Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | RadCom (RSGB) Help

Reviews Summary for RadCom (RSGB)
RadCom (RSGB) Reviews: 24 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Magazine for members of the Radio Society of Great Britain.
More info: http://www.rsgb.org

You can write your own review of the RadCom (RSGB).

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Entertaining, informative, always relevant   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've bee receiving different magazines since 1973, and I must admit, this has not only filled a gap that's been missing since the 1980s. I'll even go as far to say this has done more than fill a gap, but has replaced what was missing. That being technically accurate articles, realistic product reviews, and not an overwhelming amount of advertising. Truthfully, I actually enjoy reading the advertising sections in this magazine. Mainly because it gives a different perspective on similar products in USA magazines. Quality paper is used! They're definitely not so political either! Great job on a fine publication!

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2014 08:20 Send this review to a friend
CQ Solution?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Given the current situation at CQ, many amateurs have been left to seek an alternative for supplementing QST. Although costly for those of us in the colonies, RadCom, the RSGB publication, may provide the answer. It is extremely well edited with a nice combination of technical articles and reports on events. I have been a member of RSGB for the past five years and have really grown to look forward to my copy arriving in the mail. It is published in a timely manner and responses to inquiries spot on. Recently, after spending much of the past month in the hospital and addressing medical issues, I arrived home to find the envelope in which the July issue was mailed, but no magazine enclosed. I sent an e-mail to them and got an immediate reply from Elaine Richards, the editor, stating that she was personally sending me a copy. Indeed, in about a week I found the issue in the mail. The technical articles are quite good and a joy to read. Peter Dodd's monthly articles on antennas are excellent. Granted, as others have noted, it misses Pat Hawker's "Technical Topics" column now that he has retired; however, collections of his former articles are available in volumes published by the RSGB. That and other RSGB publications can also be purchased at a discount for members and the postage is reasonable. The IOTA column is also a great read. Since IOTA is an RSGB award, it is the ideal place to keep abreast of it. For those who wish to give RadCom a try, it may provide a respite (albeit a bit expensive) from the current problems at CQ, at least until the latter hopefully sorts out its problems.

Vy 73 to all,
de Dick, K8RBW

WN5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2012 19:56 Send this review to a friend
More in depth technical articles than the Rest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About a week after joining, I received a folder with lots of information, pamphlets, booklets, etc via first class mail. And included was the latest issue of Radcom. So after joining in about a week you can start enjoying most of the benefits! Except...(the best part) immediately after joining you can log into their website and raed the last twelve months of Radcom! So the benefits are immediate, the technical content is more indepth and A discount on all RSGB materials. In fact it's often cheaper to buy an Arrl publication with the member discount and pay the overseas shipping than to buy it from the ARRL at full price and their current $11.50 S&H! And my way of thinking that British stuff is just downright cool!

Also, Eamon Skelton who writes the "Homebrew " column just finished up a 14 part series on building an HF transceiver. each of the articels ran 6 to 8 pages and were very detailed...making it snap to build a very good HF transceiver.

WN5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2012 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Radcom is great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even though an RSGB membership is a little pricey...the cost of one and a half steak dinners for two...it is very enjoyable.
The technical content is in some ways better than QST. For instance Eamon Skelton is running a very comprehensive series of articles on building a SSB transceiver with more detail and techniques than I've evr seen in QST!
Upon joining the new member immediately receives a membership number. With the member number it's possible to access the last twelve months of Radcom (Their equivalent of QST that is a beautiful magazine BTW) and begin reading the latest issue ina magazine reader.
Another benefit is members receive a discount on publications from the RSGB. The shipping is only 3 pounds. (about $4.50 or so) thats way less than the standard $10.50 shipping from the ARRL. (Please don't take that as ARRL bashing though!)
And one of the last benefits is our friends in the UK are some nice guys to deal with. Whenever I call them, it's a pleasure to deal with them!...not like one ham dealer in texas that sell towers! (Yes, I'm bashing them!)

Try it you'll like it if you're a homebrewer or a techie! In spite of others claiming it's been dumb-downed it has some articles with some meat to them! However I do think that both the ARRL and the RSGB have realized that many of us still like to do technical activities...good for them. several years ago QST had almost no schematics or articles on RF and radio homebrew and design. Both of these magazines have gotten better in the last couple years. I've even heard that CQ magazine is planning on running a technical article every third issue! Holy cow when the most technically and creativelly bankrupt ham publication is going to run a technical article every third issue things must be changing for the better!

I'll forever miss Ham Radio magazine and Jim Fisk W1HR (He was the best!)

F6GYY Rating: 1/5 Nov 24, 2011 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Never again  Time owned: more than 12 months

Had the Radcom magazine for mot than a year.
Very short articles and a lot of advertising over pages.. Just horrible. Advertising of all colors
in there, looks terrible, a real kitch.

The German Funkamateur is generous, technical articles are over several pages and advertising comes mostly at the end of the magazine..

EI4GMB Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2011 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Reliable RadCom  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have recently renewed my membership with the RSGB.
I find the magazine Radcom to be an excellent read and I look forward to it's prompt and reliable delivery each month.
When I first joined the RSGB I received a very well produced and professionally presented membership pack which contained many free items.
I have had much correspondence with the RSGB over the past year and all of my queries have been answered promptly and with great courtesy. I think the staff at RSGB HQ are a credit to the society. I am very proud to be a member of the RSGB and look forward to future issues of RadCom, the distinguished journal of this highly esteemed organisation.

N1KDO Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2010 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Expensive in the US but worth it for fanatical hams  Time owned: more than 12 months
RadCom (or more accurately, a RSGB membership) is expensive here in the US, at about $75 US. Turns out to about $6/issue.

I find that a good value. But perhaps I am a bit of a fanatic for this hobby. I've been a member/subscriber for over 5 years, and I will continue to be for the forseeable future.

The magazine is interesting, and the quality of the technical articles is good.

It is interesting to see viewpoints from a different perspective, and it makes me appreciate more being an American ham, with our (mostly) more permissive operations, more bands, etc. And it also makes me appreciate living in the USA, where a 1-acre lot (where **some** antennas can be erected) is accessible to the average working man.

I like RadCom.

G8UBJ Rating: 3/5 Mar 16, 2009 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it unless you have a UK License  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reasonable if you use the other RSGB benefits like the QSL bureau but not worth getting unless you have a UK License.

GM0ONX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Two thumbs up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still the best Amateur Radio read in the UK

W1ITT Rating: 3/5 Jul 3, 2008 07:04 Send this review to a friend
mailing is a problem...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best part of RadCom was G3VA's Technical Topics column. Most any of the "topics" could have been milked into a full length article, but Hawker had the skill and wit to condense them to the necessities. I ordered the 50-year Compendium directly from the UK before it was available in the States via ARRL. The book suffered the same fate as many of the magazine issues over the years and had troubles making it across the ocean. After a couple months, an email to RSGB turned up that my order had been "mislaid" and would be resent. I'm still waiting! G3VA's 50 year effort is an epic achievement. I'd like to sit down and buy him a pint or three of Strongbow, as I'm sure he has a bit more to tell. I'm not sure what'll happen to RadCom without him.