Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4230MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4230MV
MFJ-4230MV Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: 30 amp switching power supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4230MV .

W5YZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Good small Power supply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a 25 amp PS with a peak 30 amp. Small compact and works great. Good price for having an amp and voltage meter. Mine is made in TAIWAN.

KM4QLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2016 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Quiet, tiny, powerful, and great voltage range.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got the MFJ-4230MVP version with the Powerpole connectors (otherwise identical to the MFJ-4230MV).

When first turned on, the fan spins up and then throttles down or off (it's silent to my ears). I've been using it on both a Kenwood TM-281A (65 watt RF out)and a Yaesu FT-2900R (75 watt RF out) and it has performed flawlessly. I can see no sign of RFI in the 2 meter band (when scanning with an SDR and a nearby antenna).

The wide output voltage range of 4-16VDC makes it suitable for for many single supply electronics projects.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 3 years, this supply has been 100%. It has never been turned off, & has never failed to work. I'm so happy with it, I will be getting another this weekend at the Orlando Hamfest. Jetstream, & QJE sell the same unit with their own name on it, & the unit is made by Nissei Electric. It's still amazing to me that a unit so small can deliver 30 amps. The best product MFJ sells, by far.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Good PS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned one of these with the poles at rear and never had given me any bad isues, no harmonics in any band, no lack of regulation even at maximun load of 30A, been feeding a K3 with 100W, a DMR base radio with 45W and all shack accesories.
I think some guys has had bad luck with this PS, not me, in fact I am going to purchase one more.
I like how light and small it is.
For me its a good product from MFJ.

AD4C

KD0SGX Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Great,Clean, Very Elegant Product. High CQ on this one!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the power-poles on the rear, this is the smallest best looking power supply with 30amp max. After testing for about 1 month running a Mirage B1018G amplifier on it. The fan does not even come on its about 20am draw. Don't hesitate to pick this up, its only 5"x6"x2.5". Also has nice amber led back-light. I know a lot of people just hate MFJ in general so will give poor reviews and its also possible that some may have CQ issues, but all manufactures will have that. For the Value this one can't be beat. Time will also tell, who knows how long it will last, but I could say that about everything.

N6YFM Rating: 1/5 Sep 29, 2015 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Crap Junk Q/A  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once again, MFJ represents "great potential, not realized". Good small, light weight, nice feature set, even looks good. But as many others have complained, MFJ does NOT have a quality control department, at least not one that should be paid more than 50 cents a day.

The first year I had this supply, I only used it for accessories, about 2 to 4 amperes. I recently got my general ticket, and this week hooked it to a rig. The moment I hit the transmit button, boom, fault light, voltage sags under 10 volts. Push the meter switch to AMPS instead of VOLTS, and the fault light instantly comes on. Even without increasing the load.

I call MFJ today. 3 weeks past one year. Tough luck. And it will cost more than the $89 I paid for it to fix it; Approx $50 labor, plus $13 return shipping, plus $15 for me to ship it to them, plus any parts (no estimate). Mighty Fine Junk!

I was about to toss it in the trash. Figured maybe I could scrape some parts out of it first. So I tore it down. Amazing how over-complicated this thing is; 1 main board, 4 sub-boards, 5 potentiometers that adjust god knows what, 5 or 6 inductors/transformers. I actually had my wire cutters in my hand (to start salvaging parts) when I noticed an especially odd looking solder connection on the main board (there were actually dozens of what I would consider BAD solder connections, the kind that would have gotten me fired when I worked in the defense industry, but this one was "special/spectacular").

I got out my jewelers loop to inspect, and sure enough it was a full blown solder bridge shorting to an adjacent trace. I cleaned it all up and now it works. Tested the supply under load, and it works OK now. I had to clean up a lot of other solder joints.

In Summary, the solder mess on my unit was causing voltage sag under load and loss of regulation. It just as easily have been what others have reported; shorts or opens that caused extreme over-voltage, with failure of the over-voltage protection circuit, and damage to their radios.

If you feel you really must buy "Mighty Fine Junk", I urge you to fully test, load, short, etc,
the power supply BEFORE you connect any expensive equipment to it.

MFJ management has apparently "Raced to the Bottom
" in cutting costs. I see NO evidence of quality inspection or quality control. Buyer beware.

Shame on you MFJ!

ND4MR Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2015 08:24 Send this review to a friend
a product endorsement  Time owned: more than 12 months
This small-size '4230 has both my HF rig and 2 meter rigs connected to it. Since there is never an occasion when both are transmitting at the same time there is no possibility that I'll exceed the rated current capacity. The '4230 barely gets warm when transmitting on the 100 watt SSB rig, and although the fan occasionally comes on when I'm transmitting the sound level of the PS fan is very low and hardly noticeable. Unlike a previous posting, I have not detected any RF noise generated by this PS.

W0RUS Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2015 01:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I just received my MFJ-4230MV today from the major outlet. Sad, I ordered the MVP model with the power poles but received the MV without. Oh well, I'll live with that. Hooked up the Rigrunner 4008 to the new supply and fired up the power supply. I have to laugh, MFJ claims there is a "Fan ON LED" but I have yet to find it. However the meter is lighted which is a nice surprise since that is not mentioned. Dialed around all the HF bands on my 746 and have not heard any hash yet. The supply is sitting a couple of inches beside the 746. I purchased this supply strictly due to another MFJ supply I have that the fan runs constantly and is rather loud, and I was wanting to quiet things down. The 4230MV is doing just that, little fan run-up when you first power up, then goes off till needed. Quality of the cabinet is good, knob and switch feel good and solid. Overall my first impressions are good. Now time will tell.

AH7I Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2014 17:15 Send this review to a friend
RFI on 80m and 160m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first "modern" SMPS for ham stuff.

MFJ-4230MVP

It's like the 4230MV but with power poles on the back.

1. Power poles were defective. Plastic warped..
MFJ kindly sent me some replacements so I would not be without a PS. Swap took about 10 min.

2. Noise. It blows. I just got my antenna back up for 80m and have been listening there and on 160.The MVP makes S5 to S7 RFI on 160m and 80m in a receiver that is not connected to it!

Heath HP-13 did not do this. FT101 built-in DC supply did not do this. My laptop, "pig in a python" supply makes a little noise but it has to be close to the antenna.

So, a rating of 2 "needs help" and I'll review again when it has had some help.

N8OX Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Big Surprises Come In Small Packages  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased a new Yaesu FT-857D from GigaParts. They had the MFJ-4230MVP on sale for $89 and since the radio was getting free shipping and based on the reviews here, I had one added to the order. It also prompted me to order some Anderson PowerPole terminals to take advantage of those connections (in the rear). I have been very pleased with the operation of this power supply. Small, quiet, efficient, and was purchased at a good price. My meter indicates very close to the voltage displayed on my digital voltmeter. Having an option to display voltage or amps is nice too. Binding posts on the front is also a plus. I have not observed any hash. You can get a bad apple from any orchard but this one seems to hit the mark for MFJ. I highly recommend this power supply. Lots to offer in a small package and very easy to transport if doing a little/lot of traveling. And those PowerPoles make connecting equipment a snap (yes, a pun was intended). I hope, if you try one of theses, you have the same luck with yours as I have had with mine.