Reviews Categories | Microphones | YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Help

Reviews Summary for YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control
YAESU MD 100A8X  Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$125.50 @ R&L Electronics
Description: Yaesu, traets this as their top-of -the-line high end Mic, and as well they should. I have used Heil, Sure ICOM and other various microphones, which are from stand alone to hand mics, not that I'm the expert. But from the time I have incorporated the MD 100, the audio reports have been nothing less than "Excellent", so I'll let nealry 400 QSOs, from the mics use speak for themself! I use one for HF and the other for UHF/VHF with assured audio quality. W8DMC

You can write your own review of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Just what I wanted & works with two different radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving several poor critiques about my audio while using the hand microphone with the Yaesu FT-840, I looked for a mike thinking I wouldn't find one that would work with my old radio but I did find one ! It fits the bill although the tone controls don't work with the 840, the scanner button beneath the mike pedestal does. I'm told my audio is much better with the MD-100. I've never owned a desk mike and really like this one. Two hams advised me to watch out for the apparently weak screw/attachment where the mike holder fits onto the stand. It looks sturdy enough to me but I can see it breaking with rough handling. That would not be enough to keep me from getting this microphone. Another plus is that it works with my new Yaesu FT-817nd. The MD-100 is not recommended ( or mentioned ) to be used with the 817 but the 817/MD100 pin configurations are the same. So all I have to do is reverse the modular plug and round 8 ping plug to use it with the 817. And the tone controls work with the 817. One microphone that works with two radios, I like that !

KE5GFJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2011 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Great mic once you dial it in.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned for 6 years and used on a Yaesu FT847 it works great. Always receive glowing reports on audio. On the FT900 it was way too easy to overdrive the audio. Once I finally dialed it in it was great. But this mic performs different on different rigs. The only downside is the plastic mic holder on mine broke very easily. A little super glue fixed it but that part should be made better than it is.

K1SMA Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2010 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Good mic for 840  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this mic used to go with my Yaesu Ft=840. The tone control does not work with this radio, but the scan button on the front works great. It is a very nice feature as I have arthritis and hands hurt sometimes. I sometimes talk to friends on am cb channels, and I know that if I get to close to it, it is muffled - as a power mic is. It is fine on ssb whether you are close or a little farther away. I had someone talk to me on it while I was mobile, and it sounds good. I cannot compare it to a more expensive mic, but I can say it is much better than any cb microphone I have used in past. I am female and my friends say I sounded a little different but good. But the male friend I heard sounded wonderful on it.

K1SMA Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2010 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Good mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these mics for my Yaesu ft-840. The tone controls do not work, but the scan button works great. I still talk some on regular am cb to my friends and they tell me its way too loud if I talk too close into it. On ssb, it sounds good from close or farther away. I had someone on my base talking on it while I was mobile one day, and it sounds good. I have never used a more expensive microphone, so cannot compare it, but definetly better than puttin most cb mics on the radio. I do have a Shure 550L mic wired for my Yaesu, and I was told that mic sounds more like me, but that this mic was good also. I am female, so might be one reason why.

EI4GMB Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2010 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Best in thru,off or neutral positions!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the MD-100A8X as a companion desk microphone for my Yaesu FT-920 transceiver. It is an excellent microphone and gives superb 'Heil-like' sounding broadcast audio when used with an appropriate radio equalisation or voice contour setting!!! The best A8X mic. settings for my particular FT-920 set-up were those in the neutral, thru or off positions! However, the microphone's active settings produced no noticeable improvement in the overall audio quality and in some instances even degraded it!!!
Apart from this,I would highly recommend the MD-100A8X.
It is an ideal Yaesu companion desk mic. and provides truly excellent on-air audio!!!

KD6HUC Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2010 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It works well on my FT-450 Yaesu rig and almost as well on my FT-897. The only difference is the functionality on scan button. I was a little confused as to why the cord connecting mic to base had to be so long. It creates more of the clutter I was trying to eliminate by buying a desk mic!
Also, the scan button mine came out of the box with a scan button that seemed loose and wobbly. It is easily an equal to my Goldline from Heil, but is more functional with Yaesu rigs than the heil. Incidentally, I swapped out the HC-5 element in my Pro Set Plus and am very happy with the new element. Oddly, it came out of a Kenwood KMC-21 speaker microphone! Sorry to get so far off the review on THIS mic though. It is worth 120-130 bux new and probably 75-90 used and well worth it especially for rigs that it FULLY functions with...

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2010 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another reason not to spend really big bucks for a decent microphone. When recorded through a mixer to the computer, the sound quality does not quite compare to the more expensive studio types. On the radio though, it's very hard to tell any difference. This is an excellent radio microphone. It matches the Yaesu radios and can control the frequency too. Even with a 1500W amp glowing tubes just a few feet away, it works without fault. Every audio report I have received when using it has been good.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2009 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Heil rival  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This Yaesu mic is great. It currently hangs from a boom that was home fabricated from a reclaimed thrift store 'elbow-style' desk-lamp arm and an old pedestal fan stand ($2.95).

With the VOX set on my FT-450 and the on-board equalizer and processor appropriately set, I enjoy hand's free operation and receive nothing but excellent signal reports (finally). As is apparent, this mic is tuned to these modern Yaesu radios. I have nothing but excellent things to say about this microphone! This combination has solved my audio problems once and for all. K4SPS

K2OWR Rating: 2/5 Nov 10, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This microphone would be much better suited to a recording studio than for ham radio. I got one when I bought my FT950 and had been told this mic was the most suitable for this particular radio. As a former studio engineer, my "ear" for sound quality is pretty well tuned, and I must admit the MD100 would likely be a great mic for recording vocals in the studio. The problem is that for radio communications it has completely the wrong characteristics. It does not have enough gain, lacks the kind of "punch" needed for SSB, and the all important mid-range for communications is almost non existant. Fortunately, the Yaesu FT950 has an amazing range of adjustments and I was able to finally make it sound good and get my PEP up to a reasonable level, but by the time I accomplished this, I had dialed in so much equalization and processing it was ridiculous. I don't recommend this mic for any ham use. BTW, I finally got an old Shure 444 and with no processing of any kind, I was able to sound great with lots of talk power.

G8KHS Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this mic with the FT990 & FT857D and received nothing but compliments on the audio.

I consider it good value compared to it's much more expensive brother the MD200 and at least it's reliable unlike modern Icom mics.

Recommended highly, good product Yaesu.

73 John G8KHS