Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | AVVid Help

AVVid
322 VZ County Rd 2714
Mabank, TX 75147

Phone: 214-850-0973

The phone is a cell phone and cantankerous. If no answer leave a message and I'll return the call.

Working on Kenwood equipment only. No warranty work.

Best contact is via e-mail, I check it several times a day.

Clif Holland KA5IPF

More info: http://www.avvid.com/

You can write your own review of the AVVid.

N5IZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 07:44 Send this review to a friend
ts480sat repair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i sent my ts 480sat to cliff and he repaired it in due time and did a great job.at a reasonable price..great job.thanks cliff..73 ray n5iz

N9BTU Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2011 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Spot-on repair-Fast turn-a-round  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As far as Clif's work goes, he is the best when it comes to Kenwoods. Shipped my 940 to him where it appeared to be stuck in the transmit mode all the time. Cliff said his turn-a-round time was about 3-4 days and he was actually faster than that. Got radio back fully aligned and as good as new.

Now, for Clif's attitude and communication....he is a little lacking in this department which I can offset by the speed, quality, and price of his repairs. However, when I thought I had a problem-which actually turned-out to be an incredibly high noise level due to a neon light in the shack and not his repair, he was a little indignant that I would even question his repair. Granted, he was right and you have to admire a man who is so confident in his work that he defends his work sight unseen,but a lot could happen in shipping that while not negating his work, could make you "both right". I wasn't, but he was not particularly anxious to believe me and take another look at the radio.

Like I said, it all turned out well and his repair was perfect. I guess when you have been delighting hams for as long as Clif has, you can be a little crabby and a tad "rightious"! I am grateful that we have a Clif still doing this kinda work and doing it well.

W7AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2011 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Great service with great results  Time owned: more than 12 months
Clif took care of two problems I had with my TS-950SD. One was self inflicted while I was troubleshooting why the rig would not transmit. He repaired my damage and replaced the shorted finals.
Total turn around time was about one month. The rig works just like new now. I have had the 950 for about twenty years and really like it. I bought a TS 590 about a year ago and just love that rig also. I guess I'll use the 950 as the back up rig. I have both ready to use any time with my switching set up.

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2011 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Great service at a fair price  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's getting hard to find a qualified technician to repair the older Kenwood hybrids and when my TS-530 went lame recently it was a "no brainer" to send it to Clif. As usual (this is my third time to use AVVid since '96) the rig was ready when promised and the price to repair the bandswitch, NAR switch and to align was more than fair. In addition Clif provided some good tips to keep the rig going. Can't ask for more!

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2011 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like to trade a lot and just got a TS-50 in on trade. I also received a note on the service "just performed" by Cliff. Amazing work, he "replaced the microprocessor!!!" as well as fixed a few issues that are known to happen in a TS-50. Last he replaced the notorious battery for an extremely reasonable price. Hats off to Cliff and others that keep our radios alive. Based off this Invoice, I would have no issues recommending him to anyone that needs service. When and if.. I ever need service, certainly.. I would recommend him. Frank KG9H

KB6HPD Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2011 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Clif serviced my Kenwood and had it back to me with in 10 days. Fair pricing and excellent work.

Thanks Clif!!

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2011 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Didn't fix it, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So, after a vicious thunderstorm, my beloved TS-2000 would not power up. I pulled it apart and did all I knew to do, but I could not fix it. Based on reviews here, I contacted Clif. He suggested a couple of things to try first but finally emailed, "Guess it has to come in."

My only complaint was I received no confirmation that he got the radio (my FedEx tracking let me know, though), nor any idea of how long it would take to look at it. When I emailed Clif a week later and asked, he tersely told me "two to three weeks until it comes around, just like everybody else."

Sure enough, two and a half weeks later, he let me know the control board was gone, almost certainly a victim of a lightning surge. He gave me an estimate for replacing it, but reminded me--as I knew--that lightning-damaged radios could have other problems that he would not see until he replaced the control board and did a full alignment. And other parts could be weakened and might go later. I can only imagine how many folks get a working radio back from repair and then blame Clif when it dies two weeks or two months later.

When I told him I was filing an insurance claim (with ARRL Hays Affinity -- review elsewhere) he offered to do a full written diagnosis, including the explanation about lingering problems.

All in all, Clif did a good job as far as I can tell of diagnosis. Once the main problem was identified, he communicated well, too, and was honest and clear in what he told me. Though he ended up not fixing my radio (we junked it), I would certainly use him again...with the Kenwood TS-590S I am going to buy with the replacement insurance money...but I hope I never have to. Follow the clear instructions on the Avvid web site and you should have as good an experience as possible under such circumstances.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KE5DFK Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give AVVID a 5, found and repaired the problem at a reasonable cost in a timely manner.

I sent Cliff a Kenwood D700 that was no longer receiving on 2m. Another tech had already looked at it and could not find the problem. Cliff found and repair the problem, an internal break inside the multilayer-ed board. His repair was performed in a timely manner at a VERY REASONABLE cost. I met Cliff at the Belton, TX swap meet and found both Cliff and his wife to be very nice and informative people. I would not hesitate one bit sending any kenwood gear to Cliff.

K4NCT Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Kenwood Amateur Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I shipped my TS-940S Kenwood to Clif for a full alignment and transmit issue that i had with my rig and received it back in like new condition,performing as good as it did when i bought it new back in 1990.Clif is a super guy to do business with and very knowledgable on Kenwood gear.Very pleased with the work on my gear and very pleased with the quick turnaround time as well.I highly recommend Avvid for all Kenwood repairs.Give Clif a try if you want quality repairs on your Kenwood Amateur Gear,you will be glad you did.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Knowledgable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cliff is one of the best in the industry for toubleshooting a problem. I had an icom 751a and decided to send it to local repair center a few hundred miles away.Bad choice. It came back, Worked for a week and the problem came back.Found cliff on the net due to reviews. I had it back in 8 days and for the past few years the radio has been perfect.If or when i have problems nobody but cliff touches my equipment.

Anthony K2VI