Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Icom Canada (service) Help

Reviews Summary for Icom Canada (service)
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Icom sales and service centre in Canada
More info: http://www.icomcanada.com/

You can write your own review of the Icom Canada (service).

VE9GC Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2014 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Unexpected tech support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Icom 706 MK IIG that I purchased some time ago and left it sitting on the shelf. I came to the decision that I should either install it as backup on rig to my IC-7600 or sell it. In either case I wanted to be sure it was working as it should be. Initial tests showed good results on HF using SSB, CW, RTTY and AM modes. I switched the unit to local 2 mtr repeater and it would kick out. Same thing happened on 440MHz. SSB, CW, RTTY and AM modes on VHF/UHF worked fine. The only issue was no output on FM on any band.

Before sending the unit clear across the country I emailed Icom Canada service section explaining the issue and wondering if I could get a repair estimate. In less than 24 hrs (email was sent on a Sunday)I received a response from one of their service people who said it would be difficult to give an estimate as they had not encountered something quite like this. I replied and said in my 35 + years I hadn't seen anything quite like this either. Another email was received from Allen at Icom suggesting that if I had the service manual I could check and adjust the FM VCO.

To make a long story short, I grabbed the service manual, found the reference, took the top cover off and adjusted the voltage to the specification. Presto, all modes on all bands functioning correctly.

Not a penny spent. Great customer service, thanks Allen and Icom.

Gordon
VE9GC

VE7AZC Rating: 0/5 Jan 1, 2014 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Worst Experience Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 746 Pro suffered the usual failed finals, so I had the board for the failed finals replaced for almost $500. The Service Manager in the Richmond BC repair center refused to give me the blown board ... said they belonged to Icom now ... WHAT?

I purchased and had installed a new board. The old board is still mine. At what point did the board in MY radio ever become 'owned' by ICOM? Very unreasonable manager ... to the point of being obnoxious. They had no written policy on this matter... it was just his whim.

Had I known I would have taken the radio over the border for service in Bellingham WA. (They have a pretty good reputation).

I will NEVER buy from Icom Canada again.
I also tell everyone where appropriate about my experience with the Richmond BC Icom center.

I purchase and have my stuff serviced in the US.

NEVER again Canada.

Sorry ... but that's the facts, Jack.

H

VE3SJV Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Positive situation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Originally my review was going to be a '0' but an email to the general manager outlining my displeasure and frustrations on repairs to my IC-7600 and the length of time and lack of communications from the service department resulted in an apology from the GM and a replacement radio.