Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Connect Systems CS-700 Help

Reviews Summary for Connect Systems CS-700
Connect Systems CS-700 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $285.00
Description: Connect systems, CS-700 UHF DMR HT. The newest cheap radio you can buy and try out this DMR mode that is gaining support all over the world. The radio is a big hit! for more information please go to the link listed here.
More info: http://connectsystems.com/products/top/radios%20CS700.htm

You can write your own review of the Connect Systems CS-700.

KE0AZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2015 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Fine rig, fine company.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my ticket since the late 70s and wanted to try something new, without spending a lot of $$. I treated myself to a CS700 and have enjoyed learning about DMR. Unfortunately, I had to send the radio back to CS after only a week. The earphone jack became intermittent and caused a loss of all received audio. Jerry sent me a new rig today, with as quick a turnaround as I could expect during the Christmas holidays. It's a fine rig and I'm already pondering building a 12V adapter for the car hookup. Five stars for the superlative customer service from Connect Systems. The programming software does what it's supposed to do.. a little spartan, but it seems to work fine. I highly recommend the CS700 if you're interested in trying DMR with a minimal investment.

WM4YD Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2014 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine installed a UHF DMR repeater a couple months ago. He bought several radios, including 2 CS700s to demonstrate the system to us. I was skeptical of the CS700 at first, until I used the radio for a few minutes. He loaned it to me to try, and I went ahead and bought it from him right then and there.

The only reason I give this a 4, is the programming software. There should be a way to copy & paste, as well as dropping and dragging zones and channels in the software.

This radio sounds as good as the big boys running Motorola radios. They key to digital radios is to keep your mic gain at normal setting and talk on the radio CORRECTLY. That means a normal tone and volume of voice. The Moto boys love to run their MIC gain up and talk loud into the radio.

Don't let the price of the CS700 fool you.

N5TWB Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Ready for regular use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my CS700 on Friday 11/14 so I wasn't able to do much beyond the battery charge on Friday evening. Waking up early Saturday, I knew I'd have it going by mid-morning. Boy, was I wrong!! My computer was not wanting to cooperate with the download and run process to install the program so I could put in the local code plug.

Another club member brought his computer over on Saturday afternoon so my radio could get programmed and operating. He let me play around with the code plug to do some customization for the way I use the radio and where I live. The program is very capable and easy to use with some experienced guidance. It has a couple of quirks regarding scan lists that you have to learn.

After he left, another user chimed in on the DMR system with a suggestion to solve my computer issues. Here's the tip for Win7 users: accessing the program from Connect Systems, select "Download" so your computer will put it in your Download file, select that download from the list by using your RIGHT CLICK to get the menu that will offer the option of "Run as Administrator." Select that and you should be off and running with the Install Wizard. Find a local code plug to put in the memory so you can shorten the learning curve.

I've played around with mine for about a day now but haven't tried to experience the North America or Worldwide part of the system. I'm looking forward to that.

The folks at Connect Systems are super to work with when placing your order. I was ordering three units and accessories, using two different cards. That didn't faze them a bit, total professionals. The only small glitch was the delivery projection by FedEx Home was off by a day.

Now I'm looking forward to their mobile radio that's due out soon.

Great value

KC9AXZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2014 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Bargain but not junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry in Belvidere IL. I must say he is a very intelligent person. Jerry is a person who seems genuinely honest and sincere.

The real reason for this post is to give my first impression of the CS700. I purchased two of these radios from him and added myself to the list for the CS7000 when it gets released.

I have no previous experience with DMR. There are no DMR repeaters where I live (Wisconsin). This is why I purchased two. I purchased one for a friend so we could try DMR on simplex. Since I travel extensively I'll try out repeaters as soon as I get a chance, very soon.

The radios come nicely packaged with a solid fit in the box. I did the usual quick assembly of the radio. They powered up no problem.  I ran through the short simple menu then put them on the charger for the night. I went and downloaded the driver for the program cable and installed it. It was quick and painless for Windows 7 64 bit. I then downloaded the programming software. That software installation was just as easy as the driver install. When I opened the software that is when I seen I needed to investigate things first. I found a nice complete video on YouTube that did a great job showing what needs to be done to make the radio play. After watching the half hour video I was pretty confident I knew what to do. I had about 32 channels both digital and analog programmed in about an hour. I loaded up my work which took about a minute per radio and turned them on. Both worked flawlessly first try! Now I'll have to spend a few hours finishing up what I started.

These radios have great received audio as well as volume.  The audio in analog both simplex and through repeaters got great reports. DMR simplex audio was just as impressive. These radios should be easy to hear in both quiet and loud environments.

The feeling of the radio is very nice. They feel solid and right for the size in your hand. They definitely do not feel like a toy.

Bottom line is I'm completely sure that anyone who purchases the Connect Systems products will be extremely happy with the product.

M0CFM Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2014 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased my CS700 and CS701 from Taylor Made RF here in the UK, the radio is of good quality and looks good, audio is good on both Digital and Analogue, it also feels good in the hand!
The software is a breeze to use and the radio comes fully loaded with all UK repeaters and Simplex channels with the supplier providing a free CodePlug update every couple of months as a free download from his website!
this is not a Motorola, but for the price in my opinion cant be beat!

AB1AW Rating: 2/5 Jul 27, 2014 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Cannot program it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a CS701 new from CSI a couple of weeks ago. I read the instructions and downloaded the programming software from the CSI URL (http://connectsystems.com/products/manuals/CS700_V1.19.exe).

