Reviews Categories | Microphones | YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Help

Reviews Summary for YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control
YAESU MD 100A8X  Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$125.50 @ R&L Electronics
Description: Yaesu, traets this as their top-of -the-line high end Mic, and as well they should. I have used Heil, Sure ICOM and other various microphones, which are from stand alone to hand mics, not that I'm the expert. But from the time I have incorporated the MD 100, the audio reports have been nothing less than "Excellent", so I'll let nealry 400 QSOs, from the mics use speak for themself! I use one for HF and the other for UHF/VHF with assured audio quality. W8DMC

You can write your own review of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 22:32 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok updated review of Yaesu MD100A8X Desk Top microphone , still hooked up to Yaesu FT990. But now with the W2IHY 8 Band EQ I'm able to run the MD100 mic also with my Yaesu FT101ZD MKIII tubed Transciever so you can just imagine how nice the audio sounds.This mic sounded good on my FT990 but with the 8 Band EQ + Noise gate this mic sends some really nice audio through. Now if I wanted to use the filters on the mic it's dueable cause of the power consumption the 8 Band EQ sends to any of the four mic connections. Still leave it in the thru position , sounds best like that in my opinion. So the mic is great & with a external piece of gear like the W2IHY 8 Band EQ that supply's 5V you can use the supplied filters on base of mic & you can run it to any two Transceivers.

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
good bit of mike  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
looks good works well,its as good as any other mike out there and its cheep to.
good for the ft450 cant see any thing that is any better for my small rig.
i will recommend this mike its nice and loud.
do you here me.
jeff m0prf

KB9ZTF Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 10:01 Send this review to a friend
this is the mic for the ft450  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
what a great mic this is the perfect mic for the ft450 was running a turner sidekick a stock mh67 and the mh31 they work ok I would say 1-3 with the Turner and 1-3 with the stock mics wanted a better sound so I was talking to k9hss on 80 and he told me about this mic wow the difference is just wow make the rig sound so much better and has some great reports on am also I would give this mic a 10 on the scale of 1-5 its off the charts I also heard it with my rig on the other end and it sounds great so if you have a ft450 and want it to sound like a big rig this is the mic

K2CLH Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great so far!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this because I am ten years old which means my voice is not female or male sounding therefore it is very hard to find a microphone that handles my voice well. I took it out of the box plugged it into my FT-857D and all I have heard is "nice audio". I have tried messing with the switches on the bottom but stock seem to be perfect. Thanks Yaesu for an awesome microphone. 73, K2CLH!

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2012 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Up there with the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Audio reports have never been better with this mic

I use it with my 857D and 450D both excellent combinations

Filtering is no less than superb on SSB, maybe a little compressed on FM, but in either case I always get complimented on the clarity of my audio and how profesional it sounds

Best upgrade to the shack so far

GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Great quality mic.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all. I have only had this mic. for about a week, but it is alreay a permanent addition to the shack. I use it with an FT897. It has improved my SSB and FM signals no end. I use it in the thru position for the filters on the mic. With a mic. gain of 85 and a proc. setting of 30 giving great results. Just today I received unsolicited comments on the high quality of my audio on 15M into Anzio in Italy from Federico IZ0VXL. This mic. screams quality !! Buy one, you won't regret it.

KI6KJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mike  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the MD-100AX8 With My Yaesu 840. I purchased the Intl Radio Vox Box and modifird it to send +5 volts to the microphone so that all the functions would work.
Some people have modified the mike to add a three terminal regulator but I did not do this because the mike works on most radios as is.
I am told that I sound better on the air with the high emphasis on but My voice has alot of low tones so this is a personal preface.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Just what I wanted & works with two different radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving several poor critiques about my audio while using the hand microphone with the Yaesu FT-840, I looked for a mike thinking I wouldn't find one that would work with my old radio but I did find one ! It fits the bill although the tone controls don't work with the 840, the scanner button beneath the mike pedestal does. I'm told my audio is much better with the MD-100. I've never owned a desk mike and really like this one. Two hams advised me to watch out for the apparently weak screw/attachment where the mike holder fits onto the stand. It looks sturdy enough to me but I can see it breaking with rough handling. That would not be enough to keep me from getting this microphone. Another plus is that it works with my new Yaesu FT-817nd. The MD-100 is not recommended ( or mentioned ) to be used with the 817 but the 817/MD100 pin configurations are the same. So all I have to do is reverse the modular plug and round 8 ping plug to use it with the 817. And the tone controls work with the 817. One microphone that works with two radios, I like that !

KE5GFJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2011 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Great mic once you dial it in.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned for 6 years and used on a Yaesu FT847 it works great. Always receive glowing reports on audio. On the FT900 it was way too easy to overdrive the audio. Once I finally dialed it in it was great. But this mic performs different on different rigs. The only downside is the plastic mic holder on mine broke very easily. A little super glue fixed it but that part should be made better than it is.

K1SMA Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2010 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Good mic for 840  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this mic used to go with my Yaesu Ft=840. The tone control does not work with this radio, but the scan button on the front works great. It is a very nice feature as I have arthritis and hands hurt sometimes. I sometimes talk to friends on am cb channels, and I know that if I get to close to it, it is muffled - as a power mic is. It is fine on ssb whether you are close or a little farther away. I had someone talk to me on it while I was mobile, and it sounds good. I cannot compare it to a more expensive mic, but I can say it is much better than any cb microphone I have used in past. I am female and my friends say I sounded a little different but good. But the male friend I heard sounded wonderful on it.