Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | SIGMA Silver Rod Venom 5/8 Wave Help

Reviews Summary for SIGMA Silver Rod Venom 5/8 Wave
SIGMA Silver Rod Venom 5/8 Wave Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $60 (£35)
Description: The Sigma Silver Rod Venom 5/8 Wave is longer than 1/2 Wave. This means it will have improved performance on transmit and receive.

CB 26-28 MHz AM/FM/SSB Base antenna

•Mounting Pole Bracket
•Made in Great Britain
•Antenna average range 20 miles +
More info: http://www.sigmaeurocomm.co.uk/sigmasilverrodvenom58wave.html

You can write your own review of the SIGMA Silver Rod Venom 5/8 Wave.

K8CNN Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Review SIGMA 5/8 Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had poor luck with three previous fiberglass antennas, and was looking for an all aluminum replacement antenna. I found this on on eBay for a reasonable price and decided to give it a try!

I assembled the antenna according to the black pan marks on the sections of antenna (tuned up great at 26 Mhz,) the antenna is rated to wok between 26 to 28 Mhz. and from my experience the pen marks are for the low end of the band.

After some adjustments I shortend the top section of the antenna by approximately 18 Inches and got it well for 27.0 to 28.5 with a max VSWR of 2.0 at either end, (I'm sure if I shorted it about 24 inches it would immprove furtherer up the band in 10m) however I still have a few CB friends that I occasionally chat with, and primarily only use 28.3 to 28.5 on 10 Meters.

The antenna seems to preform well and is nice quality in the construction (simple, not much to screw up over time) seems pretty heavy duty compared to some others.

It claims 4.6 db gain and 1000 watts, I only have 150 watts and it handled it nicely! (personally I think 1000 watts would melt the coil at the bottom) but who knows?

It seems to receive nice and I have made a few good contacts so far!

My configuration for this antenna at my QTH is: its mounted to my roof on a ranch style home (roof is 15 ft high) plus a 15 foot mast pipe (made of galvanized fence rail) for total of 30 feet at the base of the antenna, my Ground elevation in N.E, Ohio is 1150 ft. with 50 ft of low loss coax

For the price I can't complain (under $60.00) it seems to be sturdier construction and easier to tune than the A-99 it replaced after only 5 years, It also seems to be a bit better on receive with less noise than the Antron A-99 (also the A-99 is 1/2 wave) vs this antenna that is 5/8 wave.

So if your looking for a good quality no frills antenna, I would recommend this one! with a little tuning you can make it suit most needs! Enjoy! K8CNN 73

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Still good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Still working very well. This antenna has got me into some interesting countries...

It handles QRP and QRO without any difficulties!

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and cheerful 10m vertical!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid £35 (inc p+P) for this antenna and found that it's 2 S points up on my centre fed vertical dipole on both TX/RX and is also electrically quieter too!

I've pushed 400W SSB through it with no problems and have worked some Far East Countries on it including Burma (Myanmar).

Great value for money and cheap to replace when it does eventually snap in high winds...