Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Wilson 1000 antenna (10M) Help

Reviews Summary for Wilson 1000 antenna (10M)
Wilson 1000 antenna (10M) Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60 - 70
Description: Wilson 1000 base-loaded 1/4 wave. Frequency Range: 26-30MHz.. Available in roof top mount, trunk mount, and magnet mount. 10 gauge silver plated coil winding and 62" stainless steel whip.
More info: http://www.wilsonantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Wilson 1000 antenna (10M).

WA2SI Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the Wilson 1000 mobile 10/11-meter antenna for well over 20 years. It's always provided reliable good performance. My moblile rig is the venerable Realistic HTX-100 10-meter CW/USB xcvr. The combo allows my daily commute to/from work to actually be enjoyable and go by more quickly. Highly recommended. Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

KC3BER Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 20:15 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Wilson 1000 magnet mount on my parent's car when I was a kid about 20 years ago. I used it for CB and I remember it worked amazing. All the cool CB guys had em! HAHA I got back into radio about 2 years ago, got my extra class license, so I bought another Wilson 1000 about a year ago for a 10 meter radio I throw in my truck for long trips, and they still work amazing! I've worked Europe, South Africa and South America from a piece of junk 10 meter radio and the Wilson 1000 magnet mount. It just works great. That's all you need to know. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

KD4ONT Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 00:32 Send this review to a friend
I was shocked how much bandwidth it had at an acceptable swr!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first radio for HF is a 10m only radio. I tried to tune a Larsen 27-nmo for my rig. The antenna analyzer said that the antenna was reading 50ohms but it wasn't going to play nicely with the radio, no matter the frequency. Trying to tune the Larsen to 11m showed its performance was very bad. I installed the 1000 and the analyzer said it was a good antenna to use. I cut almost three inches off the whip before I finally got the swrs to an acceptable level. I have, on am dead key of less than 10 watts, 1.2swr on 28.3 and 1.5 on 29.3. Very acceptable readings IMO. My very first contact on 10m was Colorado; 1700+ miles and zero s-meter reading. The other station had good copy on my transmission. I wasn't a 5-9, and it was less than an hour after sunset, but he heard me! The mount, on my trunk, isn't 100% vertical either. I have tried antenna shootouts in the past, and the only antenna that can beat this is a 102" whip. But then again, like so many other reviewers have said, what mount, on a typical vehicle, can accommodate a 102? I firmly believe that this antenna is a very acceptable compromise vs a true 1/4 wave whip on a mobile! You can't get much better than a Wilson without going to a much larger antenna! Considering what you would need to go through to install a 102 properly, the Wilson will not disappoint you if you properly cut and tune it to where you want to transmit! I don't know the bandwidth of a mag mount, but a trunk lip mount, with a UHF to nmo adapter will work great! That is my setup.

AE2K Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new Wilson 1000 magnetic mount from Cheapham.com ($69.00) for use on 10 meters in the car with my Radio Shack HTX-10, 25 watt mobile.

I trimmed the antenna by using a bolt cutter in 1/4 inch intervals until I got a little under 1.2 SWR at 28.500 with an antenna analyzer. I also got similar SWR's above and below 28.500.

Well, today was the time to fire it up and test everything out. I just got two great DX SSB contacts while mobile in Yonkers, NY to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with 57 reports both ways. Awesome contacts so far at 4800 miles.

KX6G Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Works just as good on 10m  Time owned: more than 12 months
...but I knew it would. First used as an 11m mobile, in my cb days. With my ic-706 in the truck now, I couldn't be more pleased. Used the antenna trim chart located on Wilson's website, and made one small trim after checking with an antenna analyzer which brought me in
at 28.40mhz
1.1 50ohms

With that taken care of, off to the Callippe Preserve golf course parking lot [to get some more altitude] where I was able to make a contact in North Carolina and Northern Ireland.

The added bonus is the excellent general coverage receive across the hf band. Did I mention it is the Magnet mount version...

Not bad I'd say!

