Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Apache ANAN-100D HF + 6M 100W ALL MODE SDR TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for Apache ANAN-100D HF + 6M 100W ALL MODE SDR TRANSCEIVER
Apache ANAN-100D HF + 6M 100W ALL MODE SDR TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $3489
Description: The Heart of the ANAN-100D is the Angelia SDR:
100W RD100HHF1 Based 160M - 6M rugged Linear amplifier
Rugged Extruded aluminium housing, Weight: 4.5Kgs approx,
Dimensions: 265.5mm (W) x 220mm (D) x 80mm (H)
Combination of 7 LPF and 5 HPF Banks for front end Filtering
(User Configurable as well)
6M LNA
Dual Phase Synchronous LTC2208 16 Bit ADCs
Large 115K (EP4CE115) Cyclone IV FPGA
Supports 7 High performance Independent Receivers on a
single ADC
Supports 2 Coherent Receivers using independent
ADCs/antennas for beam forming/diversity
FPGA has enough space to add on multiple soft core
processors for standalone operation
Onboard 128MB Flash
Onboard 32Mbit Synchronous RAM
ANGELIA is a state-of-the-art soft core uP 4th generation
DDC/DUC, Hermes-like, transceiver
board that incorporates an Altera Cyclone IV FPGA and dual
LTC2208 ADCs. The large FPGA and
dual ADCs permit exceptional versatility and performance.
The FPGA is large enough to allow
on-board, soft-core processing, if desired, and the dual
ADCs allow true coherent receiver
operations.
More info: http://https://apache-labs.com/al-products/1027/ANAN-100D-HF---6M-100W-ALL-MODE-SDR-TRANSCEIVER.html

You can write your own review of the Apache ANAN-100D HF + 6M 100W ALL MODE SDR TRANSCEIVER.

N1EU Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2014 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Super rig, a few wrinkles  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Others have already written of the many virtues of the ANAN-100D. It really is a marvelous radio with the latest version of OpenHPSDR PowerSDR software. There are a few wrinkles I found that will probably only be of concern to demanding contesters/dx'ers:

1. Latency of 100-200msec for cw receive, ssb receive, and ssb transmit. This means you can't monitor your ssb signal while you transmit and it means your signal will arrive slightly late in a pileup.

2. VFO freq bugs when operating in diversity mode, especially split diversity. Logging software and DDUtil seem to get wrong data for vfoA and vfoB frequencies when operating with both receivers active and sync'd, especially with transmitter on a split/offset frequency.

If these issues are not a major concern for you, the ANAN-100D should provide a fantastic operating experience. Initial setup with a PC (networking) can be a challenge but users on the Apache Yahoo Group should be able to assist if you are less computer savvy.

The clarity of the DDC receiver, especially on crowded bands, is amazing. The rx and tx audio quality is exceptional.

VK1MAT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 20:34 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful top end transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with other reviews on the ANAN-100D.

I am a first time SDR user. And I jumped head first into it. I used to consider SDR's toys, but the ANAN is not a toy, anything but.

I wanted a radio I could grow in to, and that would evolve with me. Frequent Firmware and PowerSDR updates are like getting a new radio again. The anticipation of new features that will improve the radio further is exciting.

I am pretty savvy with computers and software, and was on the air within 30mins of it coming out of the box.

On air reports are "excellent". And the signal is tight (no spurs) reported.

I have already packed up the old radios, I'm afraid they will only see the light of day again when they go out for field days or are sold.

I am very happy with the ANAN-100D and I suspect other VK1 operators will soon follow suit.

Well done Apache Labs and the software development team.

G7CNF Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Simply THE best of the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Given there are so many of these radios in circulation, I find it a little odd to see so few reviews. It is said that no news is good news and from my observations on eHam, people are quick to bring their negative opinions to bear (I include myself in that sweeping generalisation).

I have tended to be an early adopter of mid-range or above radios. These include the ProIII, FT-2000, Flex-5000 RX2, IC-7600; indeed I seem to have got through a shocking number of radios whilst trying to find THE one. I laughed my socks off with the ProIII (good) cried my eyes out at the FT-2000 (worst radio ever) was chuffed with the IC-7600 but got tired of it quickly and thought for a while that the Flex-5000 was THE one, despite its numerous foibles.

The Apache Labs ANAN series radios (10, 100, 100D) are commercial manifestations of open source hardware; designed by some of the best minds in amateur radio - in their own time, for the sheer love of the hobby - and the sheer challenge of making something new and exciting. No-one was paid to design these radios and I believe this manifests in the superb performance we now observe.

Setting aside the PA, the radios are either HPSDR Hermes (Anan-10, Anan-100) and HPSDR Angelia (an-jel-ee-a; Anan-100D). DDC/DUC architecture, they sample 0 - 60 MHz directly into an A/D and the rest is accomplished in software (shocking oversimplification). Blocking and dynamic range are stunning, the lack of any mixers makes for an ultra-clean RX and low phase noise offers those amateurs with an exceptionally low noise floor QTH to benefit from very good sensitivity unsullied by DDS spurs or phase noise.

The heart of the beast, PowerSDR mRX PS is not the PowerSDR of FlexRadio ilk; it may look the same and continues to share some code; primarily the GUI but that's where the similarity ends. The DSP engine has been completely replaced by a much superior dsp written by Dr Warren Pratt NR0V and pales the old FlexRadio PowerSDR with completely new algorithms for NR, NB, ANF, AGC and more besides; adjustable FFT-bin width, steeper filters to name just two.

