Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4230MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4230MV
MFJ-4230MV Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 30 amp switching power supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4230MV .

WA2FZB Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2017 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Small size, small price, big performance.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this little power supply for my portable/Field Day station in my camper. It is tiny, inexpensive, and has delivered impressive performance so far. I use it to power a 25 year old Kenwood TS-850, which can be quite a power hog, pulling peaks near 25 amps at full output. This little power supply delivers the current without a problem, and stays cool doing it.

Also, the old 850 has a tendency to pull a big surge on power up, which has been a problem for some other power supplies I have used in the past. No such problems with this one, and I have not heard any switching noise or birdies either. My primary station power supply is an Alinco DM-330MV, and this little MFJ supply seems to be just as quiet, at about half the price.

For great value and performance, I give this one 5 out of 5, and have no regrets whatsoever.

Tony WA2FZB

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2017 08:38 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PRODUCT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review. I now own 2 of these, & they run 24/7. Never a problem, & always cool to the touch. They are made by Nissei Electric in China, & sold under the MFJ, Jetstream, & QJE names. To be fair, I only use them on my UHF, & VHF mobile radios in the house. For HF I still use a 25 pound Astron, so I have no idea if my units generate birdies on HF. I have never had ANY problems with mine, & it's rare to see a quality MFJ product, but then again, they did not build this product. They just work, & I couldn't be happier.

HB9RYZ Rating: 1/5 May 25, 2017 01:44 Send this review to a friend
Destroies your devices  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi All - please be aware of using the MFJ-4230MV.
I installed all my devices such as KX2 Transceiver, a JUMA PA100-D 100W Amplfier and the LDG Z-11 Pro 2 ATU to the 13.8V MFJ Power Supply.

I switched the power supply to ON and suddenly the JUMA PA100-D Amplifier was destroyed!!!! A huge black cloud appears on the corner of the 13.8V connector.

So the root cause is: If you switch on the power supply, it would start a certain initial test and let full voltage and current through the 13.8V outage and will/could destroy your attached devices!!!!

In this case I advise you to not use this power supply, due to false behavior which I really not understand. Everytime I switch on your power supply I have to disconnect first all my devices from the power supply. This is not a common usage.

I've just got the following answer from MFJ:
"contact your foreign dealer regarding the return. hopefully you made the switch to 220 power"

My answer on that was:
And just let you know, as we are ham radio operators, we have the neeeded knowledge regarding electronics and electric! Just keep us not as dummies!!!

You should know your products better in order to help the customer to use them. But as you let build your products in China you are not able to do the right quality checks.

It's now my last buy of a MFJ product. As I had a same bad expierence with your ATU MFJ-998RT!

I will post the function of your power supply in eHams to warn the other hams to buy shuch a crap.

Wolfgang
HB9RYZ

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 15:08 Send this review to a friend
it's Jetstream!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using a huge power supply for a while not wanting to trust this MFJ even though when I did use it there were no problems. So I just happened to see someone elses review mentioning that this was really built by Jetstream - and they have great reviews. Funny, but I was always kind of amazed at the build quality of this power supply. MFJ is not known for 'build quality'. So - I'm back to using this MFH/Jetstream supply that takes up a fraction of the space of the other PS and works just as well.

N5OFF Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Awesome supply!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best thing about this supply is that it is not made by MFJ. It is the same as the Jetstream JTPS31MB. I've had MFJ TNCs and the like and would never buy again but I tried this Jetstream made supply and I am blown aware by the performance. It is about 1/10th the weight of an equivalent linear supply. It is tiny. I run it on a Motorola Maratrac mobile that uses an honest 22 amps cont and this supply does not blink. The meter is switchable from volts to amps and the voltage pot has a detent for 13.8 volts. I've looked at it on my Winradio HF receiver and can't detect any RF hash. In summary, light weight, small, power-packed and no RF hash. Jetstream, err, MFJ, hit a home run!

KI4VLW Rating: 1/5 Jul 7, 2016 09:49 Send this review to a friend
A mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for a little over a year and now I have a hum with my transmissions using this power supply. This is my second problem with an MFJ piece of equipment and now I have learned my lesson, no more purchasing from MFJ. I am going to try to fix it myself and hopefully it's just a bad filter.

W1UFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had this a little over 3 months, and it works great. No noise on any of the HF or VHF/UHF equipment. It easily powers the TS-2000, IC-718, IC-706, and a few lamps which use 12v, etc. No issues whatsoever, and it's tiny with no practically no weight. A far cry from the large heavy ones. If it holds up over time, we'll be getting at least 1 for a spare. Amazing punch from such a small package. Good buy so far.

W5YZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Good small Power supply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a 25 amp PS with a peak 30 amp. Small compact and works great. Good price for having an amp and voltage meter. Mine is made in TAIWAN.

KM4QLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2016 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Quiet, tiny, powerful, and great voltage range.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got the MFJ-4230MVP version with the Powerpole connectors (otherwise identical to the MFJ-4230MV).

When first turned on, the fan spins up and then throttles down or off (it's silent to my ears). I've been using it on both a Kenwood TM-281A (65 watt RF out)and a Yaesu FT-2900R (75 watt RF out) and it has performed flawlessly. I can see no sign of RFI in the 2 meter band (when scanning with an SDR and a nearby antenna).

The wide output voltage range of 4-16VDC makes it suitable for for many single supply electronics projects.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Good PS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned one of these with the poles at rear and never had given me any bad isues, no harmonics in any band, no lack of regulation even at maximun load of 30A, been feeding a K3 with 100W, a DMR base radio with 45W and all shack accesories.
I think some guys has had bad luck with this PS, not me, in fact I am going to purchase one more.
I like how light and small it is.
For me its a good product from MFJ.

AD4C