NC4TB Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 16:45 Send this review to a friend
WELL WORTH THE PRICE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the US production antennas. It was simple to trim the whip to 10m and seems to work well despite the magnetic mount [Its on the roof of a full size pickup]. The magnetic mount holds it in place unless I hit something solid Here's a zinger: Got tired of hitting low hanging limbs, canopies, etc. I discovered Wilson has a center load whip which can be used with the 1000 coil. They didn't recommend it for use on 10m but I have made contacts all over the US and some as far away as Brazil with it and 25w. I have had zero problems with this product.

RAINS Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2010 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Works better than it should!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Wilson 5000 mag mount version. (really did not want to drill another hole just for 10m) Anyway paid $40usd used. Man this is a great antenna! Very flexible for use in brushy areas. The receive is very good (much better than my 10m dipole) and TX works well for DX. Have not used it for local chatter yet. I did a lot of research and this antenna came up as one of the best for 10m mobile use. I have talked to Hawaii 25w, Florida 25wm Texas 25w, Brazil 100w, Australia 100w, French Polynesia 100w, the south cook islands 100w and the list goes on. It tuned down on 10m very easily. A great antenna well worth the $100usd price tag. I really like it!

XE2VOO Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Antena!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Is a Excelent Antena For 10 Meters.

N5TGL Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Great performing antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First I want to make 100% clear to everyone, this antenna is made in the USA. Says that right on the box.

After debating on how to do 10m mobile (mag mount or 102" whip) I ended up getting the Wilson 1000. This was based off of reviews here, local folks reporting excellent performance and talking to ham shops (who didn't even carry it, so no pecuniary interest in giving a good review) who all said it was a great antenna. I gotta admit that most CB stuff is WAY overhyped and doesn't perform well, so I was understandibly concerned that it wouldn't live up to expectations.

Got the antenna from the local shop here. I think the MSRP needs to be updated, because you won't find them for $60 - $70. Ebay's best price with shipping is around $80. There are other CB shops online who are selling them, but I didn't really trust those folks all that much. I also went local to support my local ham shop, and so I could get it NOW! :)

The whip is cut for 11m operation out of the box, it will need to be trimmed about 1.5" from the base to get it to match around 28.400. I used my MFJ analyzer to help out, sure am glad I got that thing! I got it pretty close, but I still need to cut another inch off of it to get a better match, but I'm around 1.5:1 now. Always make sure you measure from where it will be installed, as the capacitive coupling from the car body will affect your SWR. I've been told that you can't get good enough coupling with a mag mount for 10m, but I beg to differ. The antenna behaves very well on the car. Run as much coax over the roof as you can, as that will help the antenna capacitively couple to the car body.

Trimming the whip (from the bottom) is very easy if you use a dremel with the cutting wheel. If you don't, you are going to be swearing at it with a set of dykes and sore hands.

So, first contact was with a HTX-10 sitting in the driveway, and I worked Costa Rica. Not too shabby for 25w SSB and a cigarette lighter plug. I've got a little bit more trimming to do, and that will help even more, but this antenna really lives up to the hype. Definitely recommended for anyone who wants to work 10m mobile effectively.

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 22:12 Send this review to a friend
MADE IN USA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Wilson 1000 for many years. It was and still is the best coil loaded antenna on the market for CB and 10 meter mobile use. I have compared the W1000 with many mobile antennas including the K40. The W1000 blew them all away. Mine was hard mounted to the center of the roof.

The only antenna I found that could beat the W1000, but not by much, was a full 1/4 wave steele whip hard mounted on the trunk lid cut for 10M. Both the W1000 and the whip proved to be quiet antennas, but the whip has a little better gain for TX and Rec.

Wilson also makes a 2 meter antenna designed like the W1000. It beats any mono-band antenna on 2M. You can't beat a Wilson antenna for quality.

They are NOT made in China. According to the Wilson website today, the manufacturing facilities of Wilson Antenna moved in 2003 to new facilities in Rock Island (in the Davenport-Moline metro area). All Wilson antennas are now manufactured from this new location.

At the bottom of every page of the Wilson website is a big American flag with the words, MADE IN THE U.S.A.