When I tried to install the software, Windows complained that the installation package could not be executed because it was corrupted.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I tried all possible compatibility modes, running as administrator, 32/64 bit modes, etc. No success.

I contacted Jerry at CSI and was told to go to the Yahoo group for info.

I scoured the Yahoo CS700 group for answers but found none.

I've heard and read lots of great words about this HT, and I am itching to use it. If I could just get the programming software running :(

W2CCR Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Best value DMR radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for about 3 months, and I can't get enough of it or DMR. There are only two DMR repeaters in my area (linked to DMR-MARC and NJ TRBO), but the performance of the mode is outstanding. I can hit the best repeater in the area on 4 watts about 53 miles away. The programming software is easy to learn, and the support community (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/csidmr) is there for anything you may need.

If you're a HAM, order from Jerry (the owner) direct from Connect Systems, and get yourself into DMR for only a $200 investment, as opposed to $300 and up with Hytera, Vertex, or Moto. We know us hams are the cheapest bastards out there ;)

WB0YLE Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wow. DStar, look out.

Purchased this on the advice of a fellow ham, in the commercial service who recommended it. Not dissatisfied at all.

Plusses:

1. Price. Hey, $180 for a DMR/Analog HT, 4w, 1000 channels, that works? Yeah.
2. Software: free
3. Programming cable: $5. (USB guts are in the radio. What a concept. You can hack the cable yourself if you know what end of a soldering iron to hold and read a diagram from the Yahoo Group file area)
4. Did I say Price? Yeah, thought so.
5. Audio quality on both analog and DMR is great.
6. Spectral purity: looked at it on an SA. It's clean.
7. Flexibility: scored a batwing hand mic, plugged it in, works fine. Same with the reverse SMA to BNC so I can use an external antenna in my car.
8. Battery life: on DMR, outstanding (the ht only transmits 1/2 the time due to the TDMA protocol on the timeslot you're using, so...it's equivalently half the draw over time averaged out). Analog? About the same as you get from Wouxun or Baofeng.

Cons:

1. Still some issues with the firmware; but, Jerry at CSI is great with getting the coders to do what they need to do. So, realize you're on the bleeding edge of this product in the market, so, there ARE bugs to work out.
2. Programming software, while free, comes with a learning curve. Best thing to do is join the Yahoogroups CSIDMR group, grab an already debugged plug from the file area, load it in, and see how it is put together. Or not, just pour it into yours (if there is one for your area) and have at it.
3. On-rig menu is not intuitive. But you get used to it.
4. Zone changes require going into the menu rather than being programmable to an external button.

All in all...if you're wanting to get into a new digital mode, international standard, supported by more than one manufacturer, and that just works with minimal BS...you can't go wrong.

(I was so impressed, I bought a Batwing XPR8400 repeater, put it on the air in the North Philly area (447.125, -5MHz input, Color Code 1, TS1 and 2, local on TS2, 100w @ 480') and am spreading the news. So, you will NOT be sorry.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2014 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been radio tech for more than 45 years of my life and always been designing, repairing and tunning VHF and UHF FM radios, actually today I work with Motorola radios.
I purchased this CS-700 for a friend of mine and arrived last week, built the codeplug which for me is a little more complex than the Motorola and Hytera radios but could made it fine with several zones and 16 talkgroups (channels) on each one covering the whole state of FL for all analong and DMR systems.
First tests were excellent, the received audio is better than my actual Hytera in terms of fidelity with mototurbo protocol. In analog it sounds the same.Tx audio was reported the same.
When tested on the bench with instruments, it shows a squelch sensitivity of 0.15 microvolts and a 12 db sinad with 0.25 microvolts as any other Motorola commercial radio. The power output even is rated at 4W the unit I tested was making 4.5W.Freq error was just 10 Hz. Best of all is that this radio keeps this specs in the whole band from 440 to 448 Mhz without any degradation.
I think this radio is the best deal today on the market because paying just $185 at CSI is a bargain for a radio that do mixed modes in analog and digital.
Nobody knows of course about long lasting quality because radios are aout there for less than a year but time will say.
Without a doubt is a very good investment for a new entry on the digital world of hamradio.

Hector
AD4C

VE7KTB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2014 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Like it a lot   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owned my radio for a total of 3 days now.

While there is not a DMR repeater where I live, I have played on simplex with another CS-700 owner. While the audio is 'digital' it is decent, better than DStar, Provoice, and P25(other modes listened to with real subscriber radios, NOT scanners)

This radio is simple to program, the software is free, and it took me all of 5 minutes to read the radio, then write a premade code plug back into it.

The software is very easy to use, anyone with any LMR at software experience will likely not need any assistance in learning it.

I have the feeling this radio, with the minor bugs it currently has, will become my go to radio even though it is a mono bander, I rarely use VHF unless there is no other option.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that this is not a Motorola radio, but it is NOT at the Motorola price point either.

I am not sure where the $285 price came from, but I get mine for CA$302.50, including a spare battery, programming cable, and a speaker mic shipped to my door. Radio actual price is US$185, (radio charger and battery) pay any more and you paid too much.

I really like this radio, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a low cost way to get into DMR.

Buy it from Jerry, DO NOT BUY this radio off of eBay, you are paying $100 over what Jerry is selling them for.