Reviews Categories | Microphones | YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Help

Reviews Summary for YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control
YAESU MD 100A8X  Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$125.50 @ R&L Electronics
Description: Yaesu, traets this as their top-of -the-line high end Mic, and as well they should. I have used Heil, Sure ICOM and other various microphones, which are from stand alone to hand mics, not that I'm the expert. But from the time I have incorporated the MD 100, the audio reports have been nothing less than "Excellent", so I'll let nealry 400 QSOs, from the mics use speak for themself! I use one for HF and the other for UHF/VHF with assured audio quality. W8DMC

You can write your own review of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2016 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Great general purpose mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Yaesu MD-100A8X microphone is a good quality desk mic whose output level, frequency response, connectors and controls are tailored to modern Yaesu radios.

On the FT-3000, -1200, and FT-991 it sounds pretty good (by my own experience) without any equalizer engaged. The mic also has separate settings on the underside for high frequency emphasis and low-frequency cut selections, along with a defeat switch. The mic is good for rag-chewing when the defeat switch is engaged and suitably shrill and annoying for DX work when both #2 low-cut and high emphasis are selected. Very convenient!

At the base of the mic pedestal is a 2-way horizontal sliding switch artfully sculpted in. This allows up/down frequency or channel selection, or scanning start/stop and direction, with many Yaesu radios.

There is NO battery in this microphone, unlike the slightly similar Kenwood MC-60A.

Yaesu currently uses two different types of mic connectors: 1. An 8-pin plug-in/screw locking connector (FTDX-9000, 5000, 3000, 1200, etc) and 2. an RJ-45 type (looks like an Ethernet plug) connector. This microphone is compatible with both due to a clever cable/jack arrangement on the back of the mic. Very Nice!

The mic base has a momentary TX switch and a TX lock switch on top, suitably easy to use, though the lock switch can be hit a little too easily, as its on the unprotected edge of the base. The mic barrel itself ALSO has a locking TX switch built in.

The one flaw with this microphone, as with many other desk mics for Amateur Radio, is that the pedestal shaft is WAY too short, forcing most users to hunch over to speak into it. Yes, the mic mount swivels up and down, and back and forth, but it's reach is just too short for me (6', average build).

It IS possible to dismount the mic from the pedestal and use it with another desk stand or boom and Yaesu points this out in their instructions. However, you may need a new cable. Broadcast/musician mic stands/booms for desks are readily available online or at Guitar Centers - you will need a Shure-type clip in microphone mount rather than a typical XLR screw-in mount, BTW.

Overall, I'd give this workhorse a 4.5. It's well and thoughtfully built, except for the short, fixed length pedestal shaft.

Brian-K6BRN

N7KJ Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2016 14:39 Send this review to a friend
great microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some people buy a Chevy and then complain it not a Mercedes. Go figure.....

The MD-100A8X is a super microphone for any and all Yaesu transceivers, and many other brands as well. It is as good as the older version, the MD1. It just looks different. Know and accept what you buy, and don't complain afterwards. Your voice is your own problem. Please don't blame the product for your shortcomings. Thank you!

As they say, grow up, will you!?

K4NBC Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2016 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Goo enough to yo use with ft-857d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well picked up a used one in good shape, can't wait yo tri it out. Some good and baddy reviews but but to me, give. Irt try and check with other users that already know the good audio settings

SM2FYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2015 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Premium class together with FT-991  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hej,
ordered this mic new as a replacement at home for the standard supplied mic with FT-991. Very good reports on speach qulity if you know how to adjust the EQ settings for your rig. New rigs is not as in "old days", they have so many more settings.

I recommend this microphone for the FT-991 at any home setup.

73 de SM2FYZ (Ulf)

W8KX Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2014 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Ho Hum  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had several of these over the years. They interface to Yaesu equipment easily. Unfortunately for my voice, they are flat sounding with only fair articulation and frequency response for communications use.
I prefer vintage Shure and Electrovoice microphones.

NT4Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this mike for over two years and I have had no problem with it. I am getting excellent reports on the receptions so I can only go by what I hear. I use it on my FT-817D QRP rig and it seems to work fine. I have never used the switches on the bottom of it so I can only assume the switches are in the right position. I am not one to fix what is not broken so I leave good enough alone. I love to improve things, though, so if anyone has any suggestions please email me with the suggestions. My new call sign is NT4Z if you are looking for me and want to give me some suggestions.

K4TPC Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Great match to FTDX-3000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this mic connected to my Yaesu FTDX-3000. I use the mic's "HIGH EMPHASIS" switch to ON and the FTDX-3000's "MIC EQ" switch to OFF. I always get great audio reports.

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Quality microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a desk mike for my Yaesu FT-dx1200 and this model was the matching accessory. An attractive desk microphone, black finish with a nice size base. Excellent audio quality with clear crisp sound. Mike has equalization switches on the bottom to roll off bass or boost highs. Mike comes with switches bypassed for flat response. I've received great audio reports with the factory setting. A clear improvement over the Yaesu hand mike. I am pleased with this microphone.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 22:32 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok updated review of Yaesu MD100A8X Desk Top microphone , still hooked up to Yaesu FT990. But now with the W2IHY 8 Band EQ I'm able to run the MD100 mic also with my Yaesu FT101ZD MKIII tubed Transciever so you can just imagine how nice the audio sounds.This mic sounded good on my FT990 but with the 8 Band EQ + Noise gate this mic sends some really nice audio through. Now if I wanted to use the filters on the mic it's dueable cause of the power consumption the 8 Band EQ sends to any of the four mic connections. Still leave it in the thru position , sounds best like that in my opinion. So the mic is great & with a external piece of gear like the W2IHY 8 Band EQ that supply's 5V you can use the supplied filters on base of mic & you can run it to any two Transceivers.

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
good bit of mike  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
looks good works well,its as good as any other mike out there and its cheep to.
good for the ft450 cant see any thing that is any better for my small rig.
i will recommend this mike its nice and loud.
do you here me.