Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QEX Help

Reviews Summary for QEX
QEX Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $24.00
Description: Magazine for the amateur radio experimenter, published by the ARRL.
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QEX.

SWL2002 Rating: 1/5 Aug 20, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Downhill  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is another Ham Radio periodical on the downhill slide. From the quality of the articles, to the thickness of the magazine, QEX has become a disappointment from what it once was. I will not be renewing.

KE5JPP Rating: 0/5 Jan 12, 2012 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it in 2012!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just received my Jan/Feb 2012 QEX. A total of 24 pages! I thought it was a joke and something bad happened at the printers! It is the thinnest QEX I have ever received. The quality of the articles has gone down considerably in the last few years since Doug Smith was replaced as Editor. It is not worth it anymore.

KS1U Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2009 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I look forward to QST every month, but I REALLY look forward to QEX. Excellent journal with in depth construction and technical articles for Hams who like building and experimenting. It really could not be better, well ok maybe if they gave out pcbs of all the construction articles, but then I probably couldn't afford it. Seriously, if you're a Ham who likes building stuff and really understanding the cutting edge of radio technology, you should get a subscription.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Well worthwhile, excellent technical articles  Time owned: more than 12 months
QEX is the ARRL's true technical publication. It has very detailed technical articles and I learn a lot from reading it. ARRL members receive a deep discount in price for subscriptions (you don't have to be a member to subscribe) and at the lower rate this magazine is well worth the price of admission.

For those who say it's thin, well... there aren't many ads either, are there? It's all meat and potatoes. Highly recommended, and I am about to send in a renewal on my subscription.

AE6PN Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2004 22:08 Send this review to a friend
One of the only Practical RF design  Time owned: more than 12 months
After all, QEX is one of the few magazine , which show practical RF circuits, rather than theory but never been build. Many Electrical Engineer now days strong on theoretical , but lack practical hand on experience needed to complete many of the project related to RF circuits. QEX is must for engineer those who need to come up with the project it work, rather than project looks good on paper.

KA4RKT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2004 23:27 Send this review to a friend
The best there is!  Time owned: more than 12 months
QEX is far an above the best thing out there for technical articles. Way back when, when 73 (R.I.P.) was at its peak, I would have said the same of it. QEX is always informative, the articles are always well written and easy to understand - It's truly top notch!

N4HY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2004 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Great technical magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was a subscriber to Ham Radio and QEX in the early days. I lost interest in the early 1990's and then the "good old days" were gone. I no longer yearn for the good old days. QEX, under the hands on supervision by Doug Smith, KF6DX, is the premiere technical publication in the U.S. and the value of the magazine to me has really increased dramatically. The recent articles on applied DSP (Software Defined Radio, Cognitive Radio, Linrad) have had a large impact on me personally and professionally. The ARRL has a lot to be proud of with this fantastic magazine. The only other in the world that I would put on a par with it, is more specialized is DUBUS.

CT1HZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2003 08:31 Send this review to a friend
QEX giving information about latest technology in amateur radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
QEX is a great technical magazine giving information about the state of art in ham radio technology. Worldwide there is only one other magazine I know that could be compared with QEX.
It`s name is DUBUS Magazine (for VHF/UHF/SHF technology).
Check www.dubus.org if you don`t know it yet.

BX2AH Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2003 04:55 Send this review to a friend
the true spirit of ham radio magazine  Time owned: months
I have beeing reading the good old QST for the third consecutive year now and my subscription to QEX hhas refreshed my ham life again.

this is not for beginners but if you are
into the knowhow inside of your TXMR or antenna design and have mastered a bit of the ARRL handbook and/or antenna book this is what keeps
your mind and hand busy again. I highly recommend
it.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2002 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Make it bigger!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get QST as part of my ARRL membership, and I find myself reading almost every letter printed. However, I see too few technical articles to suit me. QEX fills the bill. Propagation, antenna theory and design, RF design, practical 'how-to' articles - they're all in there.
I do understand that QST must appeal to the greatest mass of amateur radio ops not just in the US but worldwide, and thank the great powers that be for their continuing efforts to keep technical stuff reaching the hands of the technically-oriented ham.
If you want to know a little more about how stuff works and/or how to make it, QEX is for you. I just wish the mag came out monthly or was twice as thick...