Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4230MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4230MV
MFJ-4230MV Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 30 amp switching power supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4230MV .

N5OFF Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Awesome supply!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best thing about this supply is that it is not made by MFJ. It is the same as the Jetstream JTPS31MB. I've had MFJ TNCs and the like and would never buy again but I tried this Jetstream made supply and I am blown aware by the performance. It is about 1/10th the weight of an equivalent linear supply. It is tiny. I run it on a Motorola Maratrac mobile that uses an honest 22 amps cont and this supply does not blink. The meter is switchable from volts to amps and the voltage pot has a detent for 13.8 volts. I've looked at it on my Winradio HF receiver and can't detect any RF hash. In summary, light weight, small, power-packed and no RF hash. Jetstream, err, MFJ, hit a home run!

KI4VLW Rating: 1/5 Jul 7, 2016 09:49 Send this review to a friend
A mistake  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for a little over a year and now I have a hum with my transmissions using this power supply. This is my second problem with an MFJ piece of equipment and now I have learned my lesson, no more purchasing from MFJ. I am going to try to fix it myself and hopefully it's just a bad filter.

W1UFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had this a little over 3 months, and it works great. No noise on any of the HF or VHF/UHF equipment. It easily powers the TS-2000, IC-718, IC-706, and a few lamps which use 12v, etc. No issues whatsoever, and it's tiny with no practically no weight. A far cry from the large heavy ones. If it holds up over time, we'll be getting at least 1 for a spare. Amazing punch from such a small package. Good buy so far.

W5YZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Good small Power supply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a 25 amp PS with a peak 30 amp. Small compact and works great. Good price for having an amp and voltage meter. Mine is made in TAIWAN.

KM4QLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2016 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Quiet, tiny, powerful, and great voltage range.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got the MFJ-4230MVP version with the Powerpole connectors (otherwise identical to the MFJ-4230MV).

When first turned on, the fan spins up and then throttles down or off (it's silent to my ears). I've been using it on both a Kenwood TM-281A (65 watt RF out)and a Yaesu FT-2900R (75 watt RF out) and it has performed flawlessly. I can see no sign of RFI in the 2 meter band (when scanning with an SDR and a nearby antenna).

The wide output voltage range of 4-16VDC makes it suitable for for many single supply electronics projects.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 3 years, this supply has been 100%. It has never been turned off, & has never failed to work. I'm so happy with it, I will be getting another this weekend at the Orlando Hamfest. Jetstream, & QJE sell the same unit with their own name on it, & the unit is made by Nissei Electric. It's still amazing to me that a unit so small can deliver 30 amps. The best product MFJ sells, by far.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Good PS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned one of these with the poles at rear and never had given me any bad isues, no harmonics in any band, no lack of regulation even at maximun load of 30A, been feeding a K3 with 100W, a DMR base radio with 45W and all shack accesories.
I think some guys has had bad luck with this PS, not me, in fact I am going to purchase one more.
I like how light and small it is.
For me its a good product from MFJ.

AD4C

KD0SGX Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Great,Clean, Very Elegant Product. High CQ on this one!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the power-poles on the rear, this is the smallest best looking power supply with 30amp max. After testing for about 1 month running a Mirage B1018G amplifier on it. The fan does not even come on its about 20am draw. Don't hesitate to pick this up, its only 5"x6"x2.5". Also has nice amber led back-light. I know a lot of people just hate MFJ in general so will give poor reviews and its also possible that some may have CQ issues, but all manufactures will have that. For the Value this one can't be beat. Time will also tell, who knows how long it will last, but I could say that about everything.

N6YFM Rating: 1/5 Sep 29, 2015 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Crap Junk Q/A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once again, MFJ represents "great potential, not realized". Good small, light weight, nice feature set, even looks good. But as many others have complained, MFJ does NOT have a quality control department, at least not one that should be paid more than 50 cents a day.

The first year I had this supply, I only used it for accessories, about 2 to 4 amperes. I recently got my general ticket, and this week hooked it to a rig. The moment I hit the transmit button, boom, fault light, voltage sags under 10 volts. Push the meter switch to AMPS instead of VOLTS, and the fault light instantly comes on. Even without increasing the load.

I call MFJ today. 3 weeks past one year. Tough luck. And it will cost more than the $89 I paid for it to fix it; Approx $50 labor, plus $13 return shipping, plus $15 for me to ship it to them, plus any parts (no estimate). Mighty Fine Junk!

I was about to toss it in the trash. Figured maybe I could scrape some parts out of it first. So I tore it down. Amazing how over-complicated this thing is; 1 main board, 4 sub-boards, 5 potentiometers that adjust god knows what, 5 or 6 inductors/transformers. I actually had my wire cutters in my hand (to start salvaging parts) when I noticed an especially odd looking solder connection on the main board (there were actually dozens of what I would consider BAD solder connections, the kind that would have gotten me fired when I worked in the defense industry, but this one was "special/spectacular").

I got out my jewelers loop to inspect, and sure enough it was a full blown solder bridge shorting to an adjacent trace. I cleaned it all up and now it works. Tested the supply under load, and it works OK now. I had to clean up a lot of other solder joints.

In Summary, the solder mess on my unit was causing voltage sag under load and loss of regulation. It just as easily have been what others have reported; shorts or opens that caused extreme over-voltage, with failure of the over-voltage protection circuit, and damage to their radios.

If you feel you really must buy "Mighty Fine Junk", I urge you to fully test, load, short, etc,
the power supply BEFORE you connect any expensive equipment to it.

MFJ management has apparently "Raced to the Bottom
" in cutting costs. I see NO evidence of quality inspection or quality control. Buyer beware.

Shame on you MFJ!

ND4MR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 08:24 Send this review to a friend
a product endorsement  Time owned: more than 12 months
This small-size '4230 has both my HF rig and 2 meter rigs connected to it. Since there is never an occasion when both are transmitting at the same time there is no possibility that I'll exceed the rated current capacity. The '4230 barely gets warm when transmitting on the 100 watt SSB rig, and although the fan occasionally comes on when I'm transmitting the sound level of the PS fan is very low and hardly noticeable. Unlike a previous posting, I have not detected any RF noise generated by this PS.