Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Connect Systems CS-700 Help

Reviews Summary for Connect Systems CS-700
Connect Systems CS-700 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $285.00
Description: Connect systems, CS-700 UHF DMR HT. The newest cheap radio you can buy and try out this DMR mode that is gaining support all over the world. The radio is a big hit! for more information please go to the link listed here.
More info: http://connectsystems.com/products/top/radios%20CS700.htm

You can write your own review of the Connect Systems CS-700.

KB4TXW Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2017 15:28 Send this review to a friend
CS750 Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a follow up to my previous review of the CS700 back in 2015. I now have a CS750 with the newest firmware, and all I can say is wow!

I decided to purchase a CS750 after reading all of the positive feedback online but I was a little hesitant after my prior experience with the 700.Well this time around I have a completely different opinion. First, the new firmware is great. You can load over 6,000 contacts, over 2,000 channels. The monitor function works both on digital and analog. On digital, it will show you the color code, time slot, talk group number and radio ID. In analog it breaks the squelch on a channel, good if you have PL set. It has a mic gain setting in the PC software, the TX and RX audio are excellent. The RX sensitivity is also fantastic. It feels good in hand and is easy to operate. The only negative for me is still the plastic blue PTT button. The other buttons and cover are rubberized, why can't they make the PTT the same? Hence the 4 instead of a 5. This is a powerful little radio that will only get better. Connect Systems has done a great job!

KD0HMH Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2016 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Great firststep into DMR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great first step into DMR Large learning curve is the reason foe the 4 but would recommend to anyone. Connect systems will update to a 750 for under $100 mine goes in soon.Great range and battery life.

KD0DUJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 08:59 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the CS-700 at local ham fest and I am impressed with this radio here is why the radio sounds crisp and clear on analog and digital the I like is that it the Motorola 2 pin speaker mics

VE2EBP Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2015 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio loaded with a lot of features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio. Audio is beautiful and totally smooooth... Actually, it has a much better audio on transmit and receive than some of the motorolas that I know such as the XPR6550.

The radio is sturdy. It's made all of metal inside so the radio doesn't get hot when transmitting for a long time, which is important for us, ragchewers...

I managed to perform a programming error which confused the radio. I was amazed at the warping speed and great Customer service at Connect Sys. They returned my call in a few minutes!

This company has a lot of potential for growth amongst the ham community.

Please investigate the CS750, their later model. My understanding is that it's pretty much the same radio inside except that it has 10,000 memories and contacts instead of 1000. Plus it comes with some added bonus features as ANI (MDC-1200), DTMF squech and I don't know what else.

None of them have built in GPS which would be nice for future versions.

I rated the radio 4 simply because the PTT doesn't 'feel' as sturdy as I would have expected for a radio of this class. A rubberized PTT would have been nice with swivel at the bottom of the PTT...

Other than that, I would recommend this radio, or even better, the 750 to any ham that wants to get in to DMR.

To end on an upside note, this radio comes with the charger and the programming software (and interface cable).

How can you go wrong? No need to go see a dealer to program your radio. It's all in the package and it's very easy to program. I figured it out within less than 1 hour, I had 4 repeaters programmed with all their talkgroups, etc.

Very very nice. Great job Connect Systems and thanks Jerry for your great and excellent service.

N8PMG Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2015 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 3rd DMR radio, with the others being Hytera professional models. The 700 compares very well to the more expensive Hyteras in performance. The software is a little less user friendly, but the price is definitely right. Battery life is good and I have had no problems of any kind.

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
VERY, VERY Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I almost gave it a "4" due to the "feel" of the PTT button. If it holds up the "5" stays, if not.."4".

Other than the PTT button feel, this is a VERY well built radio. I also have a Moto XPR-3500 and although the CS-700 is not a Moto, I think it is VERY close in build,look and feel. At less than HALF the PRICE!!
In a few weeks/months I will update my review. As this radio is for public saftey, it will get much harder use than in ham service.
KT4WO

K4JAR Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2015 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio and not cheap junk at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The price is right and the radio is very good and feels great in my hand. Anyone who says it is bulky or thick must have little tiny hands, it has a solid quality feel. I got mine from CIS and ordered an extra battery and the hand mike. It comes with a charger stand and the radio fits in it snugly and easily. You can leave it on while it is in the stand to keep it charged. Getting use to DMR audio will take a liitle getting use to, it is not crisp and clear as analog. Other than that DMR is really very cool to use.

