Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array
Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $840
Description: Low band listening antenna using a closed loop and time delay technology.
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/sal_array.htm

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2017 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Game changer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made my installation a bit more permanent and raised it about 7' AGL.

The performance on 160-40M is amazing compared to my verticals and dipoles. Using WSPR to do some quantitative comparison I am observing at least 12dB SNR improvement. I am working DX that the L's or dipoles can not make out, but are Q5 on the SAL-30.

I have some pictures and videos on my QRZ page.

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2016 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Very effective RX antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update: This will be my third season on 160 with this antenna. DXCC now stands at 94 worked/93 confirmed.

I use it as my preferred rx antenna on 160-through 40m, because it reduces QRN, really helps pick up LP signals on 40 in particular, and provides some useful rejection off the sides and rear. Above 40m it loses its directionality.

RX signals tend to be 1 S-unit down on 160 vs my qtr wave Inv-L supported by a 52 mast. Marginal DX signals are about 3 db better on the SAL30. RX signals on the other bands are as strong as or better than my wire antennas.

Last week I realigned the loop pairs to be more in line ( they were up to 10 degrees off, rechecked the dimensions on the bottom legs
(somehow the 25 ft dimension had changed over time by as much as 18 inches) so I reset all four bottom lengths. Then I found the distances to the center of the couplers had also moved substantially, and reset them to 155".

Apparently the wind moved the coupler and perhaps the wire through the triangle corners as well, and/or the wire in the loop stretches.

Having done so, the lower wire is no longer truely horizontal, as recommended by AS, but that is a project for another day.

N3BB Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 05:15 Send this review to a friend
SAL-30  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What an amazing receiving antenna. I almost cried when I realized how good this thing is. In my case, I ended up re-stalling it on an elevated wooden base, and with elevated "anchor poles" in order to get the horizontal sections up to seven or eight feet high(above deer and other critters) and also so get the base and anchors embedded in concrete as the antenna is on a low flood-plane along a creek. This "re-do" made the thing flood and critter proof. I just love this antenna!

N9NS Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2015 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receive antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put my antenna up about a week ago by myself. I set a 6x6 post in the ground with two mast house bracket mounted on it. I was able to raise the mast and secure it to the post where it stood self-supported for a few minutes while I set the guys.

A couple of nights ago I was listening to a VP2 on 40 SSB. With the SAL Southeast he was peaking S-7/S-8, flip to Northwest and was still copyable but S3 to S4, almost at the noise level. Surprisingly he was an S-unit or so stronger on the SAL than on my 2 element 40M beam at 72 ft. It performs about the same on 80 over my dipole at 70 feet. The SAL has a preamp in it which may account for the difference. The directional ability falls off on 30 meters to maybe an S-unit or two. It also has a generally lower noise level than the other antennas.

I noticed yesterday afternoon on 40 meters when the band was just opening to Europe the beam was an S-unit better, but later after dark the SAL was better.

For checking directional characteristics there are websites where you can find local AM radio stations. Like here: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate

Then there are other sites like here:
which will give you the co-ordinates of their transmitters.

And there are websites like here:
which will calculate the bearing to the station. Or there are mapping softwares like Delorme Topo North America which will calculate bearings.

Generally it shows front-to-back as good as 25 dB from broadcast band up thru 40 meters. I think the null off the back is rather sharp. Stations off to one side a little are not down that much.

Overall a great receive antenna. Makes life on the low bands much more fun!

73/DX/Mike/N9NS

K9REK Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2014 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good RX Solution.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna performs as described and installation went well with the exception of one coupler feed line, the polarity was reversed at the coupler end. Once this issue was identified and optimization was completed it performs similar to my short beverage. F/B is good and the bottom line is I hear what I can't with my TX low band antennas which are a wave vertical for 75/80 and a another 80 meter wave vertical top loaded for 160 meters. All hardware is FB and I am pleasantly pleased with the initial performance.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Superb ... almost amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The performance and design of this antenna are equaled by the superlative support. I am supremely happy with my purchase. For those of us who, for various reasons, can't have an array of eight 600' Beverage antennas ... this is the next best thing, and may actually be a little better. My station changed for the better, by a LOT, when I added this new accessory. As others find out about it, I expect this new design will become the 'performance/size benchmark" for RX antennas.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Best listening antenna I have used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have an SAL-20 but this product outperforms it easily on 160m. One does need at least one helper to raise it. We used a push broom for additional leverage and prevent breakage of the fiberglass poles as we walked it up. I mounted the horizontal wires at about 8' above the ground. This should help with keeping deer from hitting the wires. The signals on the AM band are wonderful with this antenna. It appears this is the best listening antenna I have ever used.