Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | RadCom (RSGB) Help

Reviews Summary for RadCom (RSGB)
RadCom (RSGB) Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $51 GBP / year
Description: Magazine for members of the Radio Society of Great Britain.
More info: http://www.rsgb.org

You can write your own review of the RadCom (RSGB).

G8UBJ Rating: 3/5 Mar 16, 2009 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it unless you have a UK License  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reasonable if you use the other RSGB benefits like the QSL bureau but not worth getting unless you have a UK License.

GM0ONX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Two thumbs up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still the best Amateur Radio read in the UK

W1ITT Rating: 3/5 Jul 3, 2008 07:04 Send this review to a friend
mailing is a problem...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best part of RadCom was G3VA's Technical Topics column. Most any of the "topics" could have been milked into a full length article, but Hawker had the skill and wit to condense them to the necessities. I ordered the 50-year Compendium directly from the UK before it was available in the States via ARRL. The book suffered the same fate as many of the magazine issues over the years and had troubles making it across the ocean. After a couple months, an email to RSGB turned up that my order had been "mislaid" and would be resent. I'm still waiting! G3VA's 50 year effort is an epic achievement. I'd like to sit down and buy him a pint or three of Strongbow, as I'm sure he has a bit more to tell. I'm not sure what'll happen to RadCom without him.

W5XE Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2008 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Lost a lot of quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first bought a copy of the RSGB Bulletin at
the Caledonian train station news stand in
Edinburgh in 1960. I eventually became a member
and got the Bull and the other named publications
as it changed names and direction over the years.
Pat Hawker was writing his Technical Topics and
I recall had a change of calls in the 1960 period
from G3NVA to G3VA. I finally had to let my
membership and RadCom go recently due to fixed
income and the quality of the publication.
For me, here in the colonies, the cost is not
worth what one is getting, and I might add that
it is keeping up with the QST and ARRL in that
regard. Shortwave Magazine and SPRAT are more
in keeping with the amateur interests.

TANAKASAN Rating: 2/5 May 4, 2008 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Now Not So Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
For years I was an RSGB member and every month as my RadCom arrived the first thing I turned to was Technical Topics. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one doing this!

Now Pat Hawker has retired after fifty years of writing the column, and the RSGB in their infinite wisdom have decided to kill it rather than find someone else to write it. This is a really REALLY bad move.

I have cancelled my RSGB membership and no longer receive RadCom.

Tanakasan

P.S I wish Pat Hawker good luck in his retirement and thank him for a job well done.

VA7AAX Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2007 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice read  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have read RadCom from time to time and it's the same. It is a nice balance of technical articles(Tech-Scrapbook,Homebrew,) along with the operating and reviews.A little heavy with ads but that's OK.

VR2AX Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2007 07:02 Send this review to a friend
An Improved Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Definitely a better journal in recent years. I have even begun to miss the odd copies that have been mislaid in the post. Maybe a bit too UK-centric. Otherwise on recent content it would have been a 5.

MW0KIK Rating: 1/5 May 4, 2006 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ended my RSGB memebership and joined the ARRL mainly for the higher quality of its periodical. True QST still has lots of ads..... but the content is much, much better.

G1NCZ Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2006 12:29 Send this review to a friend
very poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not worth the paper that its written on, full of adverts and practically no technical articles(technical topics excepted). Definately gone down hill over the past few years. Its probably alright it you need a credit card or want to buy some house insurance.

SMHAM Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2006 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Too expensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is way too expensive due to the strong GBP. I used to be a subscriber in the past but not any longer. I have to pay more for it than a membership in the national IARU organization, SSA (the ARRL of Sweden). That doesn't make sense. Sorry, since it is a very good publication although I think Funkamateur is better.