Reviews Categories | Microphones | Apex 880 Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Apex 880 Microphone
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Inexpensice dynamic microphone with hyper cardioid pattern.

You can write your own review of the Apex 880 Microphone.

W2NJU Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2013 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Good performanc at a low price point.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently, I staged a "shoot out" between 3 microphones: My Heil HM-12, Shure SM-58 and a 'cheapo" Chinese import, the Apex 880. Being a bit of a microphone snob, I was surprised when the 880 (the cheapest of the trio) won, hands down, in a test on SSB. The judge on the receiving was a good friend and fellow ham who is quite critical on performance. The radio used was a Kenwood TS-570 using 3 transmit EQ settings: flat, high boost, conventional. No compression, mic setting at "50" which is the default. Transmit bandwidth 2.4 kHz. The 880 just sounded more "like me" I was told. There is a very nice vocal bass boost from proximity effect in you are within 2 inches of the mic which closely resembles the Shure SM-58. The mic had enough drive to push the ALC about 2/3 of the way into the scale. The mic is solidly built but has no internal capsule isolation so it is sensitive to bumping noises. I was shocked that it was perceived as sounding slightly better than my Heil HM-12 which was about 3 times the price. I won't be tossing my Heil any time soon, but this was an eye opener.