Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Wouxun KG-UV950P Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV950P
Wouxun KG-UV950P Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $369
Description: The Wouxun KG-UV950P is a new Quad Band base/mobile two way radio packed with a plethora of features at an unbelievably affordable price. With four band transmission and eight band reception, this powerful radio delivers up to 40 watts UHF and 50 watts VHF for maximum range and power at extremely low cost!
More info: http://www.wouxon.com

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV950P.

LISTENER007 Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2014 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Initially - not bad at all..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a Wouxun KG-UV8D hand held dual bander now for a handful of months and mostly it has been a good little radio, but I was also on the market for a newer base/mobile dual bander as well, so I decided to put a bit of extended trust into the new KG-UV950P. Programming was a bit easier than the UV8D, especially with the memory channels, not only because of the difference styles of programming methods but also because of the 950's mic with all the buttons needed to run this radio from a small distance. I was a bit stumped at why the 950 has so many internal speakers (3 all up including the mic speaker) but getting externally attached speakers to fire up was a bit of a tiny mission on its own, all controlled through menu option 24. I had to have two external speakers plugged in to stop the inernal ones from radiating sound - hmmmmm...!!

After that though, programming memory channels was quite a breeze and the only chore was deciding the default settings for your own preferences, and that was of minor consequence. In short, the 950P is quite easily set up and within a couple of hours of mixing and trying some of the options and with a handful of memory channels programmed in, you should have it ready to fire up for the first time. I've heard my own 950P from the receive end, via a repeater and I have to say it sounds as good as any other of the multitude of radios out there but then again, most radios sound different on every repeater.

One thing that I have to say is that I don't quite know why Wouxun decided to clutter up the display by having all those decimal places and zeroes to the max. It just looks a bit cluttered an unnecessary. I know it's because of the repeater offset option but they could have stopped so many zeroes from showing up during normal use. It looks like one large string of numbers from one side of the display to the other. Instead, they could have had the memory channel numbers a little larger. They're like fine little hairs and one has to be quite close to see them. Mind you the colour blue is not that hot for daytime use (pretty though), nor is green and white looks to sterile, so the choice of LED colours is a little limited by choice. The standard yellow or even a less bolder green would have been very welcome. Still though, these are just my own gripes and anyone else might see them "in a different light" - ya get it..!!! Well I thought it was funny...

Actual usage and ease of use, once proegrammed, is as good and friendly as any other V/UHF radio I have ever owned or used. Absolutely no complaints here at all. I like it in this respect. I also like the layout of the buttons across the front panel, with all the more needed adjustments at hand - well done Wouxun. In my humble opinion, the most applaudable feature of normal use is the microphone. It has basically everything on hand to operate the radio without having to reach over and stumble about at arms length. I really like this set up...

Well, it's early days yet and there's a lot of testing to do over the coming weeks an months so I am hoping for a clean burning on air performance from my 950P. It sure gives me the impression it is capable of it. I'll try to blow out any cobwebs it had prior to shipping. This one came driectly from the China factory, so there shouldn't be any/many at all.. Here's hoping..!!

K4BWG Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good. More to report later  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new KG-UV950P and have had no issues as of yet. The programming is straight forward both from the front panel as well as using a PC.

The manual as expected is a little lacking on clarity but much better than some others I have seen.

I will bench test in the future and update with results. Mobile so far it's RX sensitivity and TX reports are good.

I am using a ~57" whip on 50/144/440 with SWR <2:1 on all three bands (1/4 wave on 50, 3 1/4waves on 144, and 9 1/4waves on 440). That is the main reason I chose this radio was to use a single mobile whip. It works- it's simple- it's cheaper than the Diamond/Comet variations. Give it a try.

I have little interest using it on 10M FM so I have not tested it on this band at all.

For the price and features I would recommend it and may purchase another in the future along with a Yaesu 8900 for comparison. The main reason I picked the Wouxon over the Yaesu is 1. The single TX/RX connector as opposed to the 8900's 2 (given my antenna setup). 2. My displeasure and issues with Yaesu mobiles (the 8000, 8100, and 2900 in particular). Older one were great. 3. And of course cost. The Wouxon came with the remote kit and software/programming cable for about $80 less than a discounted 8900's price.

W3TWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great offering, and I am sure it will get better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"If the software worked, I would have kept it."

Oh please! Everyone is so against manual programming anymore - you know what happens when you let things "do for you" more and more right?

I rated this as a 5 because as far as I know, it is all it says it is out of the box. I have read the reviews, and I see complaints of power - well, if I can get the job done with the power the way it is, I count that a 5.

Programming this radio is probably the easiest that has come across my desk since my old KW TM-631A. The advantage here is everything can be done from the microphone, and that mic is quite hand filling and the right weight, AND... it has a speaker in it that is just about as good as the chassis speaker, and the control roller on the mic is even finer than the head unit control. Seriously, just like any of the simplest HTs, once you have entered in about three repeater pairs, your next 90 will fly right in, it is that easy.

This radio is gonna take it's share of flack, and there will be a lot of whining about what it won't do - well, it's not a FT-8900, and guess what? It doesn't have that price tag either, and last I checked, the 8900 didn't come with a fully controlling speaker mic, out of the box.

I am not sure and have not explored the cross band repeat function, and really don't care that much about it anyway, and there is a bunch of other capabilities I have not gotten around to trying out, but this is only the fourth day with the radio and from the standpoint of getting it out of the box and on the air, this thing rocks!

KC9WXN Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
would have kept...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was excited to have purchased this radio at first. No doubt that it would transmit and receive to ones pleasure, BUT- it has a programming issue. I purchased the cable along with the software. Communication between radio and computer was established. I inputted a couple of dozen repeaters, wrote to the radio with it, the radio only received like the first two channels. I tried this that, I researched and found it was an issue. No good. There was no report of this on either the dealer or the wouxun site. The volume is annoying as reported even though the knob did not feel like an encoder knob. The manual does not give any examples of programming, just a straight shot at the functions like a flow chart. I had to "you tube" on how to program a frequency into memory. Anyway, I was annoyed by it and returning. There are better choices of radios. If the software worked, I would have kept it.