Reviews Categories | Contesting Hardware | YCCC SO2R+ Help

Reviews Summary for YCCC SO2R+
YCCC SO2R+ Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$160 (2 radio), $185 (4 radio)
Description: The SO2R Box (plus) allows an operator to listen and transmit on two (or four) radios, transmitting on one and listening on another, or listening on two radios at the same time. It has switching for headphones and microphone, a built-in keyer, and auxiliary LPT-style outputs. It connects to the computer through a USB interface.

It works with major contest logging software including N1MM Logger, Win-Test, and WriteLog.

The unit is a kit. There is one PC board. All of the components are soldered onto it. The board has three surface-mount parts which are installed prior to shipping.
More info: http://www.k1xm.org/SO2R/index.html

You can write your own review of the YCCC SO2R+.

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2015 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Great kit !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a hard time to find this review, as it's really YCCC not YCC.....no matter-there's only one other review, so figured I may as well add to it.

Built this last Saturday and took around ~4 hours+
give or take. I really took my time.
This Sunday I built this interface cables. I am sure that took me about the same amount of time, hi !

Great support from Dennis W1UE and Paul K1XM with some questions way back when I first bought it ~2 yrs ago and again recently re: Virtual com port drivers.

Got it all working an hour ago so in the heat of the battle, I have not used it, but I believe I have tested all functions.

There is also a Yahoo support group for same.

N6ER Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to operate SS SO2R, so I ordered the 2 radio kit after reviewing all the options. The package arrived after about a week. The circuit board is top quality, documentation is solid, and the cabinet is built like a tank. The kit requires soldering through-hole components, which took a few hours. All controls and jacks are board mounted, so there is no internal cabling to fail. Fit and finish is great, and the controls feel solid.

I did opt to build a pair of interface cables to my radios (K3 and IC-9100). These cables interface radio key, PTT, mic, and audio to the box rear panel using 8 pin DIN connectors, which are a pain to solder, but do-able.

Interface to the PC uses USB (great), but requires virtual COM port pairs to be installed using some freeware (easily installed).

The box runs from 12 VDC, and will pass through either Radio 1 or Radio 2 without being turned on. To use the full SO2R capability requires running a utility program that connects the COM port parirs to the SO2R box and the PC.

I ran SO2R using N1MM logging program. Documentation for N1MM set-up to use the SO2R+ box is great - no problems. However, N1MM uses the PAUSE key for SO2R functionality, and my Dell XPS14 laptop didn't have such a key, so I used AutoHotKey to re-map the CapsLock key to do the same thing.

I love that operation of the unit is so intuitive - very simple controls. The built-in WinKeyer is smooth. Keyer weighting and timing can be adjusted with a separate utility program provided with the software download. Firmware updates can be quickly loaded via the USB port.

I would definitely recommend this unit to anyone interested in SO2R.