Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-D710GE Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-D710GE
Kenwood TM-D710GE Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $600
Description: TM-D710GE
VHF/UHF FM Mobile Transceiver with GPS - APRS and EchoLink Functionality
MAIN FEATURES :
New model with built-in GPS unit
Dual Receive on the same band
Built-in TNC & APRS® Ready
Multifunction Key Display
EchoLink® Memory
High RF Power Output
EchoLink® NODE TERMINAL Operation

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-D710GE.

W4FDF Rating: 4/5 Jun 7, 2017 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Nice, but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a TM D710A with a Green Light Labs GPS 710 for several years and love it. I purchased the D710GA for the same vehicle and moved the 710A to a less frequently used vehicle. I have the control head mounted in front of my manual transmission shifter just as it was for the 710A. The GPS 710 would always sync immediately with the satellites the instant the car was backed out of the garage. The GPS on the 710GA, however, takes up to ten or fifteen minutes to sync. I think I may have to move the 710A back to the original vehicle which I use much more frequently. Disappointing.

IZ1PON Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 06:52 Send this review to a friend
TM-D710GE: Eccellente  Time owned: more than 12 months
Il nuovo TM-D710GE risulta un ricetrasmettitore, che come successore dei precedenti modelli di successo (serie D700), rappresenta una ulteriore pietra miliare nel programma Kenwood mobile FM.
Le principali qualità sono:
- GPS,APRS,ECHOLINK,TNC Packet di serie integrati nella radio
- pannello di controllo ergonomico e completo sia per uso mobile che per uso fisso (forse la Kenwood è l'unica che ha considerato in modo serio l'uso fisso di un apparato solo VHF-UHF)
- ottima qualità audio sia in TX che RX (prerogativa Kenwood)
- software di controllo e gestione Kenwood(scaricabile gratuitamente) molto ben fatto ed intuibile
- sistema SKY COMMAND che rende pilotabile da remoto la propria stazione HF
La qualità di costruzione e dei materiali è ottima e nella confezione vi sono tutti gli accessori utili per le varie conformazioni.
In definitiva una radio che ha tutto quello che serve per un traffico VHF-UHF di alto livello.

M0AZE Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2016 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a User of eHam on a regular basis and there seems prolific number of 5/5. When you delve into the detail they should not be. How else are we to get the main manufactureres to raise the bar? SubD connectors - really. Poor applications to program you're rig only Windows based - really! Are they not aware that this is 2016. USB and OSX have been around for a while now. So Kenwood and Yaesu need to get their act together. These radios are not cheap - we the radio community are letting them get away with it when we have the power to make them change. This is a lovely set that could be much much better given its 500 British pounds.. We are being sold short by laziness from companies who profess to be technically ahead of the times.

WA5RR Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Keeps Getting Better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a D-700, D-710G, and now the D-710GA. The platform has always been feature-rich and functional.

The only problem I've run into so far is a zero-ohm resistor that blew on the main control board that prevented the radio from powering on. I suspect it had to do with not turning off the radio before starting my vehicle. The voltage drop caused the radio to turn on and off rapidly.

The radio sat on the shelf for about six months and my wife bought me a TM-V71A for C?hristmas. I finally sent it off for out-of-warranty repair and it's the best $144 I've spent. When I got it back in working order, I truly realized how much I missed it.

Running APRS on one side of the radio and keeping the other side tuned to a 440 repeater is very handy. The best part about the GA-model is the built-in GPS inside the control head. This results in less wires and power requirements. I use the GPS output from the COM connector on the control head to feed real-time GPS information to my laptop which runs MS Streets and Trips.

AF5QR Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2015 19:13 Send this review to a friend
A good, solid workhorse  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the latest offering in Kenwoods 700-series dual-bander line, and to say it's "good" is an understatement. It's got the bells and whistles necessary to keep the serious techofetishists happy, but it's also a workhorse radio that doesn't hide things 20 levels deep in obscure menus. In fact, you're never more than just a couple of clicks away from what you need, and this is why I love it.

The physical design just makes sense. Originally, I didn't think I'd like the split "head" and "working guts" design ethic, but after using it for a while, that hesitation is gone. It just flat works. Nice to have just the display out where you can see it while the noisy/hot bits hide out of the way somewhere. This design also shortens the RF feed distance, which at UHF frequencies with small diameter cables can be a noticeable improvement in weak-signal conditions.

But the real reason I give this critter a solid "5" is this: It. Just. Works. It's solid in every way and does not suffer from the "Nintendo" design ethic that other dual-banders seem to have. The menus are thoughtfully done, and the stuff you need to have right at your fingertips have "shortcuts" built right in. After an hour or two, it becomes intuitive. You can concentrate on your QSOs without the radio interface getting in the way.

The built-in TNC does APRS without any external hardware, reporting position, speed, heading, altitude, etc. GPS acquisition times from a cold-start are minimal too. And it has a position de-resolution feature that alters your displayed position by 1, 2, 3 or even 4 decimal places, so your *general* location can be sent without worrying about ex-wives tracking you down to your doorstep. (I like that. heheheh).

tl-dr: This is a very nice radio. Excellent audio quality, great range and good power output, and it's fairly tolerant of supply variations, and native APRS makes this an excellent choice for both mobile and base use. If you can part with 6 bills, it's a heck of a radio that wont let you down and you won't outgrow it.

VA3BRW Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great! But...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is very good. I've progressed through the D700, the D710A, and now the 'G,' which I have had for a couple of months now. I would recommend it highly. However, this past weekend, I discovered a design error. The G can log a trip (iLog) based on time, distance, or better yet, the chosen beaconing algorithm. Unfortunately one must actually beacon (i.e. transmit) in order for the data to be recorded. Realistically, the Smart Beaconing algorithm makes for an accurate, compact track, and would be a great track to record using iLog. Unfortunately, one must actually beacon in order for the recording to take place. The only way to record while 'silent' running is to choose either time or distance. Perhaps a future update will enable the recording of tracks based on the Smart Beaconing settings, without actually having to transmit.

VE2EQL Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Another Winner   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a D700, D710A and now the D710GA that I purchased. The 710GA is going into the newer car, and I'll put the 710A in our Minivan, which my YL (Also a ham, VE2SZN) drives. If you are looking to get into APRS, this is the way to go. On my older D710A I was using the Greenlabs GPS module, which is compact and works greats. Having everything built in the head is a no-brainer.
I have a lot of different radio manufacturers products, and KENWOOD, leads the field with VHF/UHF transceivers like the D710GA.

KB0USY Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
nice updates  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the d 700,the 710a.Now a tm-d710g.They are all very good aprs based radios.The reason for the new gps inside the radio unit is because I dropped my head on its end and broke the lcd screen.I called HRO to order a rc710 head.None in stock.Bit the bullet and bought the radio.very happy with the new features.but did find a new rc710 from AES.that older 710 is like new.I keep buying the Kenwood stuff because they took care of the receive filters that went south.Very big campaign!Even paid to shipback to me!

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2014 02:55 Send this review to a friend
TOP Transceiver   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutly like this new transceiver with the built in GPS functionality! Robust as the former 710E version, handling and size is perfect in this GPS/APRS duo bander VHF-UHF 50W transceiver class. The broad band receiver with up to SHF band is a great enhancement.
All in all the standard and flagship
in a all-in device.
Great stuff, easy to use.
I can recommend it to other HAMs in the world.