Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | popular communications Help

Reviews Summary for popular communications
Reviews: 57 Average rating: 2.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: magazine for shortwave,cb,scanner listeners some amateur radio articles

You can write your own review of the popular communications.

W4FJT Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great in the day  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was great back in the day. The monitoring hobby is a victim of technology. Through no fault of their own, Pop Comm became insolvent, along with Monitoring Times, Radio Shack, well you name it.

It lives on in CQ Plus, a digital publication that works fine on a pad. It's the future of publications, like it or not. We only go forward, we can't go back.

N2MWE Rating: 1/5 Jun 11, 2014 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Downhill  Time owned: more than 12 months
Went downhill after Tom Kneitel gave it up. Rest in peace, Tom.

K3VYY Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2013 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Magazines not delivered!  Time owned: more than 12 months
2013 has been marked by late deliveries. I had to call to get an August issue which I never received, September and October were late, and have not gotten an issue since October. My susbscription expires May 2015.

KX7P Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2010 02:16 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I subscribed years ago and let my subscription lapse. I started up again and noticed it's not as informative as it use to be. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the magazine just does not hold my interest like it did years ago. Maybe it's me, I don't know for sure.

It's ok, it has some good articles, but overall it's just an OK magazine at this time.

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2010 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Always have read it; Always will  Time owned: more than 12 months
Popular Communications has something for everybody! I've enjoyed every issue since 1992 and I still read it every month!

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2010 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Still like it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a subscriber since it's debut. It's getting a bit stale now but I still renew everytime. Nothing else available that I like.

Gordo's articles are really getting strange. Must be the California water.

I dropped Monitoring Times years ago because of the center section of frequencies that goes on for pages and pages and is really not relevent due to internet radio availability.

W2MV Rating: 2/5 Jul 14, 2010 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Some Issues OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently subscribe and will not renew. I've subscribed for several years now.
There are some issues which contain material that is worthwhile to me, but they are not very frequent.
The problem is that most of the material is not applicable to what I'm looking for.

W8AAZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 19, 2009 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Pick n choose  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have read this mag off and on for decades but lately not very often. I have always bought it exclusively off the newsstands, etc. So if you are in the grocery, it is worth picking it up and flipping thru it to see if anything is relevent to you. If it has something you need or want to know, buy it and read it. If it is full of scanner frequencies for Chinese tug boats or something, I pass on that issue. Pick and choose. Buy at retail and save the subscription cost. Might be only one issue a year that you want.

KC8SLC Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2007 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Lost interest!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not enough indepth details on the radio rebuilds and product reviews. I also quickly grew tired of Harold's political trash articles. I did notice a change after Harold left, but lost interest by then and could not wait for my subscription to run out. I enjoy my Monitoring Times because of the projects and rebuilds are far better!! Sorry Pop Com, Tim.

KC9GUZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2007 06:26 Send this review to a friend
not as good as it used to be  Time owned: more than 12 months
I subscribed to Popp comm back in the early to mid 1990s and back then it still had some great reading. I picked one up at Borders a few months back and it seems like the material has gotten pretty stale. They even completely eliminated CB scene and a few other nice sections. The mag' is not of interest ot me anymore..