Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Wouxun KG-UV950P Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV950P
Wouxun KG-UV950P Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $369
Description: The Wouxun KG-UV950P is a new Quad Band base/mobile two way radio packed with a plethora of features at an unbelievably affordable price. With four band transmission and eight band reception, this powerful radio delivers up to 40 watts UHF and 50 watts VHF for maximum range and power at extremely low cost!
More info: http://www.wouxon.com

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV950P.

K4BWG Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good. More to report later  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new KG-UV950P and have had no issues as of yet. The programming is straight forward both from the front panel as well as using a PC.

The manual as expected is a little lacking on clarity but much better than some others I have seen.

I will bench test in the future and update with results. Mobile so far it's RX sensitivity and TX reports are good.

I am using a ~57" whip on 50/144/440 with SWR <2:1 on all three bands (1/4 wave on 50, 3 1/4waves on 144, and 9 1/4waves on 440). That is the main reason I chose this radio was to use a single mobile whip. It works- it's simple- it's cheaper than the Diamond/Comet variations. Give it a try.

I have little interest using it on 10M FM so I have not tested it on this band at all.

For the price and features I would recommend it and may purchase another in the future along with a Yaesu 8900 for comparison. The main reason I picked the Wouxon over the Yaesu is 1. The single TX/RX connector as opposed to the 8900's 2 (given my antenna setup). 2. My displeasure and issues with Yaesu mobiles (the 8000, 8100, and 2900 in particular). Older one were great. 3. And of course cost. The Wouxon came with the remote kit and software/programming cable for about $80 less than a discounted 8900's price.

W3TWG Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great offering, and I am sure it will get better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"If the software worked, I would have kept it."

Oh please! Everyone is so against manual programming anymore - you know what happens when you let things "do for you" more and more right?

I rated this as a 5 because as far as I know, it is all it says it is out of the box. I have read the reviews, and I see complaints of power - well, if I can get the job done with the power the way it is, I count that a 5.

Programming this radio is probably the easiest that has come across my desk since my old KW TM-631A. The advantage here is everything can be done from the microphone, and that mic is quite hand filling and the right weight, AND... it has a speaker in it that is just about as good as the chassis speaker, and the control roller on the mic is even finer than the head unit control. Seriously, just like any of the simplest HTs, once you have entered in about three repeater pairs, your next 90 will fly right in, it is that easy.

This radio is gonna take it's share of flack, and there will be a lot of whining about what it won't do - well, it's not a FT-8900, and guess what? It doesn't have that price tag either, and last I checked, the 8900 didn't come with a fully controlling speaker mic, out of the box.

I am not sure and have not explored the cross band repeat function, and really don't care that much about it anyway, and there is a bunch of other capabilities I have not gotten around to trying out, but this is only the fourth day with the radio and from the standpoint of getting it out of the box and on the air, this thing rocks!

KC9WXN Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
would have kept...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was excited to have purchased this radio at first. No doubt that it would transmit and receive to ones pleasure, BUT- it has a programming issue. I purchased the cable along with the software. Communication between radio and computer was established. I inputted a couple of dozen repeaters, wrote to the radio with it, the radio only received like the first two channels. I tried this that, I researched and found it was an issue. No good. There was no report of this on either the dealer or the wouxun site. The volume is annoying as reported even though the knob did not feel like an encoder knob. The manual does not give any examples of programming, just a straight shot at the functions like a flow chart. I had to "you tube" on how to program a frequency into memory. Anyway, I was annoyed by it and returning. There are better choices of radios. If the software worked, I would have kept it.