Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG RT-100 Remote Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG RT-100 Remote Tuner
LDG RT-100 Remote Tuner Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: The RT-100 uses the same proven technology as other LDG tuners, but is engineered to be installed outdoors near the antenna feedpoint, reducing potential SWR losses in the transmission line. DC power is provided over the coax; no separate power cable is required. The RT-100 contains an internal “Bias Tee” circuit that separates RF and DC at the tuner
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG RT-100 Remote Tuner.

KF5VDV Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2014 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Worked ok, while it worked  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the LDG RT-100 as soon as it hit the market in 2013. Initial results were ok, but not fascinating. The RT-100 was set up as a remote tuner on a 29' Zerofive 80m - 6m vertical. My Yaesu FT-450D can tune 30m - 6m (minus 15m) on the Zerofive with the 450's internal tuner, but 15m, 40m and 80m were out of the internal tuner's 3:1 SWR reach. The LDG RT-100 was able to tune 40m with no problem, 15m would sometimes retune during a QSO; so had to tune, then power off the RC-100 bias tee so the tuner would stay put, and 80m wouldn't even come close to tuning. The RT-100 usually would tune a new band within 6 - 10 seconds, but would sometimes search endlessly even when the SWR would drop to 1:1, the tuner would keep tuning and SWR would rise and fall until I unkeyed the mic. Once a match was found, switching bands was usually instant with the exception of 15m.
A few days ago I noticed the SWR spiked when switching from 20m to 17m. The RT-100 wasn't tuning. After a few minutes of troubleshooting, I hooked up my Fluke to the output of the RC-100 bias tee to test for 13VDC, there was no voltage. After troubleshooting the RC-100, I found a failed resistor and after replacing it, the RC-100 bias tee was once again working. Wondering why the resistor had failed, I doublechecked the feedline to make sure nothing had shorted out, all was well. I hooked the bias tee back up and keyed a 30w AM carrier on 17m but the RT-100 still wouldn't tune. After some more troubleshooting and taking apart the RT-100 tuner, I found that when powering on the RT-100 tuner, the red LED on the board lights up, one of the relays “clicks”, then the LED goes off and the tuner goes silent.
I have never grounded the feedline nor run more than 100w PEP / 30w continuous through the tuner, so the tuner has never seen any abuse.
LDG tech support said to send the tuner back for replacement, so I am shipping it back today. Will give an update when I hear back from LDG.

G4CMY Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 04:35 Send this review to a friend
The right tool for the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Due to restrictions on outdoor antennae, I needed to put a multi band antenna into my loft.
I decided on a shortened doublet (as described by G8PG in Autumn 1990 edition of SPRAT).

Problem - I needed to get the feed from the open wire feeder down into the ground floor shack without injecting my house electrics with stray RF or picking up electrical noise along the way.

Solution - an RT100 remote auto tuner in the loft at the end of the open wire feeder (via a 4:1 balun) and coax down the wall cavity into the shack.

The rig sees an SWR of 1:1 on all bands from 30m to 6m and around 1.5:1 on 40m and all without the need to for multiple trips up to the loft pruning wires for resonance.

Works fine with my 2W QRP rig and my 100W QRO rig.

No EMC or RFI problems experienced so far.

Make sure you don't ground the coax though or you will instantly cook the RC100 controller (bitter ecperience).

W2QID Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2014 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Very well made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner does not tune as well as my S.E.A. remote
tuner. I have been unable to use my 33' vertical
antenna below 7MHz with it, whereas the S.E.A. will
tune 1.8Mhz and up with no trouble at all. I have
done everything that the LDG tech people have
suggested but no joy as yet. I even sent it back
to them but they found no problem with it. I must
say that this company seems top-notch and the turn
around time was fast. As to the bias T feed, in
trying to use various UNUN configurations I smoked
two of their units by inadvertently grounding the
feedline. When warmer temperatures return I will
make another effort to get it right.

K1YPB Rating: 2/5 Feb 27, 2014 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Burned up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Everything was working fine then... poof! The RC 100 bias controller smoked while tuning. Lots of smoke and really bad burning smell in the shack. Antenna and coax are ok. They worked perfectly after removing the LDG stuff and using my MFJ-949E at the transmitter. Not sure what happened. Looking forward to see how LDG handles this.

G0TMX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend recommended this tuner to me, after I had messed around with alsorts of remote tuners. When I got the unit, there was a definite 'rattle' from inside and I feared something was lose, but testing it with my friend's set up proved I need not have worried, and all was ok..
You will need to ensure you have an earth connected to the tuner before trying any serious work with it. Once you have, operation is quick an easy. On initial tune up, it can take quite a long while for the tuner to find a match, but when it has, it retains the settings for future use and speedy return. It has managed to match my simple 40m dipole to most of the traditional ham bands, and even the WARC ones with ease. I would recommend getting the RT-100 bias tee controller as well.. although once tuned, you can switch the whole set up off, and it retains it's settings and you can continue to operate.. I really like that. Well done LDG!

