Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng GT-3 Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng GT-3
BaoFeng GT-3 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $65
Description: This is the 2014 latest Baofeng two way radio with fashionable and human-oriented features. Small and lightweight, it is small enough to fit in a pants pocket. Upgraded frame material and black&orange color matching make it more endurable and give it a more fashionable appearance. Multi-Language manual is available, including English, German and French. Moreover, it comes with a user-friendly user manual for bringing fabulous user experience. It's the best choice for gifts and self-consumption.
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/ProShowcn.asp?ID=230

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng GT-3.

W8STU Rating: 2/5 Jun 9, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
POOR   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREETINGS,

I BOUGHT THIS HT FROM RADIODDITTY.COM. THE FIRST ONE WAS DEAD IN ONE DAY. RADIODITTY SAID THEY WOULD SEND OUT A NEWER VERSION GT-3 MARK II. I RECEIVED ANOTHER GT-3. NOT HAPPY. THE ANTENNA WOULD NOT EVEN SCREW ON. I HAD TO TRIM SOME OF THE PLASTIC AROUND THE ANTENNA PORT FOR THE ANTENNA TO SCREW IN. POOR QUALITY CONTROL. I WILL GIVE A PERFORMANCE REVIEW AFTER I HAVE THE HT FOR AWHILE. SO FAR I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE HT.

W8STU Rating: 0/5 Jun 6, 2014 09:32 Send this review to a friend
DEAD AFTER 1 DAY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREETINGS,

I BOUGHT MINE FROM RADIODDITY. WHEN I GOT THE GT-3 I WAS IMPRESSED. NICE FIT IN THE HAND AND GREAT AUDIO. IT WORKED GREAT FOR ONE DAY. THE NEXT I WENT TO USE IT AND THERE WAS NO TRANSMIT OR RECEIVE. IT TURNED ON, BUT THAT WAS IT. I CALLED RADIODDITTY AND THEY AVISED THE WOULD SEND ME A REPLACEMENT OR A REFUND. I CHOSE TO GET A REPLACEMENT. RADIODDITTY ADVISED THEY WOULD REPLACE THE GT-3 WITH A GT-3 MARK II. LETS SEE IF THIS NEW HT WORKS.

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2014 23:15 Send this review to a friend
BaoFeng GT-3 Mark II  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was told that the G-3 is upgraded into Mark II function. And I found on http://goo.gl/egx5gm
I purchased one and its transmitting range is improved. Pretty good.

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Great UV-82 equivalent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My honest assessment would rate this little gem at about 4.7. From what I could tell, the GT-3 performs (sensitivity, audio, image rejection, receive distance, noise filtering) nearly the same as the UV-82 (including the UV-82L and so-called UV-89, all of which I own), which is to say, terrific for an HT. Its performance is a tiny bit inferior to the Yaesu FT-60R, but much less expensive and contains many more (and less) features.

It takes a little getting used to the reverse LCD screen and large volume button, but no big deal. Its exterior seems a bit more durable than the UV-82 and UV-B6, much more so than the UV-5RA, and a little less rugged than the Yaesu FT-60R. It feels good in the hand, like the UV-82. Too bad the zero button, like the UV-5RA, is in the wrong place.

At the moment the price ($55 for me) of the GT-3 is a little high compared with the equivalent UV-82 ($37 for me), but I just had to try and see for myself.

N2HUN Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 14:04 Send this review to a friend
What's not to like?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a ham for over 37 years it's unbelievable that for $69.95 you can get a dual band programmable radio with all accessories and a programming cable. My first 2 meter radio was a 12 channel crystal-controlled rig that cost over $150.00 (with only two crystals, you had to purchase the rest)!

After watching a few YouTube videos on how to program I now have about 100 channels in memory using Chirps software (thank you to those folks). Aesthetically I like the two tone yellow/black, a nice change from all those dull same old colors.
Like the fact that you can even program in NOAA weather frequencies. Keyed up many repeaters with the stock antenna. Having nice QSO's on 2m with this radio. Like the voice that is activated when you press the buttons. Very pleasing ergonomic design. For the price you get everything you need to get on 146/440. This is truly a great age to live in hi hi!

KK4TBJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2014 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Near Greatness  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
User of UV-82L and previous UV-5R Plus model. The GT-3 strengths: diminutive size, somewhat weather-resistant exterior, improvements on the inside(as reported)
Weaknesses: volume control knob (I don't like the faux chrome finish), the non-traditional LCD display(reversed), stock antenna(that's a given!)

In use and compared side by side with UV82L(the current BaoFeng flagship dual band model), even with the 'meh' antenna, reception is essentially the same. The audio is almost the equal of the UV82L being pretty powerful for its size. Can't speak to equivalence regarding transmission, however, when paired with my Diamond dual band mobile antenna, was hitting repeater machines at distances at/exceeding 30 miles as the crow flies.

For me, a relative novice, the BaoFeng GT-3 is overpriced when considered alongside the UV-82L, which as of this writing is selling for about $45($60 on average for GT-3). Whether that price difference reflects where it is in the product's life cycle, its reported limited run, or, the cost of product development with another manufacturer, it lacks the value of the UV-82L while nonetheless still being a remarkable value when compared to similar models offered by other manufacturers.
I could live with its niggles but am likely to re-sell(after a week's usage) to get an HT that offers something beyond what I get from the UV-82L.
Opinions vary, that's mine. KK4TBJ 73s to all!

K2DYH Rating: 2/5 Feb 8, 2014 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Not that great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have both a UV-5R+ and the new GT-3.
The UV-5R+ was great. The GT-3 was a big disappointment.
In standby the LCD has a black background with gray numbers which is very hard to read.
You cannot change the active display colors it only has a purple color even though it's in the menu.
The battery is very hard to remove unless you do a little shaving.
I wound up sending it back and ordered a new UV-5R+.

7X4RJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2014 02:03 Send this review to a friend
nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I have had this radio for about one month now. i like both the outside looks good and the new micro-chips.
One thing I would recommend is getting a higher gain antenna, rather than use the original stock antenna.
Baofeng has not provided downloadable software to program the radio through their USA website. So i have to download it from miklor, also radioddity.
The radio menu is easy to navigate. Similar to the Baofeng UV-5R & UV-82. The radio's audio voice is a pleasant sounding American female voice.
Not the previous Chinese accented English female sounding voice.
The screen is LCD - but is reversed, with a black background and light lettering, which make it easier to see in bright light, or at night.
My hope is that Baofeng will continue to improve their radio line, and offer more radios to compete with the Japanese radios,
perhaps offering other frequencies, or multiple frequencies, (other bands). They are definitely on the right track. Please Note: "This is not a old radio with a new face." Get one and see for yourself. For around $60 dollars, it is worth your consideration.

EM75V Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2014 02:33 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Radio does what it was design to do, low cost and great value.
It was easy to program using the same program cable that I used for my UV-5ra and UV-82L and the latest chirp program.
The yellow colors around the key pad makes the keys very readable.
I did like that the radio would dim down the lcd display if you had it in scan mode and would become fully bright when you received a incoming signal.
It's a cute, stout little upgrade, certainly the performance improvement makes it worth the extra money IF you live in an area with a ton of intermod.
It is nowhere near as good as a traditional superhet radio like the TYT TH-UVF1, but then it is also a third the price

VE3NMM Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not only is it improved by looks but the chips inside are also better than my UV5RA+. The light is better and it is tougher as well...
The programming went well and the battery lasts longer too.

I am very happy with it and i would recommend getting it from the great people at Radioditty