Reviews Categories | Microphones | YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Help

Reviews Summary for YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control
YAESU MD 100A8X  Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$125.50 @ R&L Electronics
Description: Yaesu, traets this as their top-of -the-line high end Mic, and as well they should. I have used Heil, Sure ICOM and other various microphones, which are from stand alone to hand mics, not that I'm the expert. But from the time I have incorporated the MD 100, the audio reports have been nothing less than "Excellent", so I'll let nealry 400 QSOs, from the mics use speak for themself! I use one for HF and the other for UHF/VHF with assured audio quality. W8DMC

You can write your own review of the YAESU MD 100A8X Dexk-Top Microphone w/Tone Control.

VA3DVS Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2005 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Awsome ft-847solution  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I coupled it with an FT-847. Great reports. Just turn it off and on ssb use processor.
Thought I would need a different mic for a DTMF solution. Check this out. I used the 8 pin on the back of the 100 by plugging in a MH-36. Now I can use the handheld, which passes through the MD-100 OR......wait for it.....I can key the 100 and then just enter the code on the handheld! I mounted it on the desk firmly and EEEEEEhawwww awsome solution! Try it!

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2005 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Good desk mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought this mic from R&L electronics for my Yasey FT1000 Mark V; I have a Heil Proset headphone but wanted a matching desk mic without having to add all the extra handswitch options.

The various filtering features work well, as does the freq adjustment from the mic to the radio (I do not use it much).

Excellent quality and looks, highly recommended.

Chis WO8USA

IW0HOU Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2005 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Sounds good with FT897  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A good desktop mic for the FT 897 working as a base station.
Good response during FM local QSOs with filters totally disabled or in "low cut" position 1.
Great response in SSB DX in "low cut" position 1 and 897 speech processor on.

In order to have the UP and DOWN collar functioning ok with the FT 897 you can cut the "fast" wire (pin #4) from the 8 pins circular connector. This will prevent the radio to be switched off by long-pressing the UP and DOWN collar buttons.

73 Alex

GM0WDD Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2005 01:28 Send this review to a friend
Undecided  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As the microphone owner I can only go on the reports I receive and they haven't been very complimentary!

On purchasing the microphone I went on our local 2m FM chat frequency to be told what had I done to my audio as it was no where near as good as it was before (using the supplied fist microphone with the ft847). I adjusted the settings but still no joy so have given up using it for FM.

If I'm ever able to operate SSB from this location then I'll use it but for FM use I wouldn't recommend the MD-100. I suspect the microphone was designed for SSB rather than FM use which is a shame seeing as it costs so much here in Scotland!

AG9M Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2004 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a Rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-920 came with the MD-100A8X. I am completely satisfied with the results. I get "great audio" reports and more importantly, I get through the pile ups when others can't. I never use any of the preemphasis settings on the bottom of the stand. Also I never use the audio curves in the 920 either. I just turn on the compression for SSB and adjust the mic and compression according to the manual and away I go. This mic is truly "Solid as a Rock"

M5TAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2004 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own an 897 which is supplied with a terribly bassy sounding hand mic. The MD 100 undoubtably sounds better, good unsolicted audio reports. The filtering is a good addition too. There are a couple of gripes though: Shame the mic is not amplified, my MC60A & SM 20 made a significant improvement to drive on my Kenwood & Icom radios. The MD 100 drives the radio about as well as the standard mic, but you must be equally as close to the mic element. The up / down does not work as it should, similar to the previous posting with 857, my radio stitches its self off. Maybe some problem with the design & modular plug. Otherwise happy with audio & build quality.

N8IWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2004 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also use my 100A8X with a FT-857, great sounding audio.
To answer the question on the previous post regarding using the mic on an 857:
The "up" "Down" collar actually has 2 positions, turn it part way to select up down scan functions or turn the collar all the way which takes the place of the "FST" button on the stock 857 microphone.
Checking in the 857 manual reveals that the stock MH-31 microphone "FST" button is used to select "FAST" mode or if pressed and held for a while will shut the radio off. I found it also powers it on if it's turned off.

N5ETR Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2004 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great mic...but  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mic appears to be great. But plugged to a Yaesu FT-857, I get an unusual result. This mic has a scan up and down collar. In theory, you hold the down, and it should initiate a down scan, like it does on the mobile mic.
But it is causing the FT-857 simply to cut off. I get the same result whether I plug 8pin to modular or modular to modular....anyone else seen this?

Thanks for any help!

KF4LVC Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Best for Yaesu!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this one for almost two years with Yaesu rigs. For the last year, it's been attached to my FT-920. It sounds as good, or better, than my D104 I use with my Icom IC-746. The filtering is very handy and the radio has an internal equalizer for further tailoring. I usually have to keep the speech processor ON for better punch. I have never wired it for another rig.
It would have been better if the mic was amplified.
I hope Yaesu comes out with a new mic that is amplified and has variable equalization on-board. As far as price, I got mine new with a trade so I actually paid nothing for it. Can't beat that price!

N8IWK Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2003 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the Yaesu MD 100A8X Desk-Top Microphone over a year ago for my FT-840 and it worked great.
Just recently got a FT-857 but it has a modular mic connector instead of the round connector found on the 840. I thought I was gogin to have to get another mic cable or adapter but then I discovered if I reversed the mic cable around by connecting the round connector into the mic's 8 pin output connector instead of the modular and plug the modular connector to the 857 it worked!!!
Now I can use the mic on either radio, just by simply flipping the cable ends around.