Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array Help

Reviews Summary for Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array
Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $840
Description: Low band listening antenna using a closed loop and time delay technology.

You can write your own review of the Array Solutions AS-SAL-30 Shared Apex Loop Array.

N9NS Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2015 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent receive antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put my antenna up about a week ago by myself. I set a 6x6 post in the ground with two mast house bracket mounted on it. I was able to raise the mast and secure it to the post where it stood self-supported for a few minutes while I set the guys.

A couple of nights ago I was listening to a VP2 on 40 SSB. With the SAL Southeast he was peaking S-7/S-8, flip to Northwest and was still copyable but S3 to S4, almost at the noise level. Surprisingly he was an S-unit or so stronger on the SAL than on my 2 element 40M beam at 72 ft. It performs about the same on 80 over my dipole at 70 feet. The SAL has a preamp in it which may account for the difference. The directional ability falls off on 30 meters to maybe an S-unit or two. It also has a generally lower noise level than the other antennas.

I noticed yesterday afternoon on 40 meters when the band was just opening to Europe the beam was an S-unit better, but later after dark the SAL was better.

For checking directional characteristics there are websites where you can find local AM radio stations. Like here:

Then there are other sites like here:
which will give you the co-ordinates of their transmitters.

And there are websites like here:
which will calculate the bearing to the station. Or there are mapping softwares like Delorme Topo North America which will calculate bearings.

Generally it shows front-to-back as good as 25 dB from broadcast band up thru 40 meters. I think the null off the back is rather sharp. Stations off to one side a little are not down that much.

Overall a great receive antenna. Makes life on the low bands much more fun!

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered mine in early November and received it about 4 weeks later.

Take time to measure each loop as accurately as possible. Mainly, check all four side by side and trim any difference for best performance.
Follow the instructions on assembly. You can do most of it solo, but having a helper is much better.
When its time to lift the mast to insert the final couple of sections, carefully measure 3 ft of slack for each guy rope and loop, then lift straight up, quickly. Too much slack lets the mast tilt and sway and runs the risk of mast failure. With 3 ft of slack, it stays stable and is relatively easy.

Once assembled, keep the four bottom loop wires truly level - ie use a level to make sure - rather than parallel to the ground. If the ground slopes, and youre parallel to it, you lose F/B.

F/B: I have listened for over a month on 160-80-40m and stations 1000 miles+ away show 4-5-6-7- S units F/B on my IC7600's s-meter on all three bands. Signals often go from Q5 into the noise.
Now Ive been advised my S meter is only 2-3 db/unit. I initially assumed a standard 6 db/ s unit, but when looking at stronger signals that were about 20 over 9, they dropped to S9. So you have to be careful when comparing S units to db over s9.

My first test on 160 ( the reason why I bought it) was impressive.
Station 1 was W1AW. Beaming at 90 degrees, from central Ohio, the S meter went from S9 down to S2 as I flipped the pattern from E to W. Multiple times. Q5 to into the noise. Nice!

A few minutes later I heard Station 2: W1AW/7 in Montana. Looking NW ( 315 degrees) he was S8. Flipping the antenna dropped him to S2.

Then I heard Station #3, a YS in Central America. Beaming due S ( 180 degrees) made his signal drop from S8 to S1.

All three stations on 160m in three very different directions showed major F/B.

The advertised 20 db F/B is probably what a lab instrument would measure. But there is no doubt this antenna makes a big difference on distant stations. The above three were between 900 and 1500 miles away.

On stations close in, the F/B on these high angle signals can be anywhere from 0-3 s-units on my rx.

Pleasantly surprising was that the same F/B ratio holds true on 80 and 40m as well.

This is my favorite antenna for rcvg on those three bands. It's neat to hear things others cant. One day around 4 pm on 7.163 I heard three JA's making the haul - Long Path - at around S6-7. Short path they were down in the noise ( S1-2). Then I heard a JA/mobile LP. Wow. Then an HL.

Switching to the 40m phased array looking NE or SW I heard bits and pieces. thats all. Listening ton a 4BTV, I heard some of them at around S2-3.

Prettly slick!

I do have some rfi issues with the IC7600's built in antenna tuner when running 1 kw, but by punching in 12 db attenuation on the 7600 it goes away.
My SAL is about 100 ft from my 160m INV-L/ 35 ft from the house/shack/ and only 15 ft from my 80m inv-V. Not optimal. Next year I'll probably move it a bit further away.

K9REK Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2014 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Good RX Solution.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna performs as described and installation went well with the exception of one coupler feed line, the polarity was reversed at the coupler end. Once this issue was identified and optimization was completed it performs similar to my short beverage. F/B is good and the bottom line is I hear what I can't with my TX low band antennas which are a wave vertical for 75/80 and a another 80 meter wave vertical top loaded for 160 meters. All hardware is FB and I am pleasantly pleased with the initial performance.
KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Superb ... almost amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The performance and design of this antenna are equaled by the superlative support. I am supremely happy with my purchase. For those of us who, for various reasons, can't have an array of eight 600' Beverage antennas ... this is the next best thing, and may actually be a little better. My station changed for the better, by a LOT, when I added this new accessory. As others find out about it, I expect this new design will become the 'performance/size benchmark" for RX antennas.
KN2M Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Best listening antenna I have used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have an SAL-20 but this product outperforms it easily on 160m. One does need at least one helper to raise it. We used a push broom for additional leverage and prevent breakage of the fiberglass poles as we walked it up. I mounted the horizontal wires at about 8' above the ground. This should help with keeping deer from hitting the wires. The signals on the AM band are wonderful with this antenna. It appears this is the best listening antenna I have ever used.