Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | QEX Help

Reviews Summary for QEX
QEX Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $24.00
Description: Magazine for the amateur radio experimenter, published by the ARRL.
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the QEX.

KC8LTL Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2002 19:22 Send this review to a friend
More for your membership  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While QST is one of the more useful benefits of ARRL membership, there is much more to the ham world out there. Before I subscribed to QEX, I found out some of it from the web, which is a great ham resourse. However, QEX is a great additional resourse as well.

By no means do I understand every part of every article, but QEX is written (and edited) quite well. Just a glace at QEX will give you an idea of what is happening in the technical side of the hobby. If you look closer, you can see that these authors are following the best of the ham tradition by trying to help out us fellow hams understand what is going on in our radios.

I can certainly understand that many if not most hams are more interested in communicating rather than radio design, but if you want to know what is happening in your radio, QEX is a clear and relatively understandable resourse.

WB8WOR Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2001 17:03 Send this review to a friend
So THIS is where the technical articles went!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember paging through older QST magazines as a teen and finding very technical articles in them. Many of them involved calculus and physics that were beyond me.
Now that I've gained a little knowlege, I wondered what happened to them. The answer is that they are now in QEX.
I don't know why this happened; I suppose QST had to be mainstreamed to appeal to a wider audience. Anyway, I usually devour this one when it arrives.
I'm a little disappointed that it only comes out six times a year. The first issue contained a hint that it may be increased to every month, but this never happened. I suppose there are not enough authors to increase it.
Oh. While I'm glad that they put a bunch of the early volumes on CD-ROM, the latest ones have been once-a-year issue that includes NCJ as well. I hope there will be another comprehensive CD-ROM covering ten years again.

K3SUI Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2000 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Ripped off from QST  Time owned: months
The articles in this magazine are the ones that used to make QST a good magazine.

W8OB Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2000 16:38 Send this review to a friend
excellant magazine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
first off my only gripes with this mag is it only comes out every other month and i would like to see more articles, that being said i look forward to receiving it excellant construction and advanced theory articles with very light advertising. as one who does a lot of homebrew and kit building this mag is very refreshing. keep up the good work. if you close your eyes while reading this baby you can almost smell rosin core solder hi