The software is available online and there are several you tube videos that help you understand the setup. If you have a local ham group where someone can send you the code plug to use that will make things pretty simple. It's different and understanding the programing will take a little playing around if you are like me and what to fully understand it all. I wish the software was a bit more flexible and hope they update it soon with more features like being able to adjust the backlite time on and being able to search the digital contacts list that can hold 1000 ham call signs that are displayed when they are talking.

I have yet to get Radio Check to work. That is suppose to be able to tell you that someones radio is on - I guess you can just call them to find out too.

All in all this is a fine radio and great one to start out with on DMR without spending many times more for a Motorola.

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2015 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent! Does what I need  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just getting involved in ARES, and CT is moving toward standardizing on DMR. Bought the CS700 two months ago, and it has done everything I have asked from it. In other reviews, there have been comments about low audio, but not in my experience. I had one comment to that effect my first day using the HT, and adjusted my use slightly, and no further comments. Now, I use the speaker-mike, and don't think about that. Kudos to Jerry @ Connect Systems -- It just plain works, for a fraction of the price of MotoTrbo units. Maybe they do more, but the CS700 does what's needed.

73 Mike K1VI

AE5YJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2015 21:09 Send this review to a friend
my gateway into DMR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Loving this radio. Being a commercial set, it's features are pretty locked and straightforward. No real gripes, does suffer from slightly lower audio on xmit...you can always tell the moto users from the CS users. I find myself adjusting the volume frequently. Inexpensive, decent quality, and stable performance thus far. I wish there were some other settings I could change in the program, such as backlight intensity and duration but I suppose that is only a minor nitpick. Radio does what is is meant to and is built like a tank. I have dropped it a couple times with no issues whatsoever. I am thinking about buying a couple more for my vehicles. DMR is way to much fun, I highly recommend it. It has put some fun in my ham radio ops, where I was kindof getting stagnant. 73

N7KOB Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2015 19:01 Send this review to a friend
CS700, Great Radio for the Price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a gadget guy, and I've tried the ID-31A, and the FT-1DR. Seeing that I had some DMR repeaters in my area, I started looking for a way to give DMR a try.

Motorola radios have a great reputation and a price to go along with it. There are some other radios out there that fit my budget, but from what I can tell, don't come with a programming cable or software. Then I found the CS700 on ebay for about $250 with free shipping. Note: Shop around a little, after I got the radio and programmed it, I found a couple of online radio shops selling it in the sub $200 range, but not with free shipping.

You're getting a $250 dollar radio, don't expect all the features of the Motorola that costs two to three times the cost of the the CS700. What you are getting, however, is a radio that will connect to DMR repeaters and radios, has more than decent audio, comes with programming software and cable, and will get you up and running in just a few minutes.

Pros:
*Good audio
*With a codedrop, it was easy to configure with the Connect Systems software. NOTE: I actually downloaded the software the day I ordered the radio, and added the local FM UHF repeaters I planned on using as well.
*Budget friendly introduction to DMR

Cons:
*Bulky, It's a big radio, as far as HT's go, and by big, I mean thick, with the belt clip on, when I lay it on my desk, it sits almost two inches high.

There's the eternal debate going on about which digital mode is better. Everyone that has picked up one of the digital modes will tell you the one they're using is the best. I'm not getting into that argument. What I can tell you is this, the only way I can use DStar with my ID-31A is with a DVAP! With my FT1DR, I've had 1 digital QSO, and it went well, but the system fusion repeaters in my area are hard to get to. With DMR on the CS700, I have no problem getting to a repeater, and I've been on it daily since I got the radio. If I can offer any advice to someone looking at getting a digital capable radio, check repeaterbook.com for repeaters in your area, to make sure that whatever you're getting will work in your area.

DMR may not be for everyone, but I'm hooked, and eventually plan on getting the mobile version of this radio, the CS800.