Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Hi-Z Triangular Array System Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Z Triangular Array System
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$705.00
Description: This system was designed to utilize 3 shortened antennas with
Hi-Z amplifiers as a directional receiving antenna.
More info: http://www.hizantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Hi-Z Triangular Array System.

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this system when they first came out several years ago and have used it regularly since.

I live on a small city lot, no more than a quarter acre. I have tried a dozen receive antennas over the years looking to improve the all important signal to noise ratio. Nothing gave a meaningful improvement. Along came the 3 Element Array, so I thought I'd give one a try.

Everything about my situation is a compromise. I can't get a 40 foot triangle with equal sides, one of the elements is 3 feet lower than the other two, the corner of the house blocks the line of sight between two of the elements, two of the elements are near a metal fence and one of the elements is within 50 feet of my vertical. Not a pretty picture.

Still, the system is highly directive on 160 and 80 meters where I spend most of my time. It provides a very good improvement in signal to noise ratio over my vertical and has truly uncovered another layer of signals for me. It REALLY does work, even with all the compromises in my situation. I am amazed at its performance and am VERY happy with the decision to install one.

There is a REAL solution for city lot owners with challenging situations.

I can also run the legal limit with no harm to the array - a great feature.

This works great and is highly directive on the high bands as well, and signals that are barely readable on my SteppIR Vertical become Q5! It's like having a beam.

Highly recommended!

Bob/AA6VB

KA1J Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2014 23:11 Send this review to a friend
A marvelous receiving antenna system  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Taken from the Hi-Z website the description reads:

"This system was designed to utilize 3 shortened antennas with Hi-Z amplifiers as a directional receiving antenna. This new and unique circuit configuration uses Tri-Phase combining for extra accurate phasing and amplitude stability. This system uses only one delay line and provides a form of time delay phasing that provides more than one band coverage with the Hi-Z elements. This system was designed to operate over the 160,80, and 40 meter amateur bands but can be used from below the broadcast band to over 30MHz. A typical 50 foot square layout of 20 foot tall elements and Hi-Z amplifiers can provide 9.3 dB of Relative Directivity Factor and 30 dB of front to back ratio on 160 meters. Of course the best performance depends on the accuracy of the antenna layout, the accuracy of the connecting and phasing cables, and any interfering nearby structures."

I live in an area where there is a lot of line noise generated from the 25KV power lines Amtrak uses to power its trains. Until they went electric, this was a perfectly Rf quiet location for ham radio. Unfortunately that is forever history as my antennas are within 100 feet of these lines. Listening to the low bands with an Inv-L is difficult at best but add the power line noise, it's painful on the ears. I use a K3 with diversity and use the Rx antenna in the subreciever.

I made both a pennant and a flag which did help somewhat but did not give me the directivity I needed when I needed to quickly listen in different directions such as in a contest. I tried a magnetic loop but there are multiple locations the interference is coming from and though the loop was very helpful on the dual/diversity Rx and has a very small footprint, I decided to give a try with the Hi-Z Rx antennas which require more space. There are several different systems to choose from: 2 element, 3 element, 4 and 8 element systems. I chose the triangular array which provides 6 switchable directions.

I find the Hi-Z triangular system to be the best Rx antenna I have used thus far; it genuinely gives amazing front to back rejection of unwanted signals and a decent improvement in forward directivity. It was put to the test in the recent CQ 160M CW contest and I was able to hear numerous EU stations clearly and also hear the much louder US stations on the same frequency. The Inv-L could not hear most of the EU but the Triangular certainly did. To work this DX I ended up turning the diversity off on the K3, linked the Sub Rx & main receivers and turned the volume down to zero on the main Rx. Doing this meant I could only hear from the Hi-Z in my one ear. By shutting off the main Rx, I was no longer hearing with the Inv-L and with that, the triangular array knocked the stateside signals low enough I could hear even more EU because of the high front to back ratio nulling out the US stations. It was really surprising how effective it was. And you select directions at the turn of a rotary band-switch.

The higher in the bands you go, the less front to back you experience but for someone who can not put up a beam, this almost causes me to feel like I have one. I worked Amsterdam on 10M using the Hi-Z & the K3 in diversity. There was a marked improvement in the reception of this signal in the K3 using this Rx antenna and the 160M Inv-L (which I use for the 10M transmit antenna). I could barely hear FT5ZM on the Inv-L but it was much more understandable with the Hi-Z. Blending both antennas in the K3s diversity mode and they were Q5.

Sales are now through DX Engineering but the information on the Hi-Z website will answer most of your questions. I have no affiliation with either DXE or Hi-Z other than I bought this antenna system and am very pleased with it.