Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Drake MN-2700 with accy B-1000 Balun Help

Reviews Summary for Drake MN-2700 with accy B-1000 Balun
Drake MN-2700 with accy B-1000 Balun Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $270.00
Description: Drake MN-2700 with optional accessory B-1000 Balun. Quality as usual from RL Drake. No complaints. I prefer it over the roller inductor tuners (fast QSY). Accurate wattmeter/SWR bridge and ability to match a wide variety of antennas. Once common at Hamfests and in the Yellow Sheets, they are now "locked" in the custody of their current owners who will probably never part with them. I saw this coming, so I acquired a mint one with B-1000 Balun for my long term collection. Unsung hero. Havent seen one on Ebay in over 6 months. Optional B-1000 Balun known to easily command $100.

You can write your own review of the Drake MN-2700 with accy B-1000 Balun.

GW0EIK Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2004 14:55 Send this review to a friend
The best !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my MN2700 for a couple of years now,and had a few other tuners as well,this is truly the Mother of all tuners,nothing will phase it!!there is nothing new on the market that will have the build of this tuner!i don't have the B-1000 balun with mine,but use a radio works "remote 4.1"balun,and it will tune your big toe if you need it too!!it stays in the shack!Period!!the best around,if you find a good one,i'm sure you won't part with it,73.

WD9N Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2004 21:46 Send this review to a friend
MN-2700  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great tuner. Bought it at an estate auction along with TR4/MS4/AC4/L4-b for $300! I almost felt giulty. This thing tunes almost everything you connect. If you find one get it!

KC5CQF Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2003 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Drake Tuff  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one of the best tuners ever built. I have never had an Arc or a Spark come from this tuner. It will tune the proverbial "Barb Wire Fence". It will handel 2000 watts "all day long". I use it for AM using 370 watts of carrier and 1500 watts PEP. It tunes and dips very smoothly. It is built like Tank, but of course it is, it's a Drake!!
Mike
KC5CQF

UA3AB Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2003 08:50 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my at Dayton few years ago. Have to use it not very often but it does a job when needed.
Easily handles modern amps.

OZ1JJX Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2003 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very rare tuner on the second hand market. Get one if you can !!! MN-2700 is not a service friendly tuner, so look for a piece in good condition.

KD7EFQ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2003 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Faster than cranking a roller inductor, some
built in TVI attenuation, attractive styling,
Made in U.S.A.! One of the better tuners out
there. I'm keeping mine! 73's. KD7EFQ

PY2ZS Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2003 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Great AAA+ Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although I don't own a B-1000, my MN-2700 have been working flawlessly for more than 18 years!

It can match a wide range of antennas, even with legal power. Once I tunes my 40m dipole on 20m with 1400W carrier, and nothing happened with my tuner... but my dipole falled down with HV arcing on insulators!!!

Much better than any other antenna tuner. If you find an used one, grab it immediately!

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2003 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Sweet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using several different MFJ tuners I found my MN 2700 on a swapnet. What I like about it is the quality construction and much more finished look than the MFJs. The two things I don't like are having to switch between SWR and Output readings and no light on the meter. The MFJs are what I learned on and the Drake is a different tuning exercise. Not bad, just different and as such I'm slower at tuning up. A situation that will solve itself with experience. The unit I ended up with is in near perfect condition, so I think it's got a home for a few decades. They just don't seem to make them like this one, anymore, and that's too bad.

K8DE Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2002 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have used a number of tuners for a number of different purposes over the years, and have settled on this one for a number of reasons. Good range of operation for matching, includes switch selected fixed caps to extend range. Also works on 160m. Can bypass all antennae from panel switch, and darn, it's even pretty. Like most Drake Wattmeters, the calibration is right on compared to my Bird, and consistent across the frequency range. Was fortunate to get an essentially unused unit from an estate sale. If you need a tuner, this is a good one (if it hasn't been abused in all the ways people beat up tuners....)

WD8OST Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2001 16:28 Send this review to a friend
drake mn 2700-no balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just bought one on qrz swap-sell. rec. today put to work tuned it on all bands did the job. have drake mn 2000 but no 160m ten -tec 229 all band to hard for old man to tune. mn 2700 hard to find. very happy with it .hope it keeps working well? run no more than 800 watt max.