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to DXengineering and Fedex international, my new RT-100 and RC-100 took five days to arrive at my house in South Africa after placing the order.

When the Fedex guy handed me the package, I thought there must be a problem - it was really light, way lighter and smaller than my other Icom AH-4 and Kenwood KAT-100 remote tuners that I have. The RT-100 is really small and light, probably the size of a paperback book....but much lighter. I was instantly sceptical.

I first installed it at the base of a ZS6BKW (modified G5RV) mutiband antenna, and then tried it with a Carolina windom, and 43 ft vertical and a top loaded 160 meter band vertical. It performed flawlessly !!!!

Operation with the optional RC-100 is seamless - you can forget that the tuner is in line, just change bands and talk. If it has used the portion of the band you are currently using before, then it instantly takes you to that tuned state. If it doesn't have the portion of the band memorised that you are using, it silently tunes....all while you continue to talk - no interaction from the operator required. All you need to do is leave the RC-100 remote controller turned ON, so that 12 volts is fed down the coax if it needs to use it for tuning purposes.

One thing I am confused about - the manual says the tuner can be bypassed, but I don't see how. The tuner uses latching relays, so if you switch off the RC-100 remote control to remove 12v, the tuning circuit remains inline. I would like to be able to bypass the tuner in some circumstances.

A fantastic product at a really cheap price - currently only $ 199 for the RT-100 and $ 49 for the RC-100. Only having used it for a few days now, I don't think it delivers as good an SWR as my Icom AH-4 or Kenwood KAT-100 but it is acceptable...mostly better than 1.5:1. What I like about this LDG is that I can use it on any radio - I liked that aspect of it, so I could use it with my Flex-5000 and Flex-3000, and with my Flex-1500 radio when away from home. Of course, the other good thing about this unit is that you don't need a control cable, and you are not limited to the length of a control cable...only by the length of your coax cable.

I can see myself buying a few more of these units for my non-resonant antennas. As much as I love my Icom AH-4 and Kenwood KAT-100 remote tuners, it is frustrating to be limited to their brand of radio to use their tuner. And if you do use their radio with their product, often you find that the control cable is not long enough to reach the antenna. No need to worry about that with the LDG, just hook up coax cable, and supply 12 volts to the small RC-100 in the shack, and you are good to go.

G4PNF Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 01:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its early days but having had this little tuner a couple of weeks or so here are my first impressions. I have it connected to a G5RV via a choke balun and it matches well with almost a 1:1 SWR from 80m to 6m including all the WARC bands and 60m. It is pretty quick to find a match once it has "remembered" the frequency but occasionally needs to go through a full tune cycle for some reason. I use it with the RC-100 bias-T unit which also seems to do the job very well indeed.
I do quite a bit of CW at 100 watts and even after a long QSO there is no apparent warming of the unit.
I often find that I need to send a continuous carrier to get it to tune up as the short pulses from CW don't always do the trick. It does however detect low levels of RF and I find a short 5 watt burst of carrier is plenty to operate the tune up process.
Really great so far and it does exactly what I hoped it would do. Looks like LDG have produced a winner.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nothing complicated about this tuner. Easy to install, and works as specified. Construction seems to be very good. It is made of quality materials, I use it to tune a stealth vertical on the back deck. I recommend also getting the RC-100

K8DSS Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Looks like a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed the RT-100 and RC-100 combo for tuning my 40 - 10M OCF stealth sloper. My coax run to the antenna is about 150 feet, so a low SWR is nice. The RT-100 works as specified and I made 100+ contacts in the CQ WW CW Contest with it. Hopping from band to band with my K3 was easy and the correct tuning parameters seemed to always be there. Another review will follow in a few months, but I like it, so far.

73' K8DSS

K3TKJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 18:03 Send this review to a friend
This was worth waiting for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of LDG's newest products. I received it yesterday hooked it up immediately and it tuned every antenna I hooked it to. The plan now is to mount it at the feed point of my random length loop. I was impressed with the size 7.0”L x 5.5”W x 3.5”H and it's one pound weight. This is definitely a keeper and I plan to order two more of them for a future antenna project.

These are the simple directions from LDG for it's use:

1. Turn off power to your radio.
2. Connect the antenna jack on the transceiver to the “Radio” jack on the optional RC-100.
3. Connect the “Tuner” jack of the optional RC-100 to the “Radio” jack on the RT-100 via a suitable length of coax feed line.
4. Connect the antenna to the “Ant” jack on the RT-100.
5. Connect a source of 12VDC, 500mA to the Power jack on the optional RC-100.
6. Power up your radio and begin operating normally; the tuner will automatically initiate a tuning cycle if there is an SWR mismatch.