Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng/Pofung GT-3 Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng/Pofung GT-3
BaoFeng/Pofung GT-3 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $65
Description: This is the 2014 latest Baofeng two way radio with fashionable and human-oriented features. Small and lightweight, it is small enough to fit in a pants pocket. Upgraded frame material and black&orange color matching make it more endurable and give it a more fashionable appearance. Multi-Language manual is available, including English, German and French. Moreover, it comes with a user-friendly user manual for bringing fabulous user experience. It's the best choice for gifts and self-consumption.
More info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/ProShowcn.asp?ID=230

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng/Pofung GT-3.

W3SCA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the GT-3 as a backup to my Yaesu VX-8R. I dont think you can go wrong with this price.

The included CD was useless since it was in Chinese and didnt even have the required program for the GT-3. I couldnt get the USB cable to find the radio and realized that the drivers were probably not right. After some research I found out this was the case. So if you want a driver that will actually install and allow the GT-3 to talk to your computer, download the Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver here: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

I cant make any comparisons to prior "cheap" radios as I said I would never own one of these, but for the $$ it is a nice little radio to have. Also CHIRP does not have a listing for the GT-3 you have to select another radio that is grouped with the GT-3 for it to work properly.

For new HAMS looking for their first HT on a very limited budget, the GT-3 would probably be a good choice.

PA8C Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2016 08:13 Send this review to a friend
0$ HT after firmware trouble  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After paying the now closed Sainstore.de shop through Paypal in october 2015 i received the HT after 4weeks in the mail from Kuala Lumpur. Everything ordered was packed so no problems there. After unpacking, charging the battery and installing the antenna it appeared to be working, at least i could receive signals with good audio. I then tried to program the unit and that's where the trouble started. After pressing the menu button and switch to any menu the speaker audio is muted while the green LED remains lit. Audio from the speaker can only be regained by switching the unit off and on again. This is a confirmed firmware fault that should have been resolved according the selling date. I made contact with their service desk and reported the problem. Their answer was "we haven't heard of this before" while i have found proof of several similair cases on forums and Youtube. After a month of intense correspondense with them it became silent. They didn't answer my e-mails anymore and i found out that their website was closed in November 2015. I have investigated the firmware problem and it appears that when "Beep" remains switched On the HT seems to work reasonably OK. To cut a long story short, i have started a Paypal dispute and after two weeks i received my money back in my paypal account. So therefor the title of this review.

73, Stan/PA8C

KE5LZL Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2015 15:20 Send this review to a friend
patience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this on 6-8-2015
I've had the older Baofengs and TYT,,
I prefer the TYT... due to the Alpha Numeric.
I don't use the FM Radio...
I like the style on this particular unit .. and it will do the job if your within reach of repeater..and is okay for basic use ...due to not being water proof.
Hooking to an external antenna... though I prefer my yaesu handheld and Wouxun...
AE5VM

KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio / Great Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have found no negative issues with my GT-3.
Comparable reception to my other portables.
Comparable transmit to my other portables.
Better battery life than my other portables.
Look great.
Feels great.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2015 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Another one that does the job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
$40 dollar (or whatever I paid) dual band that works and so far works well, for what it is. I wasn't expecting stellar features nor performance. But it delivers well for my needs. I hardly ever use bands above 10m. Plus it is still running on it's charge from 6+ months ago which is surprising, but again I hardly turn it on. My former HTs (Kenwood TH-79 & Standard C528) would lose their charge after sitting for a few months. Neither the GT-3 nor the UV-82 I also own have lost their charge from months of sitting. If you need something cheap to grab on occasion, buy one. Plus if you damage or lose it, you won't lose sleep over the cost.

NINO Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2014 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice but with issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The radio appears well made and sturdy. The bright color makes it easy to see. On the other side, my first unit would go from ham to fm radio when it wanted to. Second one worked well. The case they give was not usable for me. The worst aspect in my opinion is the screen. The black background (unchangeable) is really hard on the eyes, and changing the letter colors does nothing and is hardly noticeable. That said, I still like the unit.

W8STU Rating: 2/5 Jun 9, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
POOR   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREETINGS,

I BOUGHT THIS HT FROM RADIODDITTY.COM. THE FIRST ONE WAS DEAD IN ONE DAY. RADIODITTY SAID THEY WOULD SEND OUT A NEWER VERSION GT-3 MARK II. I RECEIVED ANOTHER GT-3. NOT HAPPY. THE ANTENNA WOULD NOT EVEN SCREW ON. I HAD TO TRIM SOME OF THE PLASTIC AROUND THE ANTENNA PORT FOR THE ANTENNA TO SCREW IN. POOR QUALITY CONTROL. I WILL GIVE A PERFORMANCE REVIEW AFTER I HAVE THE HT FOR AWHILE. SO FAR I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THE HT.

W8STU Rating: 0/5 Jun 6, 2014 09:32 Send this review to a friend
DEAD AFTER 1 DAY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREETINGS,

I BOUGHT MINE FROM RADIODDITY. WHEN I GOT THE GT-3 I WAS IMPRESSED. NICE FIT IN THE HAND AND GREAT AUDIO. IT WORKED GREAT FOR ONE DAY. THE NEXT I WENT TO USE IT AND THERE WAS NO TRANSMIT OR RECEIVE. IT TURNED ON, BUT THAT WAS IT. I CALLED RADIODDITTY AND THEY AVISED THE WOULD SEND ME A REPLACEMENT OR A REFUND. I CHOSE TO GET A REPLACEMENT. RADIODDITTY ADVISED THEY WOULD REPLACE THE GT-3 WITH A GT-3 MARK II. LETS SEE IF THIS NEW HT WORKS.

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2014 23:15 Send this review to a friend
BaoFeng GT-3 Mark II  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was told that the G-3 is upgraded into Mark II function. And I found on http://goo.gl/egx5gm
I purchased one and its transmitting range is improved. Pretty good.

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Great UV-82 equivalent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My honest assessment would rate this little gem at about 4.7. From what I could tell, the GT-3 performs (sensitivity, audio, image rejection, receive distance, noise filtering) nearly the same as the UV-82 (including the UV-82L and so-called UV-89, all of which I own), which is to say, terrific for an HT. Its performance is a tiny bit inferior to the Yaesu FT-60R, but much less expensive and contains many more (and less) features.

It takes a little getting used to the reverse LCD screen and large volume button, but no big deal. Its exterior seems a bit more durable than the UV-82 and UV-B6, much more so than the UV-5RA, and a little less rugged than the Yaesu FT-60R. It feels good in the hand, like the UV-82. Too bad the zero button, like the UV-5RA, is in the wrong place.

At the moment the price ($55 for me) of the GT-3 is a little high compared with the equivalent UV-82 ($37 for me), but I just had to try and see for myself.