Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel BevPro-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Pixel BevPro-1
Pixel BevPro-1 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Pixel BevPro-1 is a reversible Beverage antenna made entirely from RG-6 coaxial cable with unique features like:
Ability to feed it from ANY point along its length and the ability to adjust end point terminations from the shack.
More info: http://www.pixelsatradio.com/uploads/BevPro-1-Information-for-Web-site1.pdf

You can write your own review of the Pixel BevPro-1.

AC4G Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Its a Keeper  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used classic wire Beverage antennas for low band DXing. I always wanted to be able to switch directions at an affordable cost, but most commercial vendors require this, that, and other things to get them to perform.

Last Fall (2013) right after speaking to the Pixel representative at the 2013 Huntsville Hamfest and after talking to the Team Leader of the Mozambique C82DX DXPedition, I had made up my mind to purchase a Bev-Pro-1 system due to its performance on the books and its ability to switch directions.

I was sold on the hype, so I bought one Bev-Pro-1 system and configured at my QTH (location) in the NE-SW directions. Its performance was as good as my classic uni-directional beverage, but the Bev-Pro-1 provided me bi-directional switching at a reasonable price. It was so convenient and worked so good that I bought another Bev-Pro-1 system and configured if NW-SE directions. Wow, I was able to work so much DX on 160m and 80m into Europe. It was amazing even to bag the 2014 Granddaddy DXpedition in January/February 2014, FT5ZM on 160, 80m,40m using this Bev-Pro-1 receiving setup. Yes, I also worked C82DX. Since then I have added even more DX to my collection as the most recent was VK3IO on 160m CW summer 2014; Spring 2014 9M2 on 40m; HSO on 80m; VU7 Anndoman and Laccadives on 80m approaching my antipode; K9W-Wake Island; and others too numerous to mention.

I typically do not write reviews, but this system is a keeper and made me a believer. For the first time in my 36 years as a ham, I am now able to hear those hidden signals below the noise that I never was able to hear, but knew they were there since other hams spotted them on the DX clusters. The signal to noise ratio is so amazing and much better with this system than any loop, dipole, or vertical that I used in the past for the low bands!

I have recently obtained the Bev-Pro-4 and it works like a champ to be able to switch directions with the flip of a switch like the Bev-Pro-1, but allows more configurations other than the classic Beverage!

If you have the space, this is definitely worth the investment. The team at Pixel is great and also can answer any of your technical questions.
I am happy to share my secret with you and trust you might consider one of the Bev-Pro systems.

Happy low band DXing and hope to CU in the pileups!

Bruce

K4UEE Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Recommend it !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I installed the BevPro-1 reversible beverage prior to my departure for FT5ZM. My home is on an .8 acre lot in a suburban subdivision and long beverages are out of the question. The ability to feed the antenna anywhere along it's length made it possible to squeeze in about 400 feet. It was fed at about the 300 foot point, and aimed directly at Amsterdam Island.
W6IZT came to my home station during our Dxpedition, and using the BevPro-1, got in our log.
I believe it works about the same as a conventional beverage of the same length. However, the flexibility as to where it can be fed and of course, switching directions on a single antenna makes a great investment for those who have a similar QTH situation as mine.

N4EDT Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Great set of Ears  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A respected amateur friend suggested that I try one of the Pro-1 magnetic loop antennas.
I read your material on the web and watched the video and was impressed but very skeptical. When I discuss this with some local hams at breakfast 3 out of four of them had never heard of a Mangetic loop antenna and the fourth ham had one that he had bought at Hamvention last year and it was still in the box. I asked him if he would loan it to me that I might try it.

Simple to assemble and, Iinstalled it in the attic over my ham shack. Recption is unbelievable. Received signals are strong. I am running 12 to 18 db of attinuation on 160 thru 40. The noise is in most cases non existent. I have copied more DX signal in one evening on 80 meters than I have in 5 years of DX activity using a long wire. Until tonight I had never copied a 160 signal over 200 miles from my QTH. When the ham that loaned the antenna to me manages to steal it back I will be buying a replacement.

Wonderful product, simple, readable instruction and it works great.

NE1B Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - Low Noise Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My interest in the BevPro-1 was to improve my EU reception. I have previously installed single wire beverages which are sometimes still very noisy and none with good EU signals. This is mainly because to my NE, I can only go 200' to the public road. In the reverse direction I am limited by neighbor properties but could go about 250' SW. So total length would be 450'.

In late November I had installed the 250' SW leg and termination unit with ground rod, followed by the 200' NW leg. Finally, on Dec. 7, 2013, I installed the Feed Point Unit. The final feedline runs were done in 2" of snow! Hey, all antennas work better in bad weather! Anyway, I got right on the air for the ARRL 160m. contest. Did not have time to adjust the trim pots. Off and running, I noted a 10 dB F/B NE to SW. Good for nulling stateside. Europe was loud. Better than my West 500' unterminated single wire beverage and my 200' East unterminated beverage which was also very noisy. The bi-directional antenna had very low noise. Further tests showed 18 dB F/B with local US stations.

Part of my slow installation process was the planning to route it away from all my other beverages (NW, W, SE and E), towers and TX antennas. I had to run it thru some heavy brush, prickers and thick forest with fallen trees. In summertime it is filled with deer ticks (Lyme disease) and mosquitos. So, I was not too keen getting out there in the summer, but they don't seem to like snow!

So now I will do some more pattern testing and trim pot tweaking.

BTW, for my 10 hour limited operation, I worked 77 Sections and 17 countries with 315 QSOs. So I am very pleased. This solved my restricted lot and EU directional limitations!

The only negative I encountered was losing some washers in the leaves while connecting the ground wire to the termination unit.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2014 03:40 Send this review to a friend
It works!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pretty dubious about this product. I had the need for a long beverage at my location to improve 160m capability into EU. My previous attempt to manage this with a ladder-line bidirectional antenna was not successful as the line was constantly twisting in the wind and required frequent repairs. I mapped out a 950' long path through the woods at my property, used a GPS so I would maintain a straight line and put it up. I used rigid galvanized conduit cut into 5' lengths as stakes to hold 10' PVC where I needed additional supports. I took tension off the antenna where I could by using tape around the RG6 and coax staples onto boards or trees. The feed point is mounted about 100' from one end and I have two 750' transmission lines going into the house. The antenna has a superior S/N ratio to any of the other listening antennas and is about an S-unit stronger in the Reverse direction than my modified DX Engineering Circle 8 array in the same direction. I attribute the S/N ratio to the exclusive horizontal polarization. It hears EU stations on 160. Longevity should be better than the ladder line antenna based on the materials used and my careful construction techniques. As far as I can tell the only drawback to this antenna is the dual long transmission lines. The enclosed manual with the antenna is much more descriptive and informative than on line materials. It looks far better than any previous beverage I have had and I hope it will be easier to maintain and will stay up without deterioration.