Then there's PureSignal. What's that? It means that these radios (particularly the 100 & 200D) are capable of TX IMD well beyond anything possible with ANY current generation amateur radio grade transceiver, including class A TX. Moreover this adaptive pre-distortion doesn't JUST include the radio but can include YOUR ENTIRE TX chain, including your legal limit PA (or more ;-). As far as I know this is unique the Anan. On-air full (US) legal limit IMDs of better than 50dB have been recorded. I've put a demo on YouTube of barefoot PureSignal operation showing the effect pre-distortion will have on your ham radio band neighbours - and it is not to be sneezed at.

Then there's Diversity (100D/200D). I used to think that the Flex-5000 RX2's diversity was good but like most other aspects the Anans are like Flexes on steroids. With a little careful tweaking some truly astounding results can be had, particularly in interference mitigation (with the right second antenna). At least I call the complete removal of a local S9+20 interferer astounding, you might have other ideas?

These radios (the 10, 100, 100D, 200D all have identical RX performance, the 100D/200D have a second ADC for twice as many receivers) and this performance meets or exceeds that of FlexRadio's latest flagship, the 6000 series. Two of my more well-off friends have both and have not been able to distinguish them for me.

Now the disclaiimer!
These radios (10/100/100D) will not be for everyone. The architecture was aimed at experimenters whom were comfortable with removing panels and swapping hardware jumpers, solving network and PC performance issues.) Since hitting the "mainstream" I have seen numerous "non-technical" hams brought to their knees whilst trying to solve aspects of system (radio and/or PC) performance. If you are not PC literate then thick-client SDR is not really the best route for you to take and if you don't like poking around the PCB then the 10/100/100D will likewise not suit you the best. That said, swapping a hardware jumper is hardly technical. . . The new 200D solves that by bringing those remaining hardware 'jumpers' out to software.

Then there is the business model. This has caused quite some consternation to some who automatically think that if they buy a radio they are entitled to unbridled technical support. It is made clear from the terms at the start - with an Anan you are buying a piece of hardware. The best parallel I can offer is that you are buying a PC with no operating system. When you put your Windoze Uber on your shiny new PC and get an application repeatedly have an unrecoverable error, is the company that assembled the PC responsible? No it is not. Apache Labs have gone above and beyond the call of duty for several hardware issues I've observed on the reflectors and are to be commended. Equally they should not be held accountable for you or your PC's deficiencies - and you might be surprised how many there could be!

If however you want cutting edge SDR, superb and (improving) receiver performance, world-leading TX IMD, a chance to implement your own improvements, rather than pleading for them - and earnestly hoping they be implemented at some random point in the future, to be a part of an amateur-radio driven (not profit driven) development architecture which chooses to implement a feature because it IS hard, not because it makes commercial sense, then the Anans may, I said MAY be for you. When I purchased my 100D I had no idea that a few months later it would have pre-distortion and the notion that new and exciting features, some still not even thought of yet, are to come, keeps this radio fresh and exciting for me. At the time of writing there's a nice surprise just around the corner for CW ops, too.

Are the Anans perfect? No, of course not, no radio is (Sorry K3 owners but it is true) but the Anan-100D ticks all the right boxes for me after 9 months of ownership and daily use on just about every mode conceivable. Heck I liked it so much I bought the company (not really but I did go and buy an Anan-10 a short time later and ditched another legacy radio in the process).

I have no commercial or personal interests in Apache Labs.

W7YP Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Best Transceiver I've ever owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I first started using SDR radios beginning with FlexRadio's SDR-1000. While it was fun experimenting with that radio, it's parallel port interface and dependence upon a high quality sound card in a PC, made it difficult to defend against RFI. I later moved to the Flex-5000A with dual receivers. That radio used Firewire for its PC interface and was far more robust than the SDR-1000. It was and still is a pleasure to use. Looking to upgrade yet again, this time to a direct-conversion SDR radio, I struggled between Flex's new 6000 series and the ANAN-100D from India. Looking at the specs for the two radios, I just couldn't justify FlexRadio's high price and chose to take a chance on the ANAN-100D.

I am SO glad that I did. This radio is a top performer and handily beats every other radio I've owned. Even Icom's 7800, while stunning to look at, can't keep up with the ANAN-100D.

The version of PowerSDR software that supports this radio has been rock-solid, with updates with new features coming more frequently than was the case with the Flex-5000A. Soon, we'll have a version of cuSDR which supports transmit as well as receive and will have the ability to use multiple virtual transceivers.

This radio proved to be truly plug-and-play. I installed the PowerSDR software on my PC, connected the radio to an antenna, my LAN and a power supply, and the software immediately found the radio over my gigabit LAN.

If you want the absolute best SDR radio out there for the price, this is the one to buy.

TF3ARI Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Best transceiver I owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First I notice when I got my Anan100D was heavy duty box, it feels like Motorola not like something from India.
Next was installation,I connect the 12V DC + lan cable and that it, no funny play with firewire.
Next I notice the PowerSDR (OpenHPSDR mTX) is rock stable on my windows 8.1.
Well to compare to my old Flex 5000 with 2 receiver then Anand have far better sensitivity on 12M,10M and 6M over 15db+ software is much better and stable.
The Diversity really works, could newer see it work on my Flex. I get always 10 point for my modulation and no RF problems.
well positive list is so long ......, only negative parts I find is the lan-port, would like to see it at back of the radio.
Radio run cold and 100% silence.
ps I have YAESY VL 1000 Quatra amplifier and my Anan100d send bandata and TX line without any problem to my amplifier and run him like Yaesu transceiver. The sensitivity and extremely good on all band include 10m and 6m.
Well I did not expect this from India , Well done Apache !!!