows nothing. I am pursuing a refund through paypal having heard nothing from the seller.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2014 09:46 Send this review to a friend
perfect first SDR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Haveing no experience with SDR's I was tempted to buy one some months ago and have never regretted it. For the price this really is an amzing piece of gear.SDR Console gives it countless options and possibilities to improve signals and beat the noise. Now that I have experienced its countless possibilities I regret to not have gotten into SDR much earlier...

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
BCB Overload  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living near a big city, we have several strong AM stations within 10 miles. Below 4 mHz multiple phantom signals cover the spectrum. Below the AM band it is virtually useless due to total BCB overload regardless of LNA gain settings. Using the ICE 402x eliminates the problem from 1.8 mHz and higher but naturally kills all reception below 1.8 mHz. More filtering is needed between the antenna and the dongle. A low pass filter for VLF would help. For amateur band (Ham) use I find the SoftRock Ensemble II a much better choice because it has excellent filters. I do like the internal sound card in the FCDP+. I use HDSDR and SDR# and both give excellent results. For FM BCB reception it does work ok but keep in mind that you can see only one station at a time due to the 192 kHz bandwidth limit. It's not a fault of the FC, just a characteristic. I'll be trying it on UHF next.

W9PMZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2013 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive SDR Solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I have been using the FUNcube to listen to MF through VHF. It works surprisingly well! It is sensitive and compares to my ICOM transceiver.

I am using SDRConsole in a Windows window on a MAC Book Pro. The software every now and then gets lost and things happen. Restarting the software and all is OK.

Now all that is needed is a FunCube transmitter...

Carl - W9PMZ

M0XMH Rating: 2/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Flawed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Deaf as a post on some bands and slow to tune on others but otherwise reasonable performance for a entrance level £150 SDR receiver, albeit it physically very fragile and plasticky in build quality.

Unfortunately mine died after a just over a day. Yet when politely asking for a refund I was not only not given a refund (note there is no Email address, no phone number nor customer service at all at "Funcube Dongle HQ"), I was unceremoniously dumped from the Yahoo Groups 'Funcube Dongle Pro +' discussion forum without warning or reason immediately afterwards. I didn't message in public for a refund, just slapped down without explanation after asking the moderator directly, and "Howard" himself. Funcube need to enter the world of 21st Century customer service from the hobbyist Tandy-come-Radio Shack-based apartment where they put these dongles together from. Only then will they can truly say they have fully honoured the customer base that pay money for their product.

Else, I would buy into the Flex or an Ettus SDR concept, at least you can transmit and have full technical back up when things don't work out.

VE3XQQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
This is one great piece of kit!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have this running a second receiver and Panadapter on my TenTec Eagle. It is plugged into the AUX2 output which sits between the low pass filter and the preselector. The Dongle presents such a light load that I do not require a preamp to compensate for the expected 3DB drop.

It is almost as good as the 599 Eagle’s receiver; comparatively on SSB it lacks sensitivity on S1 signals and selectivity on contest weekends with the 15DB boomers. Otherwise a very good second receiver and for the price it is excellent!!

I have found that HDSDR software is best suited to my hamming habits and nicely integrates into my N4PY rig control software. With this setup I can drive with the Knob on the rig, or the mouse on the panadapter… what you click is what you hear!!

I am now thinking of tower mounting one under a discone for vhf uhf coverage as a scanner, just need to figure out if the USB cable can be run that far.

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Entry Level SDR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wonderful entry level SDR. This has to be about the cheapest way to have a LF to L Band SDR receiver.
I am using mine in conjuction with an RF parts mini splitter connected from the Receive Antenna RX in & Rx out port on my Icom IC775DSP . This gives my Icom a true 2nd receiver & shares my 80m Windom antenna or 160m Inverted L .
I am using the SDR# (SDR Sharp) program to control the FCD.

You can store your favourite frequencies in the program just like memory channels. There is also an excellent recorder on the SDR# program.

I fitted my FCD Pro+ into a 1oz tobacco tin to give it some rf shielding. I have uploaded pics of this set up to the Yahoo Fcdproplus group. Link here:

There are lots of possibilities with the FCD including communications with the FUNcube satellite that will be launched later this month November 2013 .

These devices much be popular as the first emporium I tried to buy one from had sold out of them.

I believe this is the latest generation possibly the 3rd generation & has more coverage than previous models.

So far I am delighted with the results I've had.